Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 08:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by snead [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
there's plenty of pvp zones where you can exp to say they are separate is incorrect. one whole zone dedicated to pve/pvp -- darkness falls. let alone the other places you can level and pvp.
Right, there's some overlap, although it can be avoided if a player wishes to do so. My earlier post was a brief description for a newbie to the game and not intended to give an exhaustive description.

------------------------------------

The similarity of dungeons stems from two primary causes. First DAOC was made within a tiny budget by online game standards, so there's a lot of asset re-use. Second, they attempted to maintain a realistically plausible setting, which more or less restricts underground dungeons to abandoned mines and catacombs.

-------------------------------------

If you're worried about having opponents to fight, shouldn't you pick Hibernia? That realm seems likely to have a "target-rich environment." During the beta Hibernia averaged about half the population of the other two realms; a 40/40/20 split seemed typical.

Danth
Old 12-10-2016, 01:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Right, there's some overlap, although it can be avoided if a player wishes to do so. My earlier post was a brief description for a newbie to the game and not intended to give an exhaustive description.

------------------------------------

The similarity of dungeons stems from two primary causes. First DAOC was made within a tiny budget by online game standards, so there's a lot of asset re-use. Second, they attempted to maintain a realistically plausible setting, which more or less restricts underground dungeons to abandoned mines and catacombs.

-------------------------------------

If you're worried about having opponents to fight, shouldn't you pick Hibernia? That realm seems likely to have a "target-rich environment." During the beta Hibernia averaged about half the population of the other two realms; a 40/40/20 split seemed typical.

Danth
Hi Danth

it's like you make the atomic bomb (server) and you don't want to let other countries (guilds) have nuclear secrets (under the radar information). it's gm's business and no one else's or else everyone gets nuked. letting Iran or North Korea beta test and keep the successful nukes, makes other countries uncomfortable.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:07 AM
Planar Protector

Hi Goobles, glad to see you're still around.

Danth
Old 12-13-2016, 11:50 AM
Banned

i always love these threads
Old 12-13-2016, 12:26 PM
Planar Protector

Without any nostalgia attached to DAoC I have literally zero interest in it - I felt the exact same way about FFXI. It just seems like a bland, more generic version of its progenitors. The Uthgard Relaunch trailer also does the game quite a disservice - shit reads like it was put together by a sixth grader. Even if I did have some nostalgia invested in the game, I don't want to play on a server whose staff can only marginally read and write in their native language. It's the old "ideas are connected" adage - if you have an urn full of junk, you might be able to fish the Hope Diamond out of it if you dig around long enough. Minds aren't like that. I'm not going to trust people who suck at language to be able to competently run a server, or to be able to do much of anything that compels me to invest time into their thing.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:27 PM
Banned

DAoC shit tier MMO
Can't imagine how worse an EMU of it will be
Old 12-13-2016, 01:46 PM
Sarnak

It looks a lot like Shadowbane.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgiamatti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Without any nostalgia attached to DAoC I have literally zero interest in it - I felt the exact same way about FFXI. It just seems like a bland, more generic version of its progenitors. The Uthgard Relaunch trailer also does the game quite a disservice - shit reads like it was put together by a sixth grader. Even if I did have some nostalgia invested in the game, I don't want to play on a server whose staff can only marginally read and write in their native language. It's the old "ideas are connected" adage - if you have an urn full of junk, you might be able to fish the Hope Diamond out of it if you dig around long enough. Minds aren't like that. I'm not going to trust people who suck at language to be able to competently run a server, or to be able to do much of anything that compels me to invest time into their thing.
Lol come down in Minny
Wait, who do you know?

it's like you make the atomic bomb (server) and you don't want to let other countries (guilds) have nuclear secrets (under the radar information). it's gm's business and no one else's or else everyone gets nuked. letting Iran or North Korea beta test and keep the successful nukes, makes other countries uncomfortable.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doors [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There's world raid bosses and a deeply autistic crafting system for you to immerse yourself in.
Laughed... I think. I kinda like trade skills. How much autism do I need to craft, say, decent leather armor?
Old 12-13-2016, 08:57 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Flair [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, that's my point. There just isn't enough of that type of mandatory competitive play. Competing for frontiers was great. Darkness Falls was great. Now neither of those things are really necessary.

The only real competition one must endure is fighting for frontier keeps to increase your realm ranks ... to give you an advantage while fighting over frontier keeps ... to increase your realm ranks. A far cry from competing over the entire world including dungeons and raid mobs to level and gear up.

I think Uthgard would be wise to actually time lock content to encourage people to fight over xp spots in frontiers and DF before giving them easy content for making cash and building templates.
This is so false. Competitive daoc-rvr is the most competitive thing going in MMOs.

The way DAoC works, or the way players view it, is a timesink to get through as quickly as possibly and to start fighting other players. That's why no cares about fighting over raids and mobs. Also, the best gear is obtained from crafting. Not pvp.
Closed Thread