Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 09:55 AM
Planar Protector

If you think playing a Paladin is bad now wait till Velious comes out and mobs hit about 3 times harder and try and kill them on a Pally. Good luck with that. But they do make pretty good pullers in Velious. P.S. I do like the class though
Old 09-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larethan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Really good advice
This was incredibly helpful. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-25-2012, 11:31 AM
Fire Giant

lerethan I will take what you say since yes I dont play pally but your theorycraft makes no sense for a few reasons
1 higher base wis only slightly barely even noticeably increases a hybrids mana pool. (sk player reporting here)
2 you have no innate mana regen and your med skill is capped at a low level so higher mana pool just means sitting even longer waiting for FM
3 As with a SK I assume a paladin doenst use there entire mana bar each kill and if they do then thats probly cause there wearing a fuckload of wis gear instead of walking around with 200+ str/sta and needing to heal themselves more than if they killed faster
Last edited by godbox; 09-25-2012 at 12:37 PM..
Old 09-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Planar Protector

Stack things that increase your killing efficiency - AC/STR work well. Wisdom is weak in comparison as Godbox covered.

The biggest things I can recommend aside from gear suggestions are

1) The spell Courage. Use this as your main downtime heal until 30. Time it with your sit regen ticks to minimize downtime. The HP per mana on it is much better than minor healing and light healing. Light healing isn't terrible to use between melee swings (another reason 2handers rule). After a melee round, hit F1 and alt+# then F8 really quickly.

2) You have a huge exp penalty. Avoid low ZEM zones if possible. From 15 or so until 41, you should probably stay to Unrest. There's groups, high levels for buffs frequently, a nearby city with a paladin's guild, a huge ZEM, decent loot (small bronze), an easy escape route, undead galore, etc.

If you absolutely must solo in an outdoor zone - try to find room (i.e. no adds) to joust a mob with a 2hander (Baton of Faith). It's a lot more efficient than straight up tanking.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:05 PM
Planar Protector

In general, for defensive gear AC is king, queen, rook, bishop, & knight. HP don't hurt, obviously, but AC is worth more on tank classes. AC is what you're good at, it's what you need, even solo.

For offensive gear, save up the 150-300pp it takes to get a Baton of Faith by L20 at the latest (it is so incredibly cheap on this server.) It'll cost you 10kpp or more for a 1h+shield combo that'll out-perform the Baton solo. It's just too good.

Under L9 you're a wimpy Warrior with a single nice insta-heal on a 72 minute cooldown.

Under L12 (when you get Meditate skill) your spells are pretty limited in use. A weak ac/hp buff that's worth casting anyway, and a puny little heal that has only its very short cast-time to give it some value. Minor Healing can be cast between swings of your weapon if you're paying attention to give you a few more HP without losing any of your puny damage output.

At L12 you get Meditate. Worth noting is that if you watch your HP (numbers not bar) while resting you'll quickly be able to learn to time your healing casts between meditate ticks.

At L15 you get Light Healing, 3x as big as Minor Healing and yet still quick enough to cast between slow weapon swings and Meditate ticks.

In your teens, Flash of Light can serve as a handy means of escape, blind the mob, back off until it runs, run in a different direction (to a ZL, obv.) I don't encourage this if soloing in a dungeon as other players don't usually love you much at all for making huge trains (and some of them will be very good at "innocently" getting you back, repeatedly, until you go away.)

Also in your teens, Oasis crocs & caimans are good because they are not social. If a fight's getting dicey hit 'em with Flash of Light and back off so that they run, but instead of running to the zone use the time until they return to get some healing done without being interrupted. This also can start some entertaining conversations in OOC.

Undead are not especially great targets solo for a Paladin, with the exception of Unrest in your 20s. Invis vs. Undead at L22 lets you move freely through most of the house and agro ranges of those mobs are fairly small compared to the spacing of many of them. Sadly, Unrest is often overrun by the damned PLers that plague this server. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Also at L22 you get Root, which is an invaluable aid to solo, as trains = death. You can sometimes manage an add or two with root, depending on your mana situation.

In your 30s, the giant fort in Frontier Mountans can be done even in ghetto gear.

In upper 30s Firiona Vie has some spots you can make work.

Get a DW Helm by the time you hit L45. Just do it.

Unless outrageously over-geared, the key to successful xp gain while solo as a Paladin is that you must be able to get mobs single and you must be able to meditate safely after you've been properly thrashed for the insolence of soloing a melee class in EQ.

Any race works for a Paladin. Them dirty dorfs have an edge, but it's only an edge and far from decisive IMO, besides they're not only dirty but also ugly as sin. The Erudites get access to Shield of Stalwart Seas, but shield isn't a big deal for solo play unless you can afford a Rod of Faith for your mainhand, and if you can gear yourself that well the differences between the races will matter less. Choose Erudite only if you're willing to sacrifice dearly for the cool factor, apparently it's cool to be a weakling. Personally, I prefer Human and Half-Elf because that way you can do good and look good doing it. Get your STR to 90 (minimum) as you need to be able to wear plate and still carry home some loot. Get a Hero Bracers as soon as you can afford it (cheap +10 STR with plate AC is good.) Going overweight is a foolish and unnecessary handicap, it slows you and trashes your AGI which will in turn trash your tanking avoidance (if it drops below 75) which are not good for your survival odds.

Seriously though, Paladin can solo, and due to the huge preponderance of players here who love to fap to the movement of their xp bar you will be stuck solo at times, but tanks are meant to front a group. You're like a singer who can't play an instrument, it's hard not to get bored when there's no band to back you.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:02 PM
Planar Protector

A Paladin can't solo on here. They are total crap. Do a /who all Paladin and you will poop your pants. And half of them are in the EC tunnel selling. Give it up Dawg. Save you lots of time and anguish.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrunner5 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A Paladin can't solo on here. They are total crap. Do a /who all Paladin and you will poop your pants.
wow this guy wasn't kidding, i did a /who all paladin and i did, in fact, poop my pants [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread