Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 01:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Frankly, since it's all about the pixels, Half-Elf Paladin/Warrior/Bard are the best available race/class combos. With classic graphics no other race looks half as sharp as a Half-Elf in plate, male or female. The only real competition is Ogre or Troll anything, that ass-scratching idle animation makes up for an awful lot of ugly. Dorfs and lizards have all the fugly of an Ogre/Troll with none of the ass-scratching awesomeness.
Until you get to Velious armor, when all the other paladin races beat out the HEF dildo helmet (dem human dragon, dwarven bucket, and high elf white tiger helmets).
Old 11-04-2014, 01:09 PM
Planar Protector

Brut, I think once the pull is over and mobs are in camp, a paladin has way more tools (stun/root/heal) than a shadowknight (fear/snare/lifetap) or god forbid a warrior/monk (clickies only, basically) to keep the group alive. Now whether those abilities outweigh FD? In my opinion they do not.

P.S. Half Elves look retarded.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Brut, I think once the pull is over and mobs are in camp, a paladin has way more tools (stun/root/heal) than a shadowknight (fear/snare/lifetap) or god forbid a warrior/monk (clickies only, basically) to keep the group alive. Now whether those abilities outweigh FD? In my opinion they do not.

P.S. Half Elves look retarded.
Yyyyyyyyyes but why are we comparing two completely different fields of abilities and then claiming one completely trumps the other? 100% apples and oranges.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:29 PM
Planar Protector

fuck your apple, give me the vitamin c in the orange every day. Fewer pesticides too IIRC.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:51 PM
Banned

Shadow knights get rest the dead. Not as effective but you can single mobs out of emp room. And if its fails you can fd, where if a pally fails your sup heal and roots wont save your group. The other classes in the group will.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:59 PM
Planar Protector

90% res makes Paladins the perfect duo partner for those Seb crypt campers as you can corpse all the hiero cloaks you get and just live down there forever!
Old 11-04-2014, 02:45 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brut [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yyyyyyyyyes but why are we comparing two completely different fields of abilities and then claiming one completely trumps the other? 100% apples and oranges.
"Completely trumps" probably isn't the best way to describe it - and it definitely is like comparing apples and oranges. FD is an incredibly powerful ability, but as Raev said the Paladin tools are more useful to the group once in camp than FD. I personally would rather have these abilities than the ability to FD, which is why I chose a Paladin over an SK for a knight. Also, for RP reasons, a brave Paladin does not resort to such cowardly tactics.

My point is the Paladin/SK discussion in itself is pretty much comparing apples and oranges. The tanking and snap agro ability are pretty much the only similarities in how the classes are played. FD is frequently cited as the main reason why people choose SK for a Knight, which is why I use it as an example.

To bring up the "who would use FD while being MT" discussion, I can't really see a situation where the Knight wouldn't be the MT in a dungeon. If a Knight and Warrior are in the same group, the Warrior should gear for DPS and let the Knight hold the agro and pull. For the Warrior to tank and the Knight to go for "DPS" doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense. If there are multiple Knights in the group, well, take turns snapping agro I guess lol (this group configuration happens VERY rarely)

On Paladin I end up pulling and tanking. Root pulls are incredibly effective, and Root (Fetter) is really the preferred method of CC for an excellent Enchanter. In HS for example the majority of mobs are melee, and its easy to keep them stuck with an OP low mana fast cast root that you can easily stack. Paladin is also decent at lulling with levels and CHA gear/buffs, tho a root pull vs. a calm pull is entirely situational.

If you have an Enchanter (which I rarely stick around for if I have enough people to make a group work) he will be calming the really tough rooms. Why is a Paladin still awesome in this situation? On a crit resist the Paladin can toss a heal and grab heal agro. He can tank enough to live and give the Enc enough time to get off an AOE mez or whatever he has to do to keep the XP bar moving. This is something an SK can't do, however this is also another example of apples and oranges.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:16 PM
Planar Protector

Both classes are bad, really.

Get a monk instead, no reason not to in 90% of situations. Yes, knights have cool tricks for certain narrow circumstances and emergencies, but look at an entire 9 hour grind session or whatever you are doing... you're going to miss the monk's dps, and having more dps will probably save the day just as many times as having clutch abilities. Most knight utility gets eclipsed by shamans and enchanters, and those classes are ubiquitous. DPS stacks endlessly; you can never have enough.

This has more to do with monks being overpowered pieces of shit than anything, though. That's my perspective, it made me really unhappy playing my SK at high levels. Monks have great agro, great mitigation, great DPS, great utility. Grrreat! Fuck em.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Both classes are bad, really.

Get a monk instead, no reason not to in 90% of situations. Yes, knights have cool tricks for certain narrow circumstances and emergencies, but look at an entire 9 hour grind session or whatever you are doing... you're going to miss the monk's dps, and having more dps will probably save the day just as many times as having clutch abilities. Most knight utility gets eclipsed by shamans and enchanters, and those classes are ubiquitous. DPS stacks endlessly; you can never have enough.

This has more to do with monks being overpowered pieces of shit than anything, though. That's my perspective, it made me really unhappy playing my SK at high levels. Monks have great agro, great mitigation, great DPS, great utility. Grrreat! Fuck em.
Neither knight is bad, both knight classes are good. I will agree with "monks being overpowered", but the only pieces of shit I see are the trolls from red they allow to run free shitting up threads here with unchecked abandon.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:45 PM
Aviak

Personally, I prefer to play the paladin. That's mainly for looks & RP, though. I have tried and tried to get an Iksar going, but the whole "we're all eeeeevil" thing just doesn't work for me.

On my druid, I find both paladin and SK pretty even in terms of tanking & holding aggro, assuming similarly-geared, similarly-skilled players. It's another case of "play what you want, it's all good", IMO.
Closed Thread