Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 02:49 PM
Planar Protector

Don't put starting points into stats that are easily maxed out with gear or buffs. Focus + STR buff + DEX buff = maxed out STR and DEX. Boon + any DEX buff = maxed out DEX. STA buff and you're still under 200? Yeah, put points into STA.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:13 PM
Planar Protector

It's everquest, stats don't matter. Not like SKs tank anything.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's everquest, stats don't matter.
We both know that's not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not like SKs tank anything.
Except trash, particularly adds that are unexpected.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:30 PM
Planar Protector

No, I honestly feel that way. Realistically, there's no 20 point stat distribution that will have a noticeable in game effect.
An endgame 20 CHA SK will be just as useful as any other.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:34 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I believe someone made a patch that fixes the awkward iksar 2hs animation bug.
I couldn't ever get it to work [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fauvana 54 Erudite Necromancer
Seliel 24 Erudite Rogue
Deepwalter 6 Erudite Paladin

Fauvano 40 Dark Elf Necromancer
Stoppinswords 11 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 08-03-2017, 09:56 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
No, I honestly feel that way. Realistically, there's no 20 point stat distribution that will have a noticeable in game effect.
An endgame 20 CHA SK will be just as useful as any other.
Well then you're just giving straight-up terrible advice here. At 60, 20 STA should be worth 104 HP on an SK. That's more than a Djarns. Everybody who wears a Djarns should just delete them and only play with one ring because Cecily says they're worthless. Unless of course you're wearing a HP ring in the other slot, too, and then you have to delete that one as well and wear no rings. Because 104 HP is worthless.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:34 AM
Fire Giant

For what it's worth, I made an erudite paladin and "screwed up" my initial stat distribution (mostly strength) and it has never really mattered. There's no question I probably died a handful of times when I would have otherwise survived during my years of play, but I can't actually think of a specific one. Basically, I largely agree with Cecily that you'll be fine no matter what you do.

Also, it always annoys me when min/maxers ignore that other stats can also save your life. Extra strength is extra dps that will occasionally finish off a mob a few seconds earlier and prevent your death. Extra dex is extra procs again for increased dps and for SKs, extras lifetaps that may be worth more than 104 hps over a fight. Extra int is extra mana that may allow you a life-saving fear to get a mob off your back so you can zone or FD or whatever.

If you're tanking and spanking, more hp is gonna be the most useful usually, but there are other "life-saving" stats that also matter and it's silly to just ignore that. Unless you plan on doing the batphone thing and raiding end game, you won't max the other stats either so the argument that they will hit the str/dex/int cap regardless isn't really true for most players.

Edit: Just one last point. Even though sta buffs are lacking relative to other stats, sta is really just a proxy for hps and hps buffs are not in short supply. Using my very non-min/maxed paladin as an example, when fully buffed I have something on the order for 5300 hps. With 20 more sta, this would be around 5400 hps which is an increase of about 2%. I guess it's up to you whether or not that's important enough to forego other useful stats while leveling up.

Also good god, sorry for the wall of text...
Last edited by Vallanor; 08-03-2017 at 10:58 AM..
Old 08-03-2017, 10:48 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well then you're just giving straight-up terrible advice here. At 60, 20 STA should be worth 104 HP on an SK. That's more than a Djarns. Everybody who wears a Djarns should just delete them and only play with one ring because Cecily says they're worthless. Unless of course you're wearing a HP ring in the other slot, too, and then you have to delete that one as well and wear no rings. Because 104 HP is worthless.
And therefore anyone who could play an ogre but doesn't play an ogre has immediately lost EQ and cannot possibly be successful? I mean -- you've never seen a human, barbarian, hobbit, or dwarf warrior survive tanking rough encounters right?

There are smarter choices and dumber choices with where to put your starting stats, but Cecily is right. 20 starting stats means surprisingly little - especially at the end game.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 08-03-2017, 12:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are smarter choices and dumber choices with where to put your starting stats, but Cecily is right.
This statement is contradicts itself. Are there smart choices or not? And if there are smart choices, that would mean Cecily is championing the dumb choices, no? How often is a dumb choice the correct choice?
Old 08-03-2017, 12:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallanor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For what it's worth, I made an erudite paladin and "screwed up" my initial stat distribution (mostly strength) and it has never really mattered. There's no question I probably died a handful of times when I would have otherwise survived during my years of play, but I can't actually think of a specific one. Basically, I largely agree with Cecily that you'll be fine no matter what you do.

Also, it always annoys me when min/maxers ignore that other stats can also save your life. Extra strength is extra dps that will occasionally finish off a mob a few seconds earlier and prevent your death. Extra dex is extra procs again for increased dps and for SKs, extras lifetaps that may be worth more than 104 hps over a fight. Extra int is extra mana that may allow you a life-saving fear to get a mob off your back so you can zone or FD or whatever.

If you're tanking and spanking, more hp is gonna be the most useful usually, but there are other "life-saving" stats that also matter and it's silly to just ignore that. Unless you plan on doing the batphone thing and raiding end game, you won't max the other stats either so the argument that they will hit the str/dex/int cap regardless isn't really true for most players.

Edit: Just one last point. Even though sta buffs are lacking relative to other stats, sta is really just a proxy for hps and hps buffs are not in short supply. Using my very non-min/maxed paladin as an example, when fully buffed I have something on the order for 5300 hps. With 20 more sta, this would be around 5400 hps which is an increase of about 2%. I guess it's up to you whether or not that's important enough to forego other useful stats while leveling up.

Also good god, sorry for the wall of text...
Your argument is completely invalidated by your Paladin wearing a Djarns in your Magelo. Obviously you value HP over everything else, even AC.
Closed Thread