Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Planar Protector

never gotten this, never signed up to WoW either ...
Old 06-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Fire Giant

Shitloads of them. Thankfully for google spam filter, I don't have to see any.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Sarnak

I actually got a real email from Blizzard about my account being compromised, and it was. It took me a couple of weeks to get everything straightened out, too. They cleaned me out pretty good (pretty much ALL of my gold, most of my gear that was worth DE'ing, all tradeskill stuff, etc), but Blizzard replaced everything they took, as far as I can tell. I haven't played since some time last year, so I can't know for sure, but it looks about right to me.

What really had me stumped is HOW my account was hacked. I use strong passwords that are completely random series of characters and digits, so there is no way to figure them out by researching me. At first, I thought maybe it was that they had figured out my secret question, but all that would have done was to reset my password, and send that message to my email. Then I realized I had made a critical error: I used the same passwords for online forums and stuff like that, also using the same email address to register. Stupid, rookie mistake. I've since changed all of my passwords for everything else.

So, just a warning: don't use the same passwords for online forums as you do for important stuff. It seems that not all of those things use encrypted passwords. IN some of them, the form owner can access your information, including your password. It's probably a good idea to use an email account you have JUST for that purpose, as well.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:56 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yea, the forums aren't compromised.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 06-02-2010, 05:22 PM
Large Rat

I have a WoW account, but I got one of those on a DIFFERENT email account (LOL), before I started coming here.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:14 PM
Fire Giant

Yeah I have like 6 wow accounts and I get probably 10 different spam emails a day. They are getting all clever now too like YOU HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED CATACLYSM BETA AMERICAN PIGDOG. I also get some on email accounts that have never been associated with WoW in any way lol.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Aviak

Has Nigerian royalty shown interest in WOW accounts recently?
Old 06-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Kobold

Send a message via AIM to BuzWeaver Send a message via Yahoo to BuzWeaver

I've been getting them for well over a year now, joining BattleNet with my main email address was a HUGE mistake. I've even contacted Blizzard in reference to the issue. They made a few suggestions that have helped, but once they have your email address they're relentless.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Kobold

Wow. Just a heads up that I got another one today and they're getting smarter.

It looked very legit and had a link which displayed as www.worldofwarcraft.com/account but was actually a link to some other bs site.

Quote:
Hello,

This is an automated notification regarding your World of Warcraft account. Your account Contact & Shipping Addresses was recently modified through the Account Management website.

If you made this change to your account, please disregard this automatic notification.

*** If you did NOT make any changes to your account, we recommend you login to Account Management at the following link to review your account settings:
bs url

If you cannot sign into Account Management using the link above, or if unauthorized changes continue to happen, please contact Blizzard Billing & Account Services for advanced assistance.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter, and your continued interest in Blizzard Games.

Regards,

Account Support Team
Blizzard Entertainment
Old 06-03-2010, 05:58 PM
Sarnak

Yep, get em all the time. If your worried about them, just go to worldofwarcraft website manually, and check your account status, if it should be frozen, then it probably isnt hacked. Also go and check the subscription history, if there was ever a time where it was activated outside of what u know, then it may have been hacked. But i never click on links that i get in emails unless i know exactly who and where its coming from.
If anyone has any room to grief, its Rogean. Nuff said.

P1999 Custom Desktop Launcher Icons
Closed Thread