Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 01:35 AM
Planar Protector

At the same time 25 stamina doesn't make/break a warrior's ability to tank (and do so trivially) any raid mob in the game.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 04-11-2017, 01:41 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
At the same time 25 stamina doesn't make/break a warrior's ability to tank (and do so trivially) any raid mob in the game.
It absolutely matters for the two hardest mobs to tank - AoW and Tunare. Without 255 sta you cannot survive a round of max hits, and are far more likely to die. A tank with 1750 AC still gets max hit so only HP really matters for these events as a tank.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:14 AM
Sarnak

I usually stick to the wiki because it's accurate on how much stat gear is accessible to you. It even includes multiple gear lists on different tiers you should be reaching. If you cant easily get the gear it recommends it gives you an approximation on what gear you should pay for and what you should pass on except free gear that adds some form of stat/ac better than your own.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It absolutely matters for the two hardest mobs to tank - AoW and Tunare. Without 255 sta you cannot survive a round of max hits, and are far more likely to die. A tank with 1750 AC still gets max hit so only HP really matters for these events as a tank.
Cleric aegolism - 1100hp
focus- 405hp
Max hp buffs with capped stamina: 1505hp.

AoW quads and flurries for 1154 and flurries - unslowable. Damage potential on a bad round? Just under 7k.

Tunare quads and flurries for 960 but is slowable. Damage potential on a bad round? 5760 max + 800hp proc (resistable).

Using Dtoxx as an example (half elf):

http://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]etoxx

If he (as a half elf) dumped 25 stamina into starting stats he'd have an unbuffed stamina of 105 at character creation. As he is geared, his unbuffed hp with 246 unbuffed stamina is 4314hp. With max raid buffs he would cap out at less than 6000hp.

Using YOU as an example: http://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue:Naethyn

Ignoring the fact that you shamelessly fluff your magelo stats/hp with two weapons that you hopefully don't use while tanking and won't hold aggro with (proc-less Blade of carnage and swiftblade of zek) once you exhaust the aggro-lead you might have from mallet-ing - 4300hp with 36 stamina room for improvement. You still cap out your hp about 1000hp less than a worst case scenario AoW quad. A Casually raid geared warrior with ~3k unbuffed hp (buffed to 4.5 to greater than 5k hp) will tank circles around you while under defensive (assuming you are not). You're a human - starting stamina 85. By your own logic you shouldn't be able to tank things compared to an ogre with starting stamina ~50 points higher than your own.

That's 1 roundable by tunare with an unresisted proc.
That's 1 roundable by AoW by over 1000hp.

Point is, if you don't plan on a complete heal hitting after literally every single round, no warrior in p99 will survive these mobs 100% of the time outside of defensive. All warriors on this server are easily stomped by the biggest/baddest mobs once defensive falls. After that, it's a combination of ac, luck, DI, runes, and the tightness of the complete heal chain. With defensive UP - a casually raid geared tank will survive these mobs immeasurably better than the most well equipped raid geared warriors out of discipline.

So, tell me again how you "can't survive one round" with less than 255 stamina? With 255 stamina you still can't survive one max round from the Avatar of War. A new dwarf warrior with all stats placed into dexterity will have a whopping 5 less stamina and 40 more dexterity than Aftermath's guild leader. Bear in mind that most if not all of these targets were killed very shortly after velious launch --- in kunark gear.

TLDR version: any warrior of any race with ANY randomly chosen stat distribution (even a woodelf warrior with +25 intelligence on character creation) can tank these mobs interchangably with adequate gear. 25 stamina makes or breaks nothing.

Last edited by Troxx; 04-11-2017 at 01:34 PM..
Old 04-11-2017, 01:33 PM
Fire Giant

You're forgetting this. https://wiki.project1999.com/Disciplines

But don't take advice from me, someone who has been actually tanking Velious for over a year.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:41 PM
Planar Protector

Don't bother listening to me, a guy who raid tanked Velious content live and beyond for longer than the p99 sever has existed.

Point is, starting stats mean nothing at the high end raid game. Ogre/iksar with all to stamina is the min/max choice when you only have bleeding edge raiding in mind. For levels 1-59 and prior to raid gear a warrior with a dexterity and AC focus (not to idiotic degrees) will function a lot better for groups. Said warrior WILL have fewer hp and it still won't matter at those ranges. Group content is tankable by rangers. A tank is only as good as his ability to hold aggro - and that is the Achilles heel of the grouping or casually raiding warrior on p99.

I have no plans of playing the sock-shitting raid game here. This warrior might or might not even hit 60.

Last edited by Troxx; 04-11-2017 at 01:45 PM..
Old 04-11-2017, 01:43 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ogre/iksar with all to stamina is the min/max choice when you only have bleeding edge raiding in mind.
You haven't been listening at all.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:39 PM
Planar Protector

I've been listening ... your input just isn't entirely accurate.

My initial question was very narrow in scope: how high could you push a warrior's dexterity without factoring in ridiculously expensive rare items. I'm not really interested in whether you think my new warrior having dexterity as a starting stat is a good idea or not.

Last edited by Troxx; 04-11-2017 at 03:44 PM..
Old 04-11-2017, 05:15 PM
Planar Protector

Cougar claw earrings instead of orc fangs is a cheap dex option.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Bracer_of_Scavenging is a cheap, rounded wrist.

You probably don't want to sacrifice velium hp rings (but you could, I did on my dex alt).

Darkmail gauntlets.

Rotquest a spectral bow in trakanon's teeth.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:49 AM
Banned

I thought agro on raid targets is pretty meaningless because the meta is to dump midnight mallet charges and other clickies into target so you gain perma hate...could probably turn attack off and still hold agro?
Closed Thread