Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 04-25-2017, 08:40 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by planarity [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The easiest solution is for people to act like reasonable adults and roll for it like the ring. If you want to do the quest for a toon, get them the faction, have them win the roll, and have them loot the mob when it's dead. Devs shouldn't have to do anything about this (even though they have randomized spawn times and locations for other things); we can keep it classic if people can just learn to be reasonable.

The obvious comparison of ragefire comes to mind. We know for a fact that Catherine and others used autofire. Even if you aren't willing to go to the lengths of setting it up in software, you can bind mouse click to your mouse wheel and spin the crap out of it--I know people who have done this and don't consider it cheating. I do, and it's not fair to people who live in other parts of the world, don't use a mouse, or simply know better. And even if there was no autofire, you would still have people trying to block each other out, summoning pets in the hope that others will give the quest item to them, etc.

Maybe for ragefire it wasn't totally clear how to have a fair roll system (if someone has been camping it for longer, do they deserve an advantage? What about clerics seeking epic? etc.), but scout doesn't have any of these issues at all. I'm convinced that a typical kindergarten classroom could tell you what a fair and reasonable system would be.

As for selling loot rights, it's completely fucked for someone to snipe a turnin (probably using some sort of autofire, or it may not be worth their time) right in front of you--when if not for them you could have done it yourself--and have the audacity to try to sell it to you. Go farm monk epics or sell loot rights to neriad shawls or something instead. At least then there's some value added and some actual work being done.
The only reason ring 8 roll exists is because if it was a click fest, it would eat all but the 1st person's hand in causing them to basically lose their ring 7 and start over. There has been threads proposing Scout rolls but they always get shut down (when you can sell a win for 30k every 8 hours or whatever her spawn is since you have a great ping rate, its hard to overcome that). The item you lose by doing scout hand in you can get back by just talking to an NPC, so not a big loss by doing double hand ins (I am pretty sure she re-positions slightly after hand in anyways to avoid getting everyone's tools).

Asking for rolls is a bit of a slippery slope too, I mean why not do rolls for Fear Golem pops, Phinny, etc. In the end there has to be some form of reward to camping her spawn, but it should be done on a level playing field. A simple variance in her spawn point + spawn time is all it would take to eliminate cheating / easy mode.

Lodi been getting no love in this thread either, just a small re-positioning of his spawn point like Kozzalym can make him better contested, not just spamming /pet attack Lodizal on his spawn. Possibly even Call of the Zero to eliminate stalling.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:06 PM
Sarnak

Go ahead and roll for the turn in I dare you. Surely that will work.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:54 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by planarity [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The easiest solution is for people to act like reasonable adults ...we can keep it classic if people can just learn to be reasonable.
so basically add variance to timer + spawn location or change something or scout charisa hand in will be a shit show forever

its been proven time and time again since this server's inception that coming across a reasonable adult is very rare on this server when it comes to anything that plat can be farmed from

see : vox/naggy still being batphoned for the minute it pops by the top raiding guilds nearly 8 years into the server
Last edited by Bones; 04-26-2017 at 12:58 AM..
Old 07-12-2017, 01:35 AM
Kobold

Quote:
The easiest solution is for people to act like reasonable adults and roll for it like the ring. If you want to do the quest for a toon, get them the faction, have them win the roll, and have them loot the mob when it's dead. Devs shouldn't have to do anything about this (even though they have randomized spawn times and locations for other things); we can keep it classic if people can just learn to be reasonable.

The obvious comparison of ragefire comes to mind. We know for a fact that Catherine and others used autofire. Even if you aren't willing to go to the lengths of setting it up in software, you can bind mouse click to your mouse wheel and spin the crap out of it--I know people who have done this and don't consider it cheating. I do, and it's not fair to people who live in other parts of the world, don't use a mouse, or simply know better. And even if there was no autofire, you would still have people trying to block each other out, summoning pets in the hope that others will give the quest item to them, etc.

Maybe for ragefire it wasn't totally clear how to have a fair roll system (if someone has been camping it for longer, do they deserve an advantage? What about clerics seeking epic? etc.), but scout doesn't have any of these issues at all. I'm convinced that a typical kindergarten classroom could tell you what a fair and reasonable system would be.

As for selling loot rights, it's completely fucked for someone to snipe a turnin (probably using some sort of autofire, or it may not be worth their time) right in front of you--when if not for them you could have done it yourself--and have the audacity to try to sell it to you. Go farm monk epics or sell loot rights to neriad shawls or something instead. At least then there's some value added and some actual work being done.
You could have 40 people agree to that, then have one person with auto fire program log in last second and turn in. You're way to optimistic about this server. Regardless of player agreements, GMs rule in favor of turn in. End of conversation.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:33 AM
Sarnak

Quick update for all you nay-sayers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blammo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Go ahead and roll for the turn in I dare you. Surely that will work.
We have been, regularly. It works. There is one guild of holdout spoilsports who force clickfest garbage, but literally every member of every other guild says "yes, of course, thank god" (paraphrasing) to doing a roll. Usually everyone who rolled helps kill the captain for the winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mytral [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You could have 40 people agree to that, then have one person with auto fire program log in last second and turn in. You're way to optimistic about this server. Regardless of player agreements, GMs rule in favor of turn in. End of conversation.
If a spoilsport shows up at the last second, or even early, then yeah there is juvenile clickfest garbage, but we still roll and if someone who rolled wins turn-in, then the roll is respected. I've done this myself a couple times now. (By the way, this is all completely intuitive to all the adults who show up and happens basically automatically).
Old 07-16-2017, 08:38 AM
Kobold

Quote:
If a spoilsport shows up at the last second, or even early, then yeah there is juvenile clickfest garbage, but we still roll and if someone who rolled wins turn-in, then the roll is respected. I've done this myself a couple times now. (By the way, this is all completely intuitive to all the adults who show up and happens basically automatically).
So you roll AND do clickfest? Regardless of what is considered "adult" or "completely intuitive", the devs enforce "classic" and this server is full of children.

Below is another example of why we need to change this mechanic, regardless of being classic or not. We all know classic isn't possible unless you are using 1999 technology.

[Fri Jul 14 14:43:04 2017] Scout Charisa says 'Great,Diamondarrow! I was wondering when they would send someone out to give me these. In my haste and excitement of this new assignment I forgot these. This scout business is great I must say. It sure beats setting in Southern Ro studying the ruins. I've been following these Storm Giants for days. They've been wandering up and down the coast looking for something.'

[Fri Jul 14 14:43:04 2017] Scout Charisa says 'Great,Saaden! I was wondering when they would send someone out to give me these. In my haste and excitement of this new assignment I forgot these. This scout business is great I must say. It sure beats setting in Southern Ro studying the ruins. I've been following these Storm Giants for days. They've been wandering up and down the coast looking for something.'