Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 06-23-2017, 08:54 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanable [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is 3440x1440, which isn't 4k. Going to assume it's a 34" panel, which doesn't have too dense of a pixel/inch ratio (so UI elements at normal desk-sitting position are probably OK for most people).

People are using the term "4k" when the 4k resolution is really only a part of the problem. I think the issue is going to boil down to pixels/inch of the display and the viewing distance from the display.

The more common situations is as follows (at least as far as I can tell):

1) People using a high resolution with small physical screen size that sit within a meter of the screen (typical desk setup). An example would be a 28" monitor with a native 3840×2160 resolution ("4k"). EQ can absolutely run at that resolution, but the UI elements are very small as the pixels/inch is vastly more dense than a typical 1080p monitor of approximately the same size. Another example would be a baller af gaming laptop with a 15" 4k screen.. having an even more dense pixel/inch ratio (though I suspect the viewing distance would be shorter here, but same concept).

2) People using a 4k TV or other large display (50" or whatever size) at a viewing distance of a few meters. The issue here is more about the UI being small due to distance, rather than physical screen size. People sitting about a meter (typical desk settings) from a 43" with this resolution probably don't have too much of a problem with the UI elements.

There isn't really a 1-size fits all solution to this, as some pixel/inch ratio and viewing distance combinations may need a 2x UI scale, others may need a 1.5x, etc. I think for 90% of the people out there, using a 2x UI scale is going to be perfectly fine. As someone else pointed out, simply scaling the UI isn't going to solve all the issues. You'll need a larger font. I think the best route to go here is to find an open source clone of Arial and use FontForge to scale it 200% and then manually adjust the kerning, right & left side bearings, ascent, and descent of the font so that it doesn't look like balls (I've started researching this but it is so fucking boring oh my god). The next step, IMO, would be to start scaling the UI elements by 200% - don't have to worry about scaling the actual artwork used in the UI just yet, as the client is smart enough to autoscale them for now (they'll be blurry, but meh). Once that is fully working a revamp of the images used in the UI can be done (and you'll need to update the animations file to make use of the new dimensions).

It's a lot of work, and it's something I've been toying with here and there.. just throwing some more ideas at this discussion.

Yeah in my case I have two 27" monitors that run at 3840 x 2160 so the font is too small. I am also going to work on this when I finally have some free time. I hope I can fix it for those of us who play on monitors at least.

Gunnter
- 60 Assassin
Syzzurp Purpledrank - 60 Grandmaster
Scientology Tomcruise -60 Phantasmist
< The Mystical Order >
Old 06-28-2017, 01:58 PM
Orc

Having a Surface Pro 4 I am hoping something comes. The text is hard to read on the hi res screen. I mainly play on an external monitor but be nice to play on the SP4 from time to time.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:22 PM
Sarnak

Any fixes out for this issue? I picked up a surfacebook and the ui elements are incredibly small. Havn't yet figured out how to scale up the ui elements big enough that they are readable without putting your face inches away from the screen. Halp !
Old 12-26-2017, 08:40 PM
Sarnak

even with /chatfontsize at 5? also, you can change your font to one that is larger, gotta experiment.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:01 PM
Sarnak

so i've taken up the 4k challenge and have been editing my xml files to upscale the UI. The one thing I'm having the most trouble is with spell gems no matter which window they might appear in. does anyone have a solution for up scaling spell gems?
Old 01-02-2018, 05:12 PM
Orc

I play at 4k and have a similar problem with the text inside the UI. I have found that you can modify individual .xml files to increase the font size within the related UI window. I use Notepad++ to edit .xml files. Go into the UI directory for the skin (I use duxaUI) and start clicking around. Backup your original UI Folder and then find the .xml file related to the pet window, playerUI, or whatever, and take a look at the variables inside. You can search for "size" and it will put you in the neighborhood of what you need to start modifying. Make a mental note of the X/Y ratios if you are going to start changing window sizes. Keep track of the default orientation if you are changing multiple lines of next within a window.

You can use "Load UI" to check your progress without restarting the game. If you mess something up you can either load your backup/original UI file or undo the most recent change(s) in the text file and restart. I have made only a few changes to the pet window and HP/Mana figures in Player UI. All the changes I have made have been a product of trial and error.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:04 PM
Aviak

Sorry for necroing this thread, but I am encountering the issue of 4k resolution but I want full screen windowed and to get this you need to run EQ at the TV native (3840x2160).

I've increased to "/chatfontsize 6" (didn't know 6 was an option, thanks), but it only addresses a portion of the problem. What remains are exceedingly tiny UI elements like spells, health, etc. You get the picture.

Has anyone developed a UI for P1999 for native 4k yet?
Old 02-09-2020, 12:47 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loftus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry for necroing this thread, but I am encountering the issue of 4k resolution but I want full screen windowed and to get this you need to run EQ at the TV native (3840x2160).

I've increased to "/chatfontsize 6" (didn't know 6 was an option, thanks), but it only addresses a portion of the problem. What remains are exceedingly tiny UI elements like spells, health, etc. You get the picture.

Has anyone developed a UI for P1999 for native 4k yet?
Have you tried this? https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...46&postcount=6
Old 02-09-2020, 01:21 PM
Aviak

Thank you for the reply. My scale in Windows 10 is currently set at 250%.

It would appear the key here in WinEQ, a program I do not use.

Can you show me the overall thread? The link is to a specific post and I cannot see the rest of the the thread.

Thank you!

*EDIT* Nevermind - I see the way to get to the thread. Trying to get to Deezy's UI now.
Last edited by Loftus; 02-09-2020 at 01:25 PM..
Old 02-21-2020, 07:51 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loftus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
*EDIT* Nevermind - I see the way to get to the thread. Trying to get to Deezy's UI now.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=350475