Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Aviak

Casting sow and porting are 2 very different things imo. I don't expect people to pay for sow, especially if I'm just sitting in the tunnel.
[11 Bard] Fappn

[Sun Mar 10 21:52:52 2013] Merkk's spell fizzles!
Old 06-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithaplan11 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Casting sow and porting are 2 very different things imo. I don't expect people to pay for sow, especially if I'm just sitting in the tunnel.
Meh. I can argue both ways. If someone says time is money in relation to a port, one could argue the same exact thing for a SoW. Mana = time = money.

I tip less for a SoW to be sure. Less mana = less time = less money =o)

But yeah, I see what you mean.

When I'm farting around on my wife's druid, SoWs are always free, and I rarely will port simply because I don't want to. I don't care if you're offering 300p for a port to DL and then an evac to EJ. Money's nice, but most of the time while playing her druid... I have another goal.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:29 PM
Planar Protector

People need some situational awareness. If someone yells they are going to a specific location and offers to take people with them, it is probably fine to ride for free but you should probably still tip because they are saving you a lot of time.

If you ooc you want to buy a port and someone responds you should tip them because they are probably trying to make money. If they are just doing it to be nice they will tell you the tip is not necessary.

If you happen to be in a random zone and want to get elsewhere and see a porter you send a tell to, then definitly tip because that person almost certainly has their own objective being there.

If you happen to be in a random zone and want to get elsewhere and there is no porter around so you send a tell to random person asking them to come meet you somewhere and take you to another location, make it worth their time. Also have the presence of mind to ask people in order of location. Ask the guy in EC, don't ask the person in Fear.

Finally if you need to do a Sky turn in or something like that, consider that the stones for planar cost 100p+ and need to go be bought in locations that aren't accessible to all wiz race combinations. So tip well.

Most of this stuff seems like common sense to me, but maybe people don't always consider the person on the otherside of the keyboard has their own stuff going on in rl and may only have a few hours a week to play.

I give a lot of people ports for free anyways unless I am really trying to generate cash, but still the curtious thing to do is to offer to pay for someone taking their time to save you like an hour of travel.
Some other toons
Formerly of TZ
Old 06-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
situational awareness (...)
I totally agree. And I even take into account the porter's level.

Time is money, but you don't make the same amount of money when you're level 10, 30 and 60.

The higher level the porter is, the more I give. Bottom line, unless people are on a bad corpse run or below level 10, there is no reason to not tip for a port.
Kaska, Phantasmist <Divinity>
Fuam, Druid 57 <Divinity>
Willo, Cleric 54 <Divinity>
Last edited by finalgrunt; 06-11-2012 at 08:59 PM..
Old 06-21-2012, 02:01 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

This may have been brought up elsewhere and I missed it, but has there been any thought to a "do not port" list in this way? I mean people could port who they like, but if they were interested in a communal blacklist it would be something we could use.

I understand it may seem heavy handed, but when I wait for 10 min for someone wearing 50k of gear to offer me 3pp for my time a personal list doesn't seem like enough.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:31 AM
Kobold

I've never played a druid or wizard.. but people really tip 3 plat for a port? When I first started out, and had no money, or not much money, I never even asked for a port (unless it was for a corpse recovery). Until now, I've pretty much played casters who don't have much strength, so I couldn't carry much platinum on me. But I ALWAYS had peridots, sky/hate stones, or some sort of other gems from OOT, Sebilis, ect.. and I kept them on me just for the purpose of paying people for quicky favors like ports, corpse summons, buffs, anything. Now that I'm playing a monk I suppose I will do the same because of the weight limit.

It seems that most porters advertise as "porting for donations", which isn't really a donation after that being asked. And I remember after Kunark's release on this server porters were advertising "ports to DL! 50pp a seat!".. That was understandable I suppose for the time period.. You could either fork over the scratch, or sit on the ferry boat patiently.

Porters just need to advertise as "porting for a small portion of your money" or something like that. Then just blacklist the 45+ players or twinks that try to donate 3pp. I don't mean just remember their name, but make a post for all porters to record this information. That way they will know to collect their "donation" before casting the spell.

There's my 3pp on the situation. Either throw in on gas money, or crawl home.

Edit: Another smart idea. If you see a low level druid or wizard struggling, throw him a bone. Help him for a few minutes, let him have a little plat for his upcoming spells, maybe even just sit and chat. I could almost bet that he or she would be forever greatful and "owe you one" if you ever needed a port for an emergency. Karma.
Last edited by Swinger; 06-21-2012 at 02:38 AM..
Old 06-21-2012, 02:35 AM
Planar Protector

I can't be bothered to remember the lame tippers, they're just not worth the trouble.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I can't be bothered to remember the lame tippers, they're just not worth the trouble.
I can sympathize; I generally prefer to just ignore the douches in game and focus on the positive. I suppose its really too much to make a forum blacklist, I just find those folks sap my will to go out of my way to do CRs/newb ports a lot, and I think that's a shame.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:49 PM
Orc

Don't forget the millionaires who tip 10pp for a rez.... yes i know this is a porter forum, I'm just saying....

Btw Happy Friday!!!

Zaraax Zarathustra 55 Templar of Innoruuk
Zaraax Zarathustra 70 Cleric of Tunare (Retired 2005)
Zathrys Zahaduum 86 Rogue (Retired 2010)
Zarrin 80 Magician (Retired 2010)
Old 06-23-2012, 08:04 AM
Large Bat

My newbie (and only character) was given some very nice equipment by some very nice player I met who said he wasn't going to be playing one of his alt anymore and wanted the eq to go to some use. The downside for this is when I ask for a port (I'm still level 13 and more or less broke, I have about 20pp to my name), I feel like I have to explain why I can't tip much even though I'm obviously wearing some expensive gear.

From the couple of friends I have that are wizards or druids, it doesn't sound like any of them are hurting for money though - one of em can never even walk full speed because he's always being given so much money. lol So I find it hard to feel too terrible for not tipping someone if I can't afford it... but if someone helps me out in the way they can, they should know that I will remember their name and help them out in any way I can, even if that won't be for a while.
Closed Thread