Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 10:45 AM
Sarnak

http://youtu.be/sn9nnOkASDg

All kidding aside, tip.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:48 AM
Banned

I always tip 100-200 plat i did not know people where cheap.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:08 AM
Aviak

This is a double edged sword kind of issue. On the one hand I always pay well for my ports and rezzes, on the other though I hate the bullshit "ports for donation".

If you ask for a donation, it's instantly NOT a donation, because you asked for it. At that point it's some undefined value, and questionably optional.

Imo charge or don't. Don't let it be open ended if you need the cash for your "time".

No one likes a bum, but it's just as much of a douche move to sulk about something you didn't communicate effectively.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:15 AM
Orc

I never ask for money for ports I just take what is given, when I was lower I got many free ports so now I pay it back. Money is nice but I push my button for free too.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:22 AM
Kobold

Ayes! Tip your porters! I always tip if I have money on me, or make it a point to find them afterwards. A really friendly porter i've run into is Kitsy. They are always willing to port me when I need one, and most of the time will come and pick me up where I am!
Old 03-21-2012, 11:24 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrunner5 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When I play my Shaman or Druid I sure as hell don't charge someone for SoW.
Buffs and ports are an entirely different entity. I can't quite explain why, they just are.

What this thread boils down to: Don't be stingy. It's not flattering.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Fire Giant

Buffs don't require zoning.

I also believe most people mention "porting/buffing for donations" because you are (in most cases) more likely to get a larger sum of plat that way.

If I know I typically give 100pp and see someone "porting for donations", I will likely give them 100pp. If I see someone saying "ports, 20pp" it is a lot more likely that they will get 20pp.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristantio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Buffs don't require zoning.

I also believe most people mention "porting/buffing for donations" because you are (in most cases) more likely to get a larger sum of plat that way.

If I know I typically give 100pp and see someone "porting for donations", I will likely give them 100pp. If I see someone saying "ports, 20pp" it is a lot more likely that they will get 20pp.
This. It is dumb to state how much you're asking to port. First, people who will normally pay more will probably just pay what you asked. Second, people who don't have your price won't ask you because they'll assume you won't port without that price met. Get a bad reputation for not porting people on CRs or newbies and you'll have less people coming to you for ports in general.

As for buffs/ports. Buffs do not require you to completely abandon what you're currently doing. Buffing in EC doesn't force me to stop buying/selling. Buffing when I'm camping something or killing mobs makes me stop for a couple mins to get my mana back but it won't force me to give up my camp (usually).

Ports require you to stop whatever you're doing, give up any camp you may have and possibly go pick someone up. Then you have to take them someplace new, and then back to whatever you were doing. Unless someone is just straight up offering rides, you have to abandon whatever else you could be doing to port that person. That is why you donate. Not only are you costing the porter time and money, but forcing them to give up doing anything but porting you.

Don't know if I made that clear, but there is a BIG difference between buffing and porting.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:48 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odeseus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This. It is dumb to state how much you're asking to port. First, people who will normally pay more will probably just pay what you asked. Second, people who don't have your price won't ask you because they'll assume you won't port without that price met. Get a bad reputation for not porting people on CRs or newbies and you'll have less people coming to you for ports in general.

As for buffs/ports. Buffs do not require you to completely abandon what you're currently doing. Buffing in EC doesn't force me to stop buying/selling. Buffing when I'm camping something or killing mobs makes me stop for a couple mins to get my mana back but it won't force me to give up my camp (usually).

Ports require you to stop whatever you're doing, give up any camp you may have and possibly go pick someone up. Then you have to take them someplace new, and then back to whatever you were doing. Unless someone is just straight up offering rides, you have to abandon whatever else you could be doing to port that person. That is why you donate. Not only are you costing the porter time and money, but forcing them to give up doing anything but porting you.

Don't know if I made that clear, but there is a BIG difference between buffing and porting.
Luckily druids and wizards are never in groups after 40 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-21-2012, 11:49 AM
Aviak

Hi i play a monk, and i wanted to touch on this subject.

I am not about to complain about monks weight allowances but i will just briefly go over it again.

As a monk ill avoid carrying any amount of coin UNLESS i am of course in EC doing the trading/selling etc. Any other time ill be coin less due to the fact my AC will get dropped because it will make me go over my current weight allowance for my lvl.

This being said i normally can not tip you the majority of the time ALTHOUGH there is an exception. For example if i am leaving EC and will most likely take a port ill know to grab some coin from the bank to tip the porter or heck even auction WTB port to destination X. Another circumstance is if i have been xping ill sometimes end up with a few gems so ill end up tipping with precious stones instead of coin.

Although often i might be stuck in the middle where i have neither coin nor gems so i will not be able to tip. I just wanted to give my side of the story and how i manage with this topic.

Port because you can and want to and if you get tipped even better. Knowing you just helped someone get from point a to b should be a reward in itself.

If you only port for plat say so and no ones feelings get hurt.
Closed Thread