Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinkman [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Vendor recharing was completely removed in the sept 9, 2003 patch.
Then it will never be removed on a classic server since recharging was clearly classic.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Two different departments with two distinctly different purposes.
But ran by a man that was with everquest from the start : John Smedley.

Smedley was involved with the creation and development of the original EverQuest and was co-founder of Verant Interactive, Inc., which became Sony Online Entertainment, Inc. (SOE) after it was purchased by Sony Pictures Entertainment in 2000, Smedley Became president of SoE in 2002, when Brad left.

So ... You know what.. I think you are stating opinons as fact when you say the two companies had different purposes =) I think their main purpose was to make money. Control of the game never left VI founders.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Planar Protector

Well... no.. What hasbinbad was calling Sony was a console-based sports game company (989 studios). Verant was not part of that. I think that console-based sports games are clearly distinctive from computer-based MMORPGs. That's a fact I can prove, not an opinion.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Last edited by Samoht; 11-07-2011 at 01:25 PM..
Old 11-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Then it will never be removed on a classic server since recharging was clearly classic.
Now you are just trolling. I specifically stated that it was classic in my OP. I also stated other things that have been considered overpowered, or unbalanced, yet were classic , have been removed.

So your statment is false, It might not be removed, but it being classic will have nothing to do with it. It would be up to the devs to decide whether its too powerful or game changing.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Planar Protector

What's false about my statement? It's not only 100% truth, but backed up by your own posts.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
He admitted that it was certainly classic and viable during the timeline that this server is attempting to emulate.

However at the same time he is putting forth the argument that this server has taken at least one item (hoop) that was classic, reasonably rechargeable, and useful and "fixed" it an attempt avoid imbalancing end game raid encounters. He would like to see this applied to other items which are being used daily by classes that otherwise should be required to either go without or rely on other classes to fill the niche. Examples: Clerics with instant invis rings v. single charge potions. Magicians with instant root nets v. earth pets. These classes do not innately have these abilities and it reduces reliance on other classes which was the very foundation of EQ.

Affecting a change to remove all recharging especially on Locket of Escape would irreversibly damage the Plane of Mischief scene unless it is coded to allow binding of other players which would also be extremely damaging.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Well... no.. What hasbinbad was calling Sony was a console-based sports game company (989 studios). Verant was not part of that. I think that console-based sports games are clearly distinctive from computer-based MMORPGs. That's a fact I can prove, not an opinion.
Oh for the love of Innoruuk!

Sony Owned 989 which had a sports and non-sports departments.

"At the time, 989 (then Sony Interactive Studios America) was split into two main studios, sports and non-sports"

The fact remains that you were attempting to link the fact that VI wasnt the team that made the changes to item recharges, it was SoE. When in fact one of the biggest players in everquest was in control of everquest from inception until way past the change to item recharging. Spfft
Old 11-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinkman [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am sure this thread will be controversial, however I think it needs to be brought up.

First off, one thing needs to be said: Recharging items using vendors is classic, there is no question about it.
Stopped reading here. I love this server! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-07-2011, 01:48 PM
Planar Protector

The Ivandyr's Hoop fiasco caused the hoop to be nerfed because the frequency and magnitude by which it was being exploited, not the fact that it can be recharged.

When you're able to beat Trakanon simply because you have 26 people show up and spam hoops (210 damage a click x 6 clicks a hoop x 26 people > 32000 health), the game is clearly broken. You could then vender a single, fully charged hoop, and then buy the rest back to reload and do it again.

Hoops are still obtainable, but their drop rate is nerfed, and lifetaps were also changed so that they're no longer unstoppable. The recharge nerf might not have even been necessary, but definitely helps to keep those that would abuse it in line with the spirit of difficulty of the game.

Melee paying for a charge of locket of escape for one bind in plane of mischief (where other classes can already bind) is not game breaking.

See the difference?

As I originally stated, I am only trying to assist with your petition by empowering you. The onus is on you to show substantial reasoning as to why it should be removed. All you did was incorrectly state that it was never intended and expect it to be removed because you said so.

I liked that Ele tried. Some additional arguments were provided to show where item recharging might not be in the spirit of the game. But overall, this isn't going away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ele [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Examples: Clerics with instant invis rings v. single charge potions. Magicians with instant root nets v. earth pets. These classes do not innately have these abilities and it reduces reliance on other classes which was the very foundation of EQ.
Last edited by Samoht; 11-07-2011 at 02:04 PM..
Old 11-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Fire Giant

The difference being, I think, that I can't remember ever hearing of people hooping down mobs in actual classic, where as it was actually very common for things like res staffs to be used and recharged in this fashion.

Entirely too many hoops had entered the world here due to their rarity in the lynuga quest being off, and people throwing huge chunks of money at lynuga knowing that the lifetap was essentially unresistable, a problem which has also now been rectified.
Closed Thread