Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 09:04 AM
Fire Giant

I think it's kind of silly to say that the destructible world has no point when a cornerstone of their entire freaking presentation was about layers and discovery. Look I'm really skeptical about it and that's putting it super lightly, but the idea is sound and I'm willing to withhold judgement to see if they can pull it off.

Millburn Pennybags - Blue
Palmer Eldritch - Teal
Old 08-04-2013, 09:26 AM
Aviak

Confirmed in a one on one interview with Dave Georgeson found at http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/eve...ave-georgeson/ at 5:26 that because of there not being a vertical progression system (there not being levels in the game) there isn't going to be "end game raiding". This sucks IMO, while personally I've found myself not participating in raids more often because of time constraints, this seems like a staple of mmos, but more so a staple of Everquest, they really invented the raiding scene. As memory serves the mmos of 1999 that I knew of (asherons call and UO) didn't offer raiding. I think that will be a big turn off for players as it was for guild wars 2.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Sarnak

I didn't think the presentation was all too bad. The wow-inspired graphics are bogus but I can deal with that(other than that kerran model.... that was horrible), the action-packed-explosions-and-flips-everywhere combat was pretty bad, but it could still be fun.

The penalties of death, and the relationship between worldbuilding and pvp is what is gonna save it for me. If it ends up being as open as they say, and we can just run around taking cities for ourselves (our guilds rather :P ) I am gonna have a blast.

Starting a bridge demolition team as soon as I start lol.

Project 1999 Red
Old 08-04-2013, 10:21 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibix [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I played a ton of UO. Please elaborate on what specific builds you did that gimped you because there weren't any (at least when I played). Every melee build was viable, magic was viable, taming was viable. You had to make dedicated characters if you wanted to craft or treasure hunt, but outside of that anything you chose to do would have worked.
7x GM hally mage was pretty much THE build. Swords, Tacs, Wrestling, Magery, Eval, Resist, Med. Of course it other classes could work but this was the cookie cutter build of the game for the most part.

as for EQN Im torn on the game right now. Im going to need to see more before i decide if i want to hate on it or not
Old 08-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millburn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think it's kind of silly to say that the destructible world has no point when a cornerstone of their entire freaking presentation was about layers and discovery. Look I'm really skeptical about it and that's putting it super lightly, but the idea is sound and I'm willing to withhold judgement to see if they can pull it off.
Layers, destruction, and discovery.

So you come up to a wall in a dungeon and start bashing it, oh a hidden room!?

I'm not trying to be a troll douche but i don't see a legitimate decent implication of destruction-discovery, just more time wasting by destroying walls looking for things that may or may not be there...

now if im in a dungeon and the traditional path is to fight through 50 mobs, can i just break through this wall next to me and get right to the end boss? hard to really say much about it when we haven't seen any implications.

I still feel like its giong to be nothing but a wow that was cool factor...

Oh yea .... Piss Off.

H
Old 08-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Sarnak

No levels, instancing outside of cities, no end-game raiding, RMAH where you can buy prestige and items instead of playing to earn them. What ever happened to one game world where everyone plays at once? Looks pretty fail tbh, might be fun to try but so many other MMOs are doing the pretty much exact same thing. Voxels and destructive environment looks unique, as well as a few other things. I will be trying EQnext out but I doubt this game will be successful.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:51 AM
Orc

And no trinity btw...
Old 08-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukaking [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Combat looked terrible. WoW style characters with GW2 looking combat add in the huge amounts of dust and crap so you cant actually see whats going on and there you go!
Couldn't have said it better myself. YOUR SKILLS ARE EVEN DEPENDENT ON YOUR EQUIPPED WEAPONS (DIRECTLY COPIED FROM GW2)

This is an incredibly lazy, incredibly shitty skill mechanic. Essentially you'll have experience every possible skill your character will ever acquire by the equivalent of "level 20" as by then you'll likely have acquired every type of weapon.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:36 AM
Kobold

Basically like you said above, literally the ONLY INNOVATION IS THE DESCTRUCTABLE TERRAIN, that's it.

Everything else about the game looks seriously generic in today's MMO landscape. What a fucking shame. The game literally looks like WOW and GW2 had a bastard child which they abandoned shortly after its birth.

If they dont have some SERIOUS SURPRISES waiting I don't see this game being a success. Nobody is gonna leave WOW or GW2, after they've been playing them for years (or almost a decade) to start over in a game that's basically the same but with destructible terrain.

Fuck....I don't know what SOE is thinking. Did they learn NOTHING from the massive failure that was SWTOR? (A GAME PRODUCED BY BIOWARE AND LUCASARTS, AND FUNDED BY EA!?!?!)

UN-FUCKING-REAL

(the environments, specifically the lighting, look good though. BUT DID ANYONE NOTICE HOW FUCKING CHOPPY THE GAMEPLAY WAS!?!?)
Old 08-04-2013, 11:40 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Let's consolidate into a single thread for the game, with civil discussion.

I just read this article:

http://www.reddit.com/r/EQNext/comme...n_at_the_pool/

And I came at this part:
swg crafting, excellent.