Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 07:31 PM
Aviak

Default Ranger Gear You Can Find Yourself

So I've decided against almost everyone's (probably better) judgment to go ahead and make my first character a Ranger. I've got a post over on the ECL forums trying to buy a Silver Swiftblade, but until that works out, is there anything in Faydwer that I can either get myself or find for crazy cheap?

I snagged a Dragoon Dirk and Shiny Brass Shield for 25pp total earlier (great improvement over the Fine Steel Rapier I had before) and also have a 2handed Dwarven Great Axe that dropped for me earlier today. The DD+SBS is about as effective as the 2hDGA, which is to say not really effective at all.

I've had decent luck finding groups so far but based on all of the Ranger hate I've heard so far, that won't last unless I can gear myself decently well.

Also, should I be turning in these Crushbone pads or selling them to other players? Turning them in would make the grind go a lot smoother but I'm not sure how easy money is to come by for a Ranger in Unrest. Speaking of which, should I move to Unrest around 12 like the wiki page says or should I keep farming Crushbone pads for cash? I turned in belts until level 10 when they basically stopped giving me any xp (I assume due to the penalty) at that point. When's the xp "cutoff" for a Ranger turning in the pads?

Edit: I'm currently 87% into level 11.
Last edited by Axoc; 08-01-2014 at 07:33 PM..
Old 08-04-2014, 03:14 PM
Sarnak

Farm CB pads/belts and sell to players.
Can also farm mino axes/gems off Minos in SF, then farm
Nybright Sisters in LFay for Bronze weapons as you level up.

Save money for good weapons like:
Silver Swiftblade
Green Jade Broadsword
Sword of Skyfire

And save $$ to buy +55HP rings and Hero Bracer.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:52 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone88 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And save $$ to buy +55HP rings and Hero Bracer.
Once I get these 3 items should I be looking to just get what the Ranger article on the wiki says is the best Pre-Planar gear ( http://wiki.project1999.com/Ranger#Pre-Planar ) or should I be saving up money for Kunark era gear?

I ended up grabbing that Swiftblade and a Bloodstained Mantle, which is on the article under Pre-Planar BiS gear but I figured I might as well ask here before dropping plat on that gear.

Edit: All of the specific Ranger guides and not the article seem to say that the Woodsman Staff and the other staff (name is slipping my mind at the moment) are better than the general Ranger article says. So are there other exceptions to that article?
Old 08-04-2014, 06:30 PM
Sarnak

Woodsman's staff probably best ranger weapon pre-epic. Is big upgrade over
weaps I listed, but will cost you more.

Also, another good item to save up for is a haste item...like FBSS.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:58 PM
Sarnak

I wouldn't pay attention to that guide beyond getting some ideas from it. Buy whatever is cheap and good, or look up equipment yourself using the equipment database on the wiki.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:04 AM
Planar Protector

If you are mega short on cash try Kurn's Tower iksar berserker club is easy to get. If you still need magic boots kill the burynai cutter in Field of Bone near the tower for a polished stone anklet or something like that.

You'll be able to loot a tonne of bone chips to sell for a couple of pp a stack and a few fine steel weapons to vendor.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:35 PM
Planar Protector

Sell pads and belts. Go to HHP after CB and kill orcs there, sell those scalps for even more cash. After orcs, kill goblins in HHK, sell the ears for even more cash. I had 4k when I left HHK at 26ish. Ignore the ranger haters. Ranger's build their own reputation -- play well. You're the pace setter in a higher level group and people appreciate good exp. Don't think you're a tank unless there is a slower. If you need help with gear, I'd be happy to give you some stuff, and some stuff you can sell if you wanna expend the effort. PM me on the forums and I'll update my game.
Closed Thread