Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 09:36 AM
Kobold

Say in a group of 3, one of them goes AFKing for prolonged period (like 1 hour), as long as the group is fine with it, I dont see any issue. Me and my group of RL friends always take turns to AFK for around 30mins or so (to have our meals, bathe or other RL stuffs etc), and since all of us are taking turns to AFK, its fair to all of us and we never feel we're breaking any rules. We're all similar level, and thus we wanna XP together to maintain our levels to be the same, thus we will never ask any of us to leave simply because anyone needs to AFK.

So I don think there's a rule against AFKing.

Can any GMs come and clarify please? If AFKing is NOT allowed, GMs should let the server know, least anyone gets banned because GMs did not make things clear.
Last edited by Galaa; 05-09-2012 at 09:38 AM..
Old 05-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Kobold

Just wondering if i can let my friend (who does not play as much) afk in my group while I xp. Nothing shady, I just do not want to do ANYTHING that puts my account at risk. I dont have (nor want) an IP exemption btw.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Fire Giant

If there are two players and one is following the other afk getting XP etc. There is nothing in the rules against this (or shouldn't be). Yes, people can proxy out to avoid having to use an IP exemption and then be under scrutiny but there's nothing which can be done about this in my opinion. If someone wants to do things which are prohibited on the server (boxing, using programs to display spawns etc), they can find ways to do it of they have enough technical knowledge to do so. It's a sad fact. I honestly don't understand why people would come to this server in particular with the intent of boxing or using programs to cheat. There are a lot of other servers in the EMU world which allow such practices. The whole idea of this server is to play on something which is truly challenging and is a close copy of the game as it originally was.
So, in my opinion, running around with someone following you AFK while getting XP should be fine but I'm not a GM. You may wish to submit that question in the petitions section, PM a GM or hop onto the IRC chnl where they regularly hang out.
-----------------------
Old 05-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Kobold

This sort of thing happend all the time pre kunark.. when lvl 50's would be farming something in Lguk. I had guild members at the time tell me i could come sit there afk ina safe spot while the farmed the fbss or whatever it is they were going. It's not 2 boxing at all if you are only on one character. You're just helping someone lvl pretty much.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:08 AM
Aviak

Helping someone leveling faster is ok. I just wish people wouldn’t do it in popular group exp spots, especially in server prime time, where those actions can prevent 6, 12 or even more people from leveling there. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

It’s bad enough with people being allowed to perma-camp spots where gear drops. It would be horrible if we end up with a server where group exp spots are permanently camped as well, with Pling.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:13 PM
Banned

As an extension of this question, would it be allowable to have your Significant Other's characters follow you around in the same way and gain exp as long as you don't touch their computer?

Because I cannot see that as being allowable, yet it is the exact same thing as you doing it with your friends across country. So we are entering a very big gray area which is probably a Bad Thing, and I would say just stay the hell away from anything at all that looks like this. At the least it can lead to petitions that the GMs would have to investigate, taking up their valuable time.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Planar Protector

Too much gray area, too much crusading against boxing. Just allow it, problem kafixed!
Old 05-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quick question please:

If I group with a friend who is logged on his account in another state and then he afks and auto follows me in group while I xp, is that against the rules/boxing?

Or does he have to not be afk, even if he is on his account/his house in another state?

Thanks.

This is a really stupid ass question, and it just proves you are boxing. How many times do you have to say "in a different state".

Short answer: NO.
It's not against the rules.

Long answer:
You're lying and just trying to cover your back for when a GM finds you. Why would having YOUR FRIEND IN ANOTHER STATE *cough* going AFK get you banned. You make me sick.

This is like saying, "I have a friend who has herpes, do you have any advice for my friend, who is not me, who has herpes?"
Last edited by sambal; 05-09-2012 at 04:31 PM..
Old 05-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Kobold

If you are just having your friend follow you around sharing your exp so you can level together, I can't imagine anything would be wrong with that, per se.

However, is your friend a bard? I never played a bard, so I don't know if a bard can continuously play a song like haste/regen/selo's/DoT. If they miss a note, is the song over? or will they continue playing it? To be honest, I am not sure if this would be against the boxing rule or another rule or perfectly fine.

What I do know is that you are opening yourself up to suspicion. At at some point, someone will report you for boxing (or a guide/GM would witness you) and you will likely be scrutinized harshly. I would imagine (I do not know) that when suspected of boxing, both players are asked to do certain things to prove they are not boxing. If the other party does not respond...well, I dunno. Would look pretty bad. I would imagine that a guide/gm would first look to see if you are gaining an advantage by grouping and not just sharing exp.

Your choice, but this server is not a court of law. If accused, you will have to prove your innocence and I am just not sure how you could.
Chimeran - 36 DE Enchanter
<The Mystical Order>
Old 05-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
However, is your friend a bard? I never played a bard, so I don't know if a bard can continuously play a song like haste/regen/selo's/DoT. If they miss a note, is the song over? or will they continue playing it? To be honest, I am not sure if this would be against the boxing rule or another rule or perfectly fine.
If you're passively playing a song it will never end unless the Bard gets stunned. I don't know of any way to have a Bard play multiple songs in a rotation while AFK, and don't think it's possible since /melody isn't in. So yeah you could have a Bard continuously play an AE while you pull mobs on top of them, but it's not as efficient as if the Bard were not AFK.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Closed Thread