Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 11:58 AM
Kobold

Default boxing or PLing?

Quick question please:

If I group with a friend who is logged on his account in another state and then he afks and auto follows me in group while I xp, is that against the rules/boxing?

Or does he have to not be afk, even if he is on his account/his house in another state?

Thanks.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:02 PM
Aviak

Just shooting from the hip, I'd say that's fine. You'll be hurting your own xp intake and run the risk of something happening (loses auto-follow, dies, etc) that will only make it a pain in the ass. I say go for it. It sounds like more work than it's worth to be honest...
Old 05-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Kobold

Yes, assuming that "friend" doesn't mean you remotely connecting to your other PC to circumvent the security checks and powerlevel your other characters.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Banned

Kinda been curious about this aswell, but i allready do it sometimes, assumed within the ruleset as i am not controlling but one char.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Kobold

Forgive my ignorance, but isn't it possible to use a proxy, making it appear as though the second computer is in some remote location from the first?*

I'm sure they have some way of confirming whether or not the two computers are in separate physical locations. In any case, it probably takes a little time, and I'd imagine you might get a temp ban while they sort it out.

*I learned of proxies solely through reading about people coming back to the P99 boards via proxy servers to avoid their IP bans, sorry if that's completely inaccurate. Thanks Harrison!

As they ground to make XP holy . . . let us twink to make it free; our EQ marches on!
Old 05-08-2012, 01:34 PM
Planar Protector

Yes, its possible in a number of ways, and no they cannot tell for sure whether the computers are in separate physical locations.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Sarnak

I'd think if they catch you that you could be banned. Its still 2-boxing anyway if your
"friend" isn't there. Its too easy to log on with a different IP address even from the same computer.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quick question please:

If I group with a friend who is logged on his account in another state and then he afks and auto follows me in group while I xp, is that against the rules/boxing?

Or does he have to not be afk, even if he is on his account/his house in another state?

Thanks.
I think you added unnecessary suspicion about your playing. If your friend is a distinctly different person and you are both fine with someone afking while someone kills stuff that isn't really different from allowing someone you don't know to afk in a group while you kill stuff.
Some other toons
Formerly of TZ
Old 05-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Planar Protector

If you aren't on the same IP and you're actually different people I don't see the problem, and I don't see any risk. I wouldn't feel at risk if I were PLing a guildie while they were AFK, if it was someone whose account info I don't have access to. If it were my fiancee who was "afk" for 8 hours straight and her computer was right next to mine, well, that's basically 2-boxing and I wouldn't risk doing that.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 05-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd think if they catch you that you could be banned. Its still 2-boxing anyway if your
"friend" isn't there. Its too easy to log on with a different IP address even from the same computer.
It's more like 1/2-boxing than two-boxing. If his friend just logs on and leaves, and this guy has no access to that computer to do anything up to and including moving that toon, then all that's going to happen is he's STILL going to be playing one character but sharing the experience with another at absolutely no gain. So in that case I say go for it, since it'd literally be him just being way too nice to his buddy who shouldn't be so damn lazy.

Assuming everything mentioned was true, of course.
Closed Thread