Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 02-19-2012, 03:24 PM
Banned

Default Can you guys please try to get project1999 working with satellite internet

A lot of my friends want to play the game and I know they would be totally addicted again, they live way out in the middle of no where though and use Wildblue, some sort of satellite internet, I've tried everything and so have they to try and get the game working, its got something to do with the computer not receiving packages or something rather. Anyways, I know you guys have got a lot on your hands anyways this should be the least of your worries.

Thanks, Haymaker
Old 02-19-2012, 04:01 PM
Banned

It isn't something project 1999 can do. The problem lies in the connection and not with their efforts, hardware, connection, etc.

I know of people who used satellite internet back when I still played. Try contacting your provider and see if they are blocking certain ports or some nonsense.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:57 PM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-19-2012, 06:34 PM
Fire Giant

I've played games on satellite before, and the issues make it really impossible to play. They'll be approx. 3 seconds behind on everything, which can be killer in a group if they play reaction-sensitive classes.

I was able to get by playing EQ2 by anticipating everything ahead of time, but it can be tough.

As to your current issue, it sounds like there is a firewall blocking ports. Unfortunately I suck at diagnosing networking issues via proxy, but typically the following holds true:

1. If they have trouble connecting to websites in general, then it's the ISPs problem.
2. When plugged directly into the modem, if the performance is improved it's their router's problem. If performance is maintained, then it's a problem with the ISP.
3. If the router isn't the problem, and the ISP isn't the problem, then look for a software firewall on their computer. Windows 7 has one turned on by default. I don't suggest turning it off permanently, but do so temporarily to see if it improves performance.

Chances are it's the ISPs problem. Your friends might have to like...rotate their dish to a different horizon or something. All I know is that if a satellite doesn't have a clear view of the horizon, then packets will get lost.

<<As an aside>>
I once tried to use my apartment complexes internet to play P99, but it was extremely spotty. Like, if I could get connected to the login server, then I had a 50/50 chance of seeing the servers. Then, if I could see the servers, I had a 50/50 chance of not getting kicked to the login screen when I attempted to join. Once I joined, I was golden. I never got kicked during zoning.

I never looked into the issue passed "The internet is extremely crappy", but who knows, maybe it'll just take some perseverance from you guys.