Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 01:14 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Internet Usage

So with this bullshit about internat data caps, what would an average neckbeard session of EQ pull as far as data usage?

Let's say I play for about 6 hours a day and afk overnight?
If I don't afk overnight?
I work a typical 8 hour job overnight but i'm in the boonies and thinking about getting a mobile hotspot and trying to calculate this dumbass data usage before I invest because I am a wage slave.

how the fuck do calculate data usage? I'm sure there is software to do so... but also another question, anyone working in the industry know if this was always the case with data caps and it has just become a prevalent issue because of higher data speeds or did companies introduce data caps just out of nowhere to capitalize and make more profit?
Old 10-25-2014, 02:02 AM
Banned

Online games use like 10-20MB per hour. EQ might be less because of how old it is but I dunno.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:06 AM
Kobold

wage slave is a most depressing term. GL fellow adventurer
Old 10-25-2014, 02:35 AM
Planar Protector

Send a message via ICQ to Uuruk Send a message via AIM to Uuruk Send a message via MSN to Uuruk Send a message via Yahoo to Uuruk

eq uses next to nothing
Old 10-25-2014, 03:31 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

So how about the last part of my post... does anyone know if this internet data cap thing is a new thing introduced only to capitalize on profits or was it always capped before internet speeds became this high?
Old 10-25-2014, 03:46 AM
Kobold

it is purely over profits, itroduced over the last 2 years. they saw they could make extra money buy introducing caps. move started out not so bad then they lowered the cap since people were not going over enough. My house is a heavy internet house and we use over 1000mb a months so I had to upgrade to a 2500mb plan. hate this crap.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:20 AM
Sarnak

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cistern [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So how about the last part of my post... does anyone know if this internet data cap thing is a new thing introduced only to capitalize on profits or was it always capped before internet speeds became this high?
Comcast tested this in my market for 5 years. They put 250gb cap. I would produce 750gb months and never got a notice. I avg'd probably 320gb a month. It is mostly a tool to prevent bot-nets, and torrent-ers off their systems. They could point to a clause in contract and easily boot you.

It is mostly a fear tactic to try to get you to reduce your consumption. Problem is consumption has been increasing year over year at a very rapid rate. Everyone wants a HD quality video, Youtube even does 2k. Shit I thought I saw 4k. Articles like this from 2012 point to it Linky!. Up 120% in 1 freaking year, Netflix responsible for 33% of that increase, Youtube is 8% of all traffic and Facebook double that almost at 15% and this was 2012![You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-25-2014, 04:28 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkCamel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Comcast tested this in my market for 5 years. They put 250gb cap. I would produce 750gb months and never got a notice. I avg'd probably 320gb a month. It is mostly a tool to prevent bot-nets, and torrent-ers off their systems. They could point to a clause in contract and easily boot you.

It is mostly a fear tactic to try to get you to reduce your consumption. Problem is consumption has been increasing year over year at a very rapid rate. Everyone wants a HD quality video, Youtube even does 2k. Shit I thought I saw 4k. Articles like this from 2012 point to it Linky!. Up 120% in 1 freaking year, Netflix responsible for 33% of that increase, Youtube is 8% of all traffic and Facebook double that almost at 15% and this was 2012![You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
holy shit that does explain alot, thanks for your input mate.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:30 AM
Sarnak

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cistern [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
holy shit that does explain alot, thanks for your input mate.
Thanks and I fucked up the % I quoted for youtube and facebook were upstream on mobile not downstream on home which is what your provider is really holding against you. Those are Youtube @ 14.8% of net traffic and facebook @ 2%, Netflix was 33%. And again this was 2012.[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by BlkCamel; 10-25-2014 at 05:22 AM..
Old 10-25-2014, 05:12 AM
Sarnak

I do 12 hour shifts at work and play about 10 hours of that time. I use less then 40mb of data a shift playing EQ. I dont know if i turned off programs that run in background that check for updates etc if that number could decrease but of my 10gb of data limit i dont even get close as long as i dont browse facebook or youtube while tethering off my phone
Closed Thread