Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: Is variance still needed?
Yes, it promotes "competition" 75 29.18%
No, its an unneccesary non-classic time sink 182 70.82%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Ferok

Awesome.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Planar Protector

I think weekly simulated patches plus regular pops that aren't affected by the patches is too many boss mobs for this low population. Not that I am opposed to giving people more chance at loot, but things are going to get flooded fast.
Serilis - 60 Wizard
Decisive - 60 Bard
Winsloe - 60 Rogue
Zaggasauarus - 27 Necro
Old 10-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Fire Giant

Sounds great! My only complaint is that a repop every week is a lot, but its not like I have a big issue with it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
More is better in a way. I just think it would be more interesting if there are random weeks without repops.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Banned

bout time you gave all these sub par bluebies something to do besides whine!
Old 10-12-2012, 02:24 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Ferok

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think weekly simulated patches plus regular pops that aren't affected by the patches is too many boss mobs for this low population. Not that I am opposed to giving people more chance at loot, but things are going to get flooded fast.
I actually tend to agree. Simulated respawn should be simulated reset.
Fire Giant

I like your solution to the resetting of the respawn timer. This will allow for more attempts on the mobs.

I understand the "will not disclose respawn until shortly before it happens", but it would be nice if it were longer for players like me so I can schedule around it (when possible). But I see that as a nice compromise for the guilds that enjoy the rush of batphoning.
Sarnak

I feel good knowing that some things are in the works to try and help out with the current raiding issues.

Though it may take some amount of time to see how they work out, and to tweak them, gotta start somewhere.

Excited to see how this all plays out [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sarnak

This sounds great except that patch day resets will only happen afternoon and evening. There are plenty of people who only get to really play in the mornings, and these people will therefore never get to experience a patch day reset.

Your already cutting down variance, and giving patch day resets, please just let the patch day reset have chances of spawning into the morning or even get rid of the range of times completely.

Your giving a lot to cater to everyone as it is. Having patch day resets that have a chance of happening in the morning and not just afternoon and evening would not hurt anyone. Please consider it
Old 10-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is a continuation from the other thread ( http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=86005 ).

Here is what nilbog and I are currently planning/designing/brainstorming:

We will be cutting the variance in half on the existing raid spawns.

We will be implementing an FTE notice of some sort, whether this is an emote or some type of message.

We will be implementing a simulated patch day respawn. Here is how it will work.

The server will pick one day of each week (Random 1 to 7, Sunday through Saturday). It will then pick a random time. I will not disclose the range of the possible times, but it will only include afternoon and evening hours, so as to give the best chance for the most people to benefit from it.

A serverwide message will go off indicating that the simulated patch day respawn has or will be taking effect shortly. All raid mobs will (either immediately, delayed, or spanned, tbd) respawn.

These respawns will NOT affect the normal respawn times of the mob. For example. If Talendor was killed on Monday, and on death the server determined he would spawn again on Sunday. A simulated patch day occurs on Thursday, his death on Thursday will not reset his scheduled respawn time on Sunday.
Exception: If the mob's spawn time is scheduled to occur within (To be determined, probably either 6 or 12 hours) of the simulated patch day respawn, it will calculate a new spawn time for the mob as it would had he been killed normally, when he dies from the simulated respawn.

Discuss, and know that this system is not final, now or even when it goes live. We will evaluate how it plays out.
A few things:

Firstly, the repops on Live would reset the timers, so I believe they should do so here. Otherwise it seems like this just leads to twice as many mobs spawning which isn't quite classic (there should be more than normal, sure, but not twice a week).

Secondly, I think the variance should always be +/-12 hours. The reasoning is this: a 24 hour window makes any time that the mob could spawn equiprobable, so that players from all time zones can benefit. Any window that is some other multiple of 24 hours long just requires a bigger time investment, while making the mobs no more accessible to euros/aussies/etc.

Thirdly, the simultaneous repops should be announced some time in advance, as all patches on Live were. How long in advance, I don't know. Any more than an hour seems like a bit much.

Fourthly I think there should be a chance (albeit very small) of simultaneous repops happening in the mornings, perhaps on weekends when more people can be online, because of the arguments mentioned by the poster before me. (edit) this is the least important though since varianced spawns can still happen at those times.

Apart from that I think these changes sound great, thanks Rogean/Nilbog
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Last edited by Lazortag; 10-12-2012 at 02:28 PM..
Old 10-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Sarnak

Besides the issue of possibly flooding the server with too many high end items, this is a nice compromise imho.