Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 03:14 PM
Planar Protector

Default Helping population - a moderate approach to permabans

Taken from the question thread to prevent mucking it up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelinda
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullah
Im referring to boxing (ok in all other games/places) as opposed to major offenses which really hurt the server like hacking/3rd party programs (not ok anywhere).

You have a simple solution sitting in front of you that would help the server a ton which is the removal of IP exemptions with those players who've been caught boxing. I refuse to believe staff are serious about helping Red99 so long as they permaban accounts, resulting in a huge negative impact on the community, when they could simply prevent the problem before it becomes a serious issue. In reality, if someone is so deadset on boxing and breaking the rules, they would most likely quit with the removal of their exemption anyway.
You realize that people use vpns, hotspot shields, aircards etc. to box right? so removing their IP exemption won't help in most cases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelinda [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
@Amelinda - I know you know the statistics on what players are abusing IP exemption, and that they are vastly higher than those using other methods of boxing. Every player I've ever heard about being caught boxing did it via IP exemptions. If they are using other methods then I understand them being dealt with accordingly, but the average person breaking this rule is going to be doing it using a method you can easily moderate.

2. I'm not quite as dumb as people think I am.
4. The reason all the players that were caught boxing admit to being on the same IP is because they don't want to admit that i'm smarter than them.
So this is what it's really about, exercising how much smarter you are than kids boxing?

Are you really trying to say that the vast majority of people caught boxing aren't doing so via simple IP exemptions?

In other words, you'd rather continue banning scrubs because catching them provides you with feelings of personal accomplishment and a source of pride which is more important than taking a more moderate approach to crushing thousands of hours of work, eliminating players and friends of players necessary for us to group with, and stunting the growth of the server - resulting in a far less populated, far less appealing game for new prospect players?

Amelinda, please stop being trolled by people calling and/or implying you're stupid. Most of us are glad you are here and find you more than capable of GMing the server. You don't have anything to prove. You don't have to permaban people to assert your adept player-boxing perception. Theres a better solution is all I'm saying.
Last edited by Dullah; 03-23-2012 at 04:01 PM..
Old 03-23-2012, 03:23 PM
Planar Protector

How the fuck did you deduce this:

Quote:
So this is what it's really about, exercising how much smarter you are than kids boxing?
Quote:
In other words, you'd rather continue banning scrubs because catching them provides you with feelings of personal accomplishment and a source of pride
from this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelinda
4. The reason all the players that were caught boxing admit to being on the same IP is because they don't want to admit that i'm smarter than them.
???
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 03-23-2012, 03:25 PM
Planar Protector

If you have to ask, I can't explain it to you.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Planar Protector

In response to harrisons troll (deleted apparently):

Wrong, wrong, and wrong again, per the usual.

I have friends to play with, neither I, nor they need to box. I have no IP exemptions, nor do any of them.

This isn't the same for everyone obviously, and with the steadily declining population, some ideas have to be presented to prevent the death of a dying box. If it can't be ascertained through friendly suggestions, then perhaps something more direct...

People love this game, and when they can't find players in range to level and progress with, ultimately some will resort to boxing, whether to exp, camp items or simply to transfer or teleport. Its just a crying shame when theres more accounts banned than active due to the more trivial boxing offenses.
Last edited by Dullah; 03-23-2012 at 04:16 PM..
Old 03-23-2012, 04:17 PM
VIP / Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Amelinda Send a message via Yahoo to Amelinda

no. that's not what it's about. I ban people for boxing because it's against the rules for them to box.

I don't like banning for boxing. I feel it is good for the server because of the following:

Some people who box....

...RMT
...hack
...cheat in other ways.

it ultimately ruins things for the average player. But the rule is nilbog and rogeans. so i uphold it.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:17 PM
Planar Protector

How does people boxing increase population?????
Old 03-23-2012, 04:18 PM
VIP / Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Amelinda Send a message via Yahoo to Amelinda

and i'd like to say i had banned people on red for boxing in exping. most of them were doing trades...2-boxing to trade items. totally not fair to other people.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Banned

This is a thread that belongs in rants and flames, since it is both.

I'm going to go post threads in the wrong section and I expect everyone suspended who flames in it.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How does people boxing increase population?????
People resort to boxing
> people get banned
> other people quit because their friend was banned
> other people quit because friends got their character banned
> other people quit because their friend quit
> guilds disband/quit because members quitting
> players stop playing because not enough other players
> players stop joining server because not enough players
> server dies

Its a cycle. I am all for rules, upholding the rules. This thread isnt endorsing boxing. This thread isn't defending boxers (neither in Game, or that you wear). I do however suggest that if a more moderate/temperate step be taken prior to permabans relating to boxing, it may (will) help the server ultimately.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Banned

Permaban people too stupid to not follow the rules.

2boxing is against the rules. You blatantly ignore it, you get banned.
Closed Thread