Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 01:45 PM
Aviak

Default What is end game really like?

I played back in 1999/2000 right up until Kunark was first released and my bunk Voodoo2 gfx card just couldn't handle it so I quit. My highest char was a 32 Monk.

I now have a 36 druid and it is really starting to feel like a grind fest for levels as leveling is slow in this game (compared to other MMO's). As soon as I can leave Overthere I will be happier.

Anyways, I've always wanted to get to end game, get end game gear, and see what it's like to feel powerful in this world for once. So is the end result fun or is the journey there, better?
I'm already starting to feel the desire to create another character as lower levels seem to be quite a bit of fun because you move from place to place so fast.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:57 PM
Aviak

I know this isn't exactly what you were looking for, but Druids aren't really a great end-game class.

You might want to roll and level a different char. Since you have Monk experience that might be a good choice, although this server is already a bit Monk-heavy as is.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:04 PM
Aviak

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to be some badass powerhouse of a char with a druid - I know there are healers that heal better and damage dealers that deal more damage. I actually rolled one for a few reasons.. Good money for porting, using said money to gear up my lower level character when I create one, and helping friends with their lower level characters by keeping them healed/sow'd/providing ports. -- just all around a great utility character.

I like the idea of Monk but I was thinking of trying a hybrid like Ranger, SK, or Paladin. Or maybe something completely new to me and MMO's and go warrior.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:11 PM
Aviak

When I think of end-game classes, I think of Warrior, Enchanter, Shaman, Cleric, Monk, Bard, and Rogue.

Again, looking solely at the end-game, Ranger, SK, and Pally are all pretty bad options as well. You may as well call them Death Touch takers.

If you just want to have some fun pre-50, I would roll an SK or Pally. Warriors can be good too but don't really come into their own until 50+, but once you get there they are very much worth it.

Imo, you should have at least one char in your mind for the end-game, and then do whatever you want with the rest of your chars.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:49 PM
Planar Protector

After doing some research this is what I estimate end game content in EQ is when all is said and done.
http://www.project1999.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30
Old 09-22-2014, 03:20 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by capco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When I think of end-game classes, I think of Warrior, Enchanter, Shaman, Cleric, Monk, Bard, and Rogue.

Again, looking solely at the end-game, Ranger, SK, and Pally are all pretty bad options as well. You may as well call them Death Touch takers.

If you just want to have some fun pre-50, I would roll an SK or Pally. Warriors can be good too but don't really come into their own until 50+, but once you get there they are very much worth it.

Imo, you should have at least one char in your mind for the end-game, and then do whatever you want with the rest of your chars.
Something you might also want to consider.

Spell Casters see no real improvement from items. A naked druid vs a fully geared druid heals for just as much, and hits for just as much. Their buffs have the same effectiveness. The only difference is less HP and less mana

The classes listed above (Warrior, Enchanter, Shaman, Cleric, Monk, Bard, and Rogue) with the exception of enchanter, are classes that can receive direct improvements from gear. You'd want to stick to these because if you are truly looking to feel 'more powerful' by being in the end game, then you'll want to feel the effects of your gear that makes you more powerful.

The obvious exception to this is clickies. If you can get things that click and make you better, your class CAN feel more powerful. Notably this is Donal's BP (for cleric) and for shaman it's JBB / Epic. Spells (like Torpor for shaman) can also make you noticeably more powerful - however again you'd be just as powerful naked [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].

Just something to keep in mind!
Scientist - 37 ROG
Old 09-22-2014, 05:07 PM
Planar Protector

Spell casters see no improvement from items. Then the useless fuckers get feared with like 80 mr. Heh.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:43 PM
Aviak

The end game is not as fun as leveling up. If you aren't enjoying leveling up, you will not enjoy the end game IMO. Have fun leveling up, meeting folks, helping people out, etc…that is what the game should be all about.

Damienz - 60 wizard
Old 09-22-2014, 05:47 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeallunRumblebelly [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Spell casters see no improvement from items. Then the useless fuckers get feared with like 80 mr. Heh.
Yeah I mean, that's not to say that having high resistances doesn't make you more 'powerful' in a survivability sense, but that's only really viable in the end game encounters themselves.

To me, I think of doing say a seb group in a 55 warrior with BoE gear from leveling up and a 60 warrior in full VP Gear... there will be a much higher difference in power level.

You should ultimately play what you want to play and play something that fits your style of play. The fun, for me, is 100% leveling up and meeting new people. Once I get to 60 I immediately lose interest in my character.
Scientist - 37 ROG
Old 09-22-2014, 06:20 PM
Retired GM

Location: Cabilis East, in the northwest corner of the zone-in from Field of Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brawley17 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The end game is not as fun as leveling up. If you aren't enjoying leveling up, you will not enjoy the end game IMO. Have fun leveling up, meeting folks, helping people out, etc…that is what the game should be all about.
To each their own.

OP, right now the "end game" is split into, say, 3 factions.

Your hard core raiders (AKA - Class C) - 4 AM batphones, hours of tracking, and required to be ready a moments notice, these are Project 1999's most dedicated raiders. They put hours of time into planning, strategy, and execution, all to get the biggest mobs with the best pixels as often as possible. Because of the way our Classic/Kunark raid content is structured, Class C guilds generally end up getting many more mobs than their Class R counterparts, but sacrifice time, energy, and socks to do so.

Your casual raiders (AKA - Class R) - The majority of raiders fall into this category. Set within their own player managed rotation, Class R enjoys the fight itself as opposed to the challenge of beating your opposition to the punch. With a large window to fight your assigned target, you have plenty of time to set up, get your guild ready, and fight the mob on your terms. Less time and energy, but less targets to go around. Most people fall here simply on the merit that they don't have the time or the desire to go all out P99 like Class C does.

Your non-raiders (AKA - Everyone else, tunnel rats, item farmers) - Content to amass a platinum empire, or simply farm shiny tradeable's with their friends, these players don't care much for the raid scene and aren't concerned with seeing the biggest baddies with the best loot. Many, many people fall into this category - truth be told, there are likely as many or more of these kinds of players than there are raiders. Whether gearing up an alt or just hanging out with friends, this is a popular choice here on Project 1999.

All of these have their own ups and downs, their own disputes, and their own social circles. Everyone is greatly encouraged to work together when problems arise, and generally speaking this happens most of the time. Whatever path you choose, remember that the only way to lose at Everquest is to not have fun and enjoy what you're doing - beyond that, it's up to you to decide who you want your ever quest to play out (yes, that just happened. Cheese level at maximum, call green grocer).

Hope that helps, welcome (back) to the server, and enjoy!
Closed Thread