Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 05:06 PM
Planar Protector

Bloodpoint is horrible. Haste isn't going to do it alone either. If you want aggro as a low warrior in a regular PUG exp grp you are going to need a weapon with an aggro proc.

Maybe your experience of not needing aggro weapons to hold aggro is true for you...but it certainly hasn't been my experience as a warrior on p99.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:51 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Blood point is NOT good aggro.

15ac debuff with 60dd is not good at all by comparison to the weapon this thread is about.

Frostbringer:
12/22- good ratio
**15ac debuff - decent aggro
**60dd - minor addition

WESS
11/23- modest ratio
**4 poison counters (300 a pop) -HUGE (allcaps) aggro
**Blind - good aggro
**5 Atk debuff - extra bonus

Infestation
9/18 - goodish ratio
**3 poison counters (300 a pop) - Huge aggro
**12dd - meh aggro
**10/tick dot - meh aggro

Bloodpoint
10/21 - modest ratio
**80hp lifetap -minor aggro

Cracked claw of Zlandicar
14/25- quite good ratio
**Debuff (55str/agi +24ac) - Strong aggro

Silken Whip of Ensnaring
14/28 - goodish ratio
**Snare (~300) - Decent aggro

Trochilic's Skean (offhand only)
10/25 - not good ratio
**1 poison counter (300) - decent aggro
**spinatun (~350) decent aggro

-----------

Incapacite aggro is comparable to shaman slow. Zlandicar's claw pairs a good ratio with a good proc. The melee threat generated is less than monk epic fist but is better than many warrior ratios. In short fights it will yield more stable aggro and a proc for most groups will seal the deal regardless. Head to head, however, it will lose handily on long fights to infestation which sports an aggro proc close to 1k hate a pop. The strongest aggro of any weapons listed above is actually this thread's namesake - and it's cheap. Per proc you're looking at 1200 on p99 from the poison counters alone --- oh yeah and there's a blind component too ... that spell paladins use so much and for a good reason. You can estimate that at 1400-1600 threat per proc.

To put that into perspective, the Enraging blow proc found on luclin era Blade of Carnage (gold standard for many raid tanks until SSra procmod swords in Luclin is/was only 700 threat per proc.

WESS beats out willsapper and wavecasher for raw aggro as well.

Don't get me wrong, given the availability of raid weapons I would rather swing a different blade but if the only metric you're measuring is raw average hate production - it's damn hard to beat this weapon. As a lifelong warrior main back in the day (career raid tanking warrior on live luclin through SoF, I'm well aware that the RNG in this era is a fickle mistress. Superior ratio with a "good enough" proc will yield a more even-keeled combat experience, but once the procs roll in, the proc on this weapon and infestation put them in a category way at the top of the aggro tree.

On this server even raiding, it doesn't matter though as main tanks are addicted to blowing hammer charges on incoming and then recharging afterwards. The art of aggro domination and threat control (on the part of the raid in general) is lost on this server ... which really is a shame.
Solid post.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:33 PM
Sarnak

Troxx is correct on many points especially on how high end-raiding is done on p99. Of course not EVERY warrior in the raid is going to be Main Tank. It's worth considering your bag of toys as well. To be very clear, blood point is probably not the best agro generating weapon but it does have uses in duoing, soloing (if that's your thing at lower levels), etc...All these weapon combo warrant different tactics for different situations. Consider if WESS/Infestation was the BIS's for just that one purpose, the price would be considerably higher at the top of the spectrum versus the huge array of different combos available. -- Not every warrior needs to be tanking and with DISC's, one aspiring warrior can get very close to DPS of a monk/rogue on specific encounters.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:53 PM
Kobold

First I wanted to thank the poster with the long weapon discussion, it was super helpful and gave me a lot of perspective on aggro mechanics for which I'm very grateful. I've tried to read through Sakuragi's stuff but your approach comparing ratios and proc worthiness was extremely illuminating. Sounds like the WESS is a great weapon for the bag of tricks and for tanking in PUGs which is really what I'm thinking.

Beyond that, sounds like eventually I will be saving for weapons with pure DPS focus too, which makes sense.

Thank you everyone for the input! This forum is why this community is so damn rewarding to play with.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:54 AM
Planar Protector

Best hate weapon in the game for the money, hands down. I mainhand it on raids for one or two procs, then swap back to Silken Whip of Rage / Veldrak's Shortblade. Never have problems.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:22 PM
Kobold

Hey all,

I just wanted to thank everyone for the advice and reassurance on purchasing this weapon.

In short, after using it this weekend, it's a fantastic aggro weapon that I'm extremely glad that I got. The second that proc goes off NOTHING is getting off me. Haven't had an on pull proc yet, but i mostly just try to ensure I pull with Slam to avoid problems.

Great weapon - really glad people encouraged me on it.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:40 AM
Kobold

Why are you face pulling?
Buy a bow.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuuvy The Destroyer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why are you face pulling?
Buy a bow.
Ogres gotta keep up their good looks.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:58 PM
Planar Protector

how fare the cheap scorpikis claw impaler there?
Old 04-02-2017, 03:39 PM
Fire Giant

Scorpikis Claw is 3 poison counters
12 hp dd
10/tick for a decent amount of time

Same proc as Infestation so it's good bang for the buck.
Closed Thread