Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 12:57 PM
Planar Protector

OK, I tried Lower Guk. I'm not familiar at all with the zone so I first spent a while wandering around trying to find an area where there weren't green cons all over the place. Finally got down to level 3 and took that tunnel ("D" on the wiki map), found a hallway with a bunch of dark blues. Aggroed a knight, started root-nuking it. Another one aggroed, kept it root parked. Ran out of mana just before I was able to finish the first knight and had to gate. This was kind of a best-case scenario, IMO; both mobs were melee, only had to deal with two at a time, had a little wiggle room to reroot and stuff, didn't have a lot of resists.

I think Guk is maybe a little too tough for a cleric with poor gear to solo at 47 unless I want to deal with a bunch of high green cons along with the blues ones (I don't). I might go back to Burning Woods. More likely, I'll relegate this guy to grouping only (it's way easier to find groups at level 47 than it was at level 30) and solo on a character that's actually good at soloing.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 07-24-2014, 04:25 PM
Fire Giant

I've noticed with the dungeon ZEMS a lot of the greens/used to be light blues still give pretty decent exp. Keep in mind, sometimes a green will give exp and see no bump and sometimes a green will give a nice bump close to what you'd expect for a blue, probably some magic threshold of level you can't tell by the con.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:31 PM
Fire Giant

Is a dawnfire in your budget? I had lots of fun using a dex set in lguk before kunark was released.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:45 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velerin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've noticed with the dungeon ZEMS a lot of the greens/used to be light blues still give pretty decent exp. Keep in mind, sometimes a green will give exp and see no bump and sometimes a green will give a nice bump close to what you'd expect for a blue, probably some magic threshold of level you can't tell by the con.
If it says ".... it's not certain though" after the green con, it's a former light blue and will give exp. If it just ends at "You will probably win this fight" it's a green and gives no exp.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velerin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I actually did notice this: I think maybe one level of green, like the level right before dark blue, might give dark blue-style EXP. But this is impossible to gauge AFAIK. I think the level range where this happens is extremely limited. In general I just make it a policy not to kill green mobs for EXP. Maybe it's worth it in a dungeon with a nice ZEM as opposed to doing dark blues in an outdoor zone, but I'm not convinced. I do appreciate the advice; this is maybe a bit of an idiosyncrasy of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsome [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is a dawnfire in your budget? I had lots of fun using a dex set in lguk before kunark was released.
I actually was using PWC + fungi + FBSS until around level 40, when it just got to be not worth it. Maybe a dawnfire with a dex set would be better but really all I want to do is to get this guy to 50 (at which point if I want more EXPs I can do Chardok AE). He's 47 now. I'm not spending a bunch of plat on fancy gear for him (the fungi and stuff was left over from my other characters).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruptcy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If it says ".... it's not certain though" after the green con, it's a former light blue and will give exp. If it just ends at "You will probably win this fight" it's a green and gives no exp.
Giving EXP is not the same as giving good EXP; if you look at how much EXP (most) green cons give, it's like 1/2 or 1/4 the EXP of a blue mob. There is a penalty.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 07-24-2014, 04:53 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I actually did notice this: I think maybe one level of green, like the level right before dark blue, might give dark blue-style EXP. But this is impossible to gauge AFAIK. I think the level range where this happens is extremely limited. In general I just make it a policy not to kill green mobs for EXP. Maybe it's worth it in a dungeon with a nice ZEM as opposed to doing dark blues in an outdoor zone, but I'm not convinced. I do appreciate the advice; this is maybe a bit of an idiosyncrasy of mine.
EXP giving greens will give 1/2 as much exp as they did when they were dark blue, a good ZEM can certainly make these little guys worth killing. Just look for the "it's not certain though" to make sure you're not wasting your time.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:45 PM
Fire Giant

Actually what I've found is greens that say "its not certain blah blah" don't all give the same exp (Same deal as when they were still light blue). Sometimes you'll kill one and nothing, sometimes you'll be like damn that was a nice chunk. Even with exact same con you'll see a range of the yellow bar movement.

But yeah I think its more applicablefor melee soloers who can grind thru that high green w/o losing any health or downtime vs. caster who's still gonna have to burn mana to kill.
Closed Thread