Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 05:33 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirled [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
http://wiki.project1999.com/Lore_of_Norrath

there was a Journal and some other character quest list, i think?
I absolutely love your avatar pic lol, I hope you made it yourself
Old 02-11-2015, 09:48 PM
Sarnak

Prima was written by folks that never played the game, and was horrid.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
made for some great reading sir, thanks!!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2015, 09:45 AM
Planar Protector

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I absolutely love your avatar pic lol, I hope you made it yourself
Hey thanks, but negative, I clicked and it was there. I found it on a google search I think; iirc /shrug
Computer stuff I try to keep basic.

<message copied & pasted>
Old 02-12-2015, 09:57 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man0warr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The Prima guide for EQ was outdated even as EQ went live (they write them months in advance).

Most of the info was false or just downright bad.
Nah, this is wrong. The info in that book was 95% as good as you could obtain at the time from anywhere else. It was basically a book version of the p1999 wiki before we had 16 years to refine our knowledge of what is really going on in the game... which was awesome since most people weren't alt-tabbing to castersrealm and whatnot while logged in.

Spell data was available in the books for spells up to level 24 and pretty spot on with the number values and everything. Class descriptions were pretty accurate. There were worthwhile tips about things like fear kiting, healing, tanking, spell use, skills. There was ok info about tradeskills. Plus they were fun as fuck to read on the shitter because none of us had laptops to play EQ on back then so we could shit while still playing.

The books also had a lot of info that was very important to someone starting their first MMO ever besides general info to help pick a class and stuff. Term definitions like LFG, LFM, and whatnot. Etiquette tips, all kinds of stuff.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:29 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnamazing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I forget how to access it, but there's literally dozens of lore stories accessible in game. Pras EQ
Thinly veiled RMT scheme.

I got the Prima guide, it sucked. It had huge lists of item stats, but the items were stuff like cloth armor, fine steel plate (the original storebought stuff), fine steel weapons etc. It DID have good spell lists, and the skill lisys were mostly correct but you dont need those nearly so much. I played in beta and remember lots of wacky things, but none of it made the majority of the Prima guide make sense.

The real use was you didn't have to print out the spell lists and even if you did, your mom wouldn't throw away a book whereas she'd assume anything printed out that was a school assignment was trash.

Myuharin <Force of Will> & Myuharin the Revenant
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeth View Post
6 hybrids in one group.. i believe you may actually LOSE experience per kill.
Last edited by uygi; 02-12-2015 at 06:32 PM..
Old 02-12-2015, 07:24 PM
Kobold

Wow, blast from the past. I wrote several of the chapters of that book. Absor was also an author, and he eventually became community manager, replacing the much reviled Abashi.

I made up all the lore I wrote, straight from the top of my head. I wrote it and expected it would get corrected by the EQ lore team with feedback, but nope! It went straight through.

Fun times, thanks for linking the PDF.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:00 PM
Sarnak

Ah man, I still have my Kunark prima guidebook from when I was like 8. It's super worn out and both covers have fallen off. I love the little stories in it, though they hardly count as lore, and some are pretty poorly written. But hey, nostalgia is nostalgia.

Anyway, I read it for the stories and the class/race/deity descriptions, and the old maps. There isn't really a purpose to a lot of the lists in the book but they can be fun to glance at when you don't actually want to learn anything useful...

Also, my avatar is an image scanned from that book that I colored in photoshop.