Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 05:16 PM
Kobold

Hybrids don't have their autoattack interrupted by casting. It does give them an advantage. Pobably not a 40% exp penalty advantage, but an advantage.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:32 PM
Orc

The attack timer ticks down, but you won't swing while casting. For a while on live, if a ranger's gear was good enough, and / or timing bad enough he would do more dps auto attack afking than we would adding "nukes".

IMO the 40% xp penalty is the least frustrating part of hybrids.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivcho [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hi all,

First post and before I go into my question I have to say this project 1999 thing is truly amazing. I have some of my best life memories from my late teens playing classic EQ and now I'm basically reliving them and it's incredible.

Ok, so my question is this. I used to back in the day mostly play a Dark Elf Shadow Knight and was completely ignorant that an XP penalty actually existed, so I suppose I never really noticed anything wrong. Now that I know it exists I'm reluctant to make the same character again as I fear the penalty would be awful.

How bad is it truly for those of you that have played hybrids or penalized races? Is this penalty in place to essentially offset the benefits a certain race or class provides and therefore ultimately you end up leveling at the same rate and don't really notice? Or is it truly a grueling process to level up a hybrid or a penalized race?

Thanks for your thoughts [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't roll a Troll/Iksar SK unless you're into nails being driven into your cajones

Even with a guise I can't level my Troll SK. It's that painful
Old 08-16-2014, 09:14 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by quido [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do you experience irregularity?
Frequently and violently, and I share it with all my groups :\
Old 08-17-2014, 07:10 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingme [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I can tell you that ranger penalty is terrible. Partnered with a cleric yesterday in unrest and every 1-2 orange I got, he got a level.
Didnt read all the responses but an iksar monk has a 44% penalty compared to a ranger's 40%, yet theres a ton of them around and people are either ignorant to it or figure its worthwhile.

I switched from an iksar SK to a dark elf one because of the silly amout of difficulty to get a group on my iksar one (40% v 68%)...so min/max players are real, out there and a thorn in every hybrid's side. The best way to level a hybrid is to become the person who makes/leads the group. If you get friendly with a cleric you'll have people flocking to join you [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

...just dont be picky and become a min/max player in the process who wont invite a wizard/ranger/etc [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-17-2014, 09:39 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Didnt read all the responses but an iksar monk has a 44% penalty compared to a ranger's 40%, yet theres a ton of them around and people are either ignorant to it or figure its worthwhile.
The regen and extra AC make a better monk. The ranger is worse than inviting the specialized class for whatever role you'd use them for.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:58 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanknspank [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The regen and extra AC make a better monk. The ranger is worse than inviting the specialized class for whatever role you'd use them for.
Rangers are good pullers tho... better than some monks
Old 08-17-2014, 01:11 PM
Planar Protector

Seriously, if you want to play a hybrid, play on Red where they are celebrated instead of scorned. Troll/Iksar SK + CoS is nearly impossible to kill on Red if played right.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:10 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I switched from an iksar SK to a dark elf one because of the silly amout of difficulty to get a group on my iksar one (40% v 68%)...so min/max players are real, out there and a thorn in every hybrid's side. The best way to level a hybrid is to become the person who makes/leads the group. If you get friendly with a cleric you'll have people flocking to join you [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

...just dont be picky and become a min/max player in the process who wont invite a wizard/ranger/etc [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
you switched to a DE because its easier to get a group? only the SK penalty applies to group xp, the racial xp pen is personal. facepalm fail.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tewaz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
play on Red
Closed Thread