Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 05:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhorse [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A big part of the attraction of playing on P99 was getting a chance to play the original trilogy, on a server that was stuck in the original trilogy. To add to that, a big part of the attraction was not reliving exactly how it was then, but how it should have been.

It’s like fantasizing about going back in time and starting your life over the freshmen year of high school. The entire concept is tantalizing because of all the things you would do to improve the experience. You could stand up to that bully, join that sports team, buy that Microsoft stock, and (now that you thoroughly understand cunnilingus) get that girl you wanted. Be forced to just relive it as it was, would be… less enjoyable.

I heard about P99 for years before I first started playing, doubting it would pan out all the time. When I first played I was really, really impressed. P99 in classic? From the start? Amazing! You get to play with “modern” resolutions, play on modern hardware, all on modern internet connections! A dream come true!

To top it all off, you benefit from a decade of less desirable things taken out of the game. In game maps, mobs con the appropriate color, UI modernizations, proper gamma implementations, item links, and many, many more. I personally found all of these (maybe minus the maps) marked improvements.

A lot of tweaks did need to be made, to swing it more to the overall feel and flavor of classic. However, steadily changes have been made that seem to be making the game less fun, just for the sake of being more “classic”. I don’t like this.

I understand that there are probably legal constraints that prevent the Devs from profiting from the server. But I would be willing to bet that many people that play here would rather incentivize forms of positive maintenance, opposed to ideological forms of regressive maintenance.

There is also the issue of “kicking away the ladder”. Many people on this server have already progressed very far, under the old lenient system. New players have to start from scratch under the new, less fun, oppressive system. I think the inability to monetize P99 probably has a lot to do with caring less about new players. But, I don’t like this either.

But thank you very much for P99’s existence! - Redhorse
Bolded part is where you are wrong. Sorry you came here thinking the wrong thing.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:57 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Code
  • Haynar: Fix for bard songs.
What specifically was changed with bard songs?
Old 12-06-2014, 11:34 PM
Aviak

Not sure if this was a change or if this is a bug but Selos song of travel drops as soon as another song is cast...
Old 12-07-2014, 06:04 AM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stifling [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not sure if this was a change or if this is a bug but Selos song of travel drops as soon as another song is cast...
Selo's Song of Travel is an invis song, so that's right.

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Old 12-12-2014, 11:41 PM
Planar Protector

All classic arguements are nullified by the fact that Blue 99 casters have been able to duck cancel spell cast (non era correct) for multiple years while Red 99 casters have had to wait for the entire cast time to run out before casting another spell.

All staff has known about this since day 1 and have left it as-is.

These changes are dumb, and yes, in total darkness your classic solid non see-thru UI was full bright and really nice and happy just the way bristlebane meant it to be.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:11 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bolded part is where you are wrong. Sorry you came here thinking the wrong thing.
How is someone's personal opinion on what attracted him to this server wrong? Am I wrong for liking coke over Pepsi? The only thing wrong with his statement is that it doesn't align with the devs vision, but he's saying what brought him here wasn't that. I agree 100% with him.

Monks will be OP gods in velious because the nerfs didn't come until the end of the expansion / luclin, but in the name of classic we will have an incorrectly and unbalanced class. That just seems dumb in my opinion. Same with hybrid exp, same with hybrid mana cost, I could go on for a long time.

Ultimately though, it's the devs vision, it's their playground, and it's still better than anything else out there. So pras to that.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrand [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How is someone's personal opinion on what attracted him to this server wrong? Am I wrong for liking coke over Pepsi? The only thing wrong with his statement is that it doesn't align with the devs vision, but he's saying what brought him here wasn't that. I agree 100% with him.

Monks will be OP gods in velious because the nerfs didn't come until the end of the expansion / luclin, but in the name of classic we will have an incorrectly and unbalanced class. That just seems dumb in my opinion. Same with hybrid exp, same with hybrid mana cost, I could go on for a long time.

Ultimately though, it's the devs vision, it's their playground, and it's still better than anything else out there. So pras to that.
Voicing your opinions is fine but dont use it as a argument as to why someone shouldnt do what they want with their project. Opinions are fine but in the long run mean absolutely nothing to people unless they want to take them. And obviously his opinion of what this server was suppose to be isnt what it is. If you like Coke thats fine but don't make posts saying Pepsi is wrong in what they are doing because you like coke more. And yes its the dev's playground in the end and their opinion is the only one that matters.
Last edited by Thulack; 12-13-2014 at 04:03 PM..
Closed Thread