Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 05:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrith [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In EQ I played Enchanter LIVE and Cleric P99. I don't think I would mind either of these roles. But I really need to get familiar with the classes again and how they work on DAoC. Maybe I should check out that Gensis server or something in my off time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scikala [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I play a bard here, and healed in a hardcore raid situation in WoW up to the current expansion sans Siege of Orgrimmar, so whatever role Lyrith doesn't go for, I could.
Sorry guys, I just saw these two posts of yours, despite them being 2 months prior, thanks for replying!

You'll have plenty of chances to learn how to play on the way up in a team environment, especially if you stick with my group. You'd both be welcome to play whatever classes you'd choose ofcourse, but would be great if you were comfortable with playing CC/Healer types on Uthgard.

Being casters/healers in DAoC takes some getting used to, but we'll be there to help with anything you guys would need, from questions to tactics to gear, every step of the way, like a real guild should.

Be sure to check out the Character Spec Builder in the first post of this thread, it'll make it much easier to plan ahead some, and to see exactly what types of abilities a class will have on Uthgard (all classes except those with [C] as a prefix will be playable when the server is up again.) Most people just bump the level all the way to 50, and plan their spec accordingly, which isn't a bad idea to see what you'd want once you're there, but my advice would be to plan your specs no more than 10 levels ahead. This way you'll be able to maintain a much better balance on your way up.

Most healer types in DAoC make the mistake of ignoring the heal spec for the first 20 levels or so, and just dumping points into buffs and such, even veteran players do it that way - but it's not very efficient because the less spec points you have in a certain path, the less efficient the base spells within that path will be. There are 2 types of spells you get in DAoC; base spells (which are obtained automatically as you level,) and spec spells (which are obtained only when you train and invest spec points into a specific path.)

However, spec investment has a direct impact on spell efficiency and variability, so if you're a level 10 healer, but have all your points invested in the buff spec, you'll still have the base heals but they will be very unstable for actual healing, such that it's very easy to end up burning all your mana trying to heal your group fighting just 1 mob, it's especially true for low levels.

I've played and grouped with just about every class in the game in all 3 realms, so I'll always be able to answer your questions with good advice. That char builder isn't just a good way to see what spells/abilities your own class gets, it's a great way to see what your group and enemies have also.
DAOC Class Descriptions by Crith (for all 3 realms, with some comparisons to EQ classes)
DAOC: Uthgard Revamp (old thread with some useful info)
"Sometimes a Majority means, that most fools are on the same side"
Old 06-25-2014, 06:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilist_santa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am just glad they are fixing whatever bug they are claiming caused the sloooooow ass exp in pve. Also bolt spells are supposed to be fixed along with a ton of other fixes that made it kind of lame before.
Where'd you see that part about the 'slow' PvE XP? It wasn't so bad last time I played there 1.5 years back, to be honest - it used to be ALOT worse on Uthgard, and even more worse than that, during the first era of DAoC LIVE itself! Solo XP in DAoC sucks outright, I'd never recommend leveling that way to anyone, especially since buffbots are against the rules, just like on P99. Group xp can be exremely fast depending on group make up and location, but I'd suggest making friends and grouping with the same players as often as possible, provided you find the types you're looking for.
DAOC Class Descriptions by Crith (for all 3 realms, with some comparisons to EQ classes)
Old 06-25-2014, 08:06 PM
Planar Protector

this sounds very interesting. i believe that i would like to take part but as im new to DAoC, i will have to do some research before i get involved. i was hoping someone could point me to a resourceful guide as to the roles of each class.

i have always done best in a CC role, but i also enjoy being dps/utility.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:30 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by phacemeltar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
this sounds very interesting. i believe that i would like to take part but as im new to DAoC, i will have to do some research before i get involved. i was hoping someone could point me to a resourceful guide as to the roles of each class.

i have always done best in a CC role, but i also enjoy being dps/utility.
Would be great to have you, DAoC came out 2 years after EQ, so they have alot in common, though class names might be a bit misleading when compared to their EQ counterparts. The sites I've used in the past to help introduce new players to the game are down unfortunately, although there's the camelot.allakhazam.com DB which is still up.

I'll write the basic descriptions here for the time being, I'll try to find a decent site which would go into more detail though. Depending on the spec(ialization) of the class you pick, you'll have different spells/abilities, so for example; 2 high-lvl Wizards can have enitrely different spec spells based on the way they invest their training points as they level. That's one of the better things about DAoC, you have to choose between different paths, and your decisions will have a great impact on how good your character can get. If any of you here played WoW, the Talent Tree system is basically a copy of how spec paths are in DAoC.

The amount of training points differ by class, Healers & Casters get 1.0x points per level (when you get lvl 5, you get 5 pts, when 6 then 6 pts, etc.) Pure Tanks get 2.5x from what I remember. If you use the Character Spec Builder I posted on page 1, you can see how it works for yourselves.
ddd
Come to think of it, I vaguely remembered writing all the class roles out on page 3 of this thread. I've linked the page instead of the post, cause I also wanted to show you how it's possible to level off PvP almost exclusively. The XP gained through PvP is also uncapped, check out that screenie to see how it looks. The image shows what capped XP looks like at lvl 48 after killing Legion, one of the toughest raid mobs in the game across all 3 realms, in comparison to killing a lvl 49 Shaman (cave spec, not so easy to take down 1v1, especially cause they were buffed and I wasn't.)

DAoC Class Roles by Realm
Old 06-26-2014, 05:02 AM
Large Rat

i was really interested in playing this because I love MMO pvp but the pve was clunky as balls

do you use a voice chat that can provide information live while i stuggle to get a grip if i make an effort to try this again?
Old 06-26-2014, 06:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Where'd you see that part about the 'slow' PvE XP? It wasn't so bad last time I played there 1.5 years back, to be honest - it used to be ALOT worse on Uthgard, and even more worse than that, during the first era of DAoC LIVE itself! Solo XP in DAoC sucks outright, I'd never recommend leveling that way to anyone, especially since buffbots are against the rules, just like on P99. Group xp can be exremely fast depending on group make up and location, but I'd suggest making friends and grouping with the same players as often as possible, provided you find the types you're looking for.
I believe it was Blue who stated that there was a bug causing issues with xp gain on the Uthgard boards. From what I had gathered from his post at the time was that was one of the core reasons why they were doing the revamp so they could eliminate the bug. He was claiming they never knew about it until recently if I recall. I played DAoC when it launched on live and xp was slowish but nowhere near as bad as on uthgard. I don't recall the specifics but maybe he said it had something to do with "camp" bonuses?
Old 06-26-2014, 06:31 AM
Planar Protector

Oh and I will be playing Midgard when it launches. Probably roll Shadowblade or Runemaster. Midgard for life!
Old 06-26-2014, 06:40 AM
Planar Protector

http://uthgard.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=33565
Check the 2nd post on that link Scrooge for info about xp revamp.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:18 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sssleeve [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i was really interested in playing this because I love MMO pvp but the pve was clunky as balls

do you use a voice chat that can provide information live while i stuggle to get a grip if i make an effort to try this again?
We most likely will when there's a need for it, Uthgard actually has it's own TS. If we end up making our own guild instead of joining another, we'll have our own private channel also, unless one of the members has a better option that is.

When we start up, I'll post everyone's names / classes / realm in this thread, so you can ask any one of our non-p99 players for assistance any time, that goes for everyone who wants to roll with our team!

I've created an IRC channel for our guild-to-be, for the time being, for all of us to meet in, on irc.rizon.net, channel #fury. It's great especially for a crew with varying time zones, we should all idle in our channel as much as possible, to get familiar with each other, live chat is a much better way of me answering any additional questions you may have, or even scheduling group times by posting them in the topic.

If you've never used IRC before, it's a simple chat-room kind of server, stands for Internet Relay Chat. To get the windows client, go to www.mirc.com, it's a fairly straight forward setup. Once you setup your nick/alias (use your p99 forum names for now, so I'll know who's who for the time being,) do /server irc.rizon.net, then /join #fury. You can even register your nick with a password so that no one can steal your name there and we'll always know it's the real you, syntax is: /msg Nickserv register passwordhere emailhere, then you'll get an email with a confirmation code you'll have to enter and that's that.

I'll cya all there!
Old 06-26-2014, 07:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilist_santa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh and I will be playing Midgard when it launches. Probably roll Shadowblade or Runemaster. Midgard for life!
I want to go Midgard also, and even though I can make that decision for my team, I prefer we'd take a vote on it, on IRC. That's another reason I want us all to meet in the channel I made in the post above, to figure things like that out so no one feels left out.

I'm usually a Skald whenever I play Mid, I liked it so much that I had 2 lvl 50 Skalds on Uthgard, just because the first time I leveled on Uth was during 2006-2007 when not only was XP slow as shit, and server was way buggy than 2 years later, but I didn't get to enjoy the BGs the way I wanted to due to lack of population at the time as well.

As fate would have it, one of my old guildies was starting up a char to play with the rest of the guild, so I made a new Skald to level and pvp with him on the way up, and I've enjoyed that experience tremendously, as you can tell from this screenie here!

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

That's how we roll! 2 level 43s vs an RR5 L50 Blademaster, and we had even more of a handicap cause the Savage didn't enchant his player-made weps, which made him miss 50% of the time (he actually thought it was the class that was broken for a while cause of that.)
Last edited by Scrooge; 06-26-2014 at 07:31 AM..
Closed Thread