Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 07-01-2018, 12:47 AM
Aviak

Default Dispel system is so screwed up...

Every single time...

I fully buff up. I have like 8 junk buffs and then DMF in 9th slot and POTG in 10th. I get dispelled twice and lose potg and dmf. My top buffs don't get targeted. My weak "low counter" buffs don't get removed. I lose my buffs that take 400 mana to cast or I get from other players.

Every single time. How is this a thing?
Old 07-01-2018, 08:18 AM
Planar Protector

Usually when I'm getting consistently dispelled on the 4th slot or something, I camp out and when I log in again my buffs are in a different order because the client got out of sync with the server.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:21 AM
Server GM

This thread may help answer some questions regarding dispelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contraceptive View Post
If you can prove God is real to me I might believe you aren't just a virgin that has been given fake internet powers that you over-wield on an imaginary game. Also, don't forget to take contraceptive, the world doesn't need any more yous. Ah who the hell am I kidding you're not reproducing you're too busy blanket banning people on a 20 year old elf simulator.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:55 PM
Aviak

I read that thread before I made this post to see if I could figure out how the system is supposed to work.

I reset my buffs with either a death or clicking off every buff and zoning to begin the rebuff. I tried to keep the same buff order through the grind session.

1. Spirit of Wolf
2. Lich
3. Shadow Sight
4. Spirit Armor
5. Resist Poison
6. Resist Magic
7. Dead Man Floating
8. Arch Shielding
9. Skin Like Nature
10. Regrowth

Testing on the guards in Felwithe who will chain cast dispel. I'm not sure if it's Cancel Magic or Nullify - but for the purpose of this test and these results it is irrelevant.

Through several nights of grinding I haven't had SoW or Lich dispelled a single time. Not once - and they are my first 2 buffs always! I set it like this so I could replace with jboots and my Allure of Death clicky when I got dispelled.

That never happened though. Instead, dispel would typically land on me 2-4 times in a row without losing any buffs then I would lose either Skin or Arch Shielding. Occasionally I would lose DMF, but it was almost always Skin or Arch Shielding lost first. After one of those was dispelled I might lose Shadow Sight or Spirit Armor before I had a chance to rebuff. Resist Poison/Magic was almost never dispelled.

I read how dispel is "intended" to work... but it certainly does not work that way. I do not remember dispel working like this during this time period on live. I do not remember experiencing dispel working like this on any other box. Something is broken. My Skin/Arch Shielding/DMF/Regrowth should not be getting dispelled before SoW/Jboots/Shadow Sight/ResistX every single time.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:03 PM
Fire Giant

When it comes to mobs casting dispel spells, I don't think buff order means anything anymore, unless it's (dragon) aoes with a dispel component that always nuke the top buff.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:20 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When it comes to mobs casting dispel spells, I don't think buff order means anything anymore, unless it's (dragon) aoes with a dispel component that always nuke the top buff.
It 100% matters when it comes to regular spells too.

As far as OP, the Felwithe guards are Paladin's so they are definitely casting regular Cancel Magic, Nullify Magic is a level 58 spell for Pally's.

Here's the best description that I've seen on P99's dispel system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Most of basics are this. Not totally, but this is general idea.

Say buff 1 has 3 effects, we assign it 3 counters with a strength of 3.
Buff 2 has 4 effects, 4 counters, strenth 4
Buff 3 has 1 effect, 1 strength.

If u have those 3 buffs in order, and cast cancel magic.

It checks buff 1, do say a rand 100, it has 3 str, so if ran less than 33, kills buff and done

If it fails its check counter -1. If counter at 0, dump buff, done.

If no buff dumped, move to buff 2. If ran 100 < 100/4, dump buff, else counter--

If no buff dumped, go to buff 3. It has 1 counter, so if we passed all the other checks to get her, we kill the buff. It looks like cancel magic takes out buff 3. Wow, looks random. But its not.

Thats basic idea. A buff can have up to 8 counters. So you could take 8 cancel magics to dump.

If you have a dispell(9). It does 9 iterations on each buff. But stops after kills a buff, for that slot of dispell(9).

2 dispell 9 buffs always take top 2 slots, unless its a buff that cant be dispelled. Think rez effects.

You could have a cancel magic cast once lower all counters of all buffs by 1, but if all passed their check, and none hit zero counters, none disappear.

And it can make it look like buffs get removed at random.

Thats the basics.

H
buff yourself then cast cancel magic on yourself 10 times rebuffing whatever gets dispelled after each time. I bet you take out one of the top 2 or 3 slots at least 7 times out of 10 if not 9 times out of 10. I did that like a month ago and these were the results.

Quote:
I cast 4 low level (under lvl 20) buffs on myself, and then cast Cancel magic on myself 10 times, recasting whatever buff got dispelled after each Cancel Magic. Slot 3 or 4 never got dispelled.

1 - Slot 2
2- Slot 1
3 - None
4 - Slot 2
5 - Slot 1
6 - Slot 2
7 - Slot 1
8 - Slot 1
9 - Slot 1
10 - Slot 2
Old 07-01-2018, 10:36 PM
Aviak

My first 2 buff slots also had weak/low counter buffs. Whether the dispel system targets counters or slots, those should have been the ones dispelled. Not Arch Shielding, Skin like Nature, etc that were at the back.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:00 PM
Kobold

Going by Haynar's post, if you have two single counter buffs (like see invis and an illusion for example), an annul cast should never get beyond those into your stronger buffs that you intended to have protected against dispels. This just isn't the case though, hence the frustration of many. Have 4 single counter buffs at the top of your buff bar should protect you against having things like aegos and skins dispelled, but it doesn't.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:18 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Going by Haynar's post, if you have two single counter buffs (like see invis and an illusion for example), an annul cast should never get beyond those into your stronger buffs that you intended to have protected against dispels. This just isn't the case though, hence the frustration of many. Have 4 single counter buffs at the top of your buff bar should protect you against having things like aegos and skins dispelled, but it doesn't.
this this this this
Old 07-02-2018, 06:49 AM
Fire Giant

I keep up 8 junk buffs (monk epic, ring 10, 5 flowers, see invis bracer) and will still have buffs dispelled from my 9th slot or lower at times. This seems fucked.