Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 10:38 PM
Large Rat

Default What do parties favor more - SK or Warrior?

I'm about to start a fresh new character (gonna roll with Iksar) and can't decide whether or not I should go SK or Warrior. I already know the things how SK has more utility and better for solo compared to a warrior. One of the biggest things I may want to play a warrior is simply because they can dual wield and don't have to worry about mana what so ever. But most importantly... which tank do parties usually favor more of the 2? I always love playing the role of being a tank, in which a tank is best when used when in a party. I also just love being a needed class. But I rather be the more favored class for a party and not just simply " needed ".

Also, I still have never even started P99. Still waiting on my copy of Titanium which won't arrive til next week. I'm not 100% sure what to expect yet depending on the current expansions on P99 that will have effects and more/less benefits towards a SK or Warrior at the moment.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:49 AM
Fire Giant

Gear dependent classes such as Warrior and Rogues are the absolute toughest to start off with.
It's doable. But it won't be a super smooth road. I started here as a Rogue and it sucked until I started getting Planar gear.

I don't think people really care what tank class you are in a group (not anymore since class XP Penalties were lifted). They're mainly going to care about your ability to hold aggro and survive.
If you're starting new you might want to go with a hybrid which has spells to counter the fact that your gear is going to suck. That way, with spells, you can actually hold aggro. Then you only have to worry about the 'surviving the aggro' part.
Either way stick with it. This server is awesome.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:53 AM
Planar Protector

Being far away from EC mart may be a little disadvantage for a fresh warrior. That said you might be able to rotquest a Forest Giant Hammerin Warslik's wood when you first get started, and replace it in your teens with a Iksar Berserker Club from grouping in Kurn's Tower (pretty much the best weapon you can find in the field for many many levels).

If you don't want to risk visiting the giant castle early on Tarnished Shan Tok is good enough to 1 hit kill level 1 mobs, which are xp until you hit level 5.

Don't worry about the surviving part; work on your Curscale Armor for the first few levels. In kurns you can replace it with reinforced rhino, ruined scaled and Burynai Hide.

Fashion-wise Shestar's Scaled Coif gives a nice looking hat.

Speaking of Quests, in addition to Curscale Armor and Shestar's Scaled Coif Large Scorpion Claws are going to be worth gathering up for xp.

Xp-wise, once you are bored of killing the yard trash, move on to the spiderling caves in Field of Bone or the pit, and then into Kurn's Tower. When you outlevel Kurn's Tower, you can try the giant fort in Warslik's Woods or Lake of Ill Omen for groups, both of which can drop items which will be useful to you.
Last edited by Jimjam; 06-15-2017 at 04:04 AM..
Old 06-15-2017, 06:07 AM
Planar Protector

Most groups in a vacuum will prefer SK for aggro lock at all levels of gameplay that don't require defensive discipline.

Warriors do the job well enough but generating threat requires gear/money. A sk with a set of banded (or naked) will be able to function well from the start. A brand new warrior is staring down the daunting hurdle of acquiring haste and good quality weapons (neither are cheap for a new guy) before threat is more manageable.

The *best* group tank in my opinion is the paladin, but you didn't list that class. Aggro is simple. Paladins also have group utility out the ears (lull, root, stuns, heals, buffs) with 90% Rez being the cherry on top late game. They lack the mobility of the SK and no feign death (which is amazing). If I had to pick between equally well geared tanks, I'd opt pal > sk > warrior for routine content and war > pal > sk for tough things that defensive would be useful for.

At the extremes of raid gear I'd probably go warrior for all as nobody will die regardless, aggro is trivial with high end weapons and 41% haste, and warrior dps is head and shoulders better than knight.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Last edited by Troxx; 06-15-2017 at 06:13 AM..
Old 06-15-2017, 07:48 AM
Planar Protector

With Velious out it is so much easier now for rangers to have 'enough' ac and to build up their hp. As such I actually think a reasonably geared ranger could be a contender the best group tank for non-defensive disc content.

Dps of warrior, most of the spell utility of paladin, can take hits sufficiently well now. Whats not to love?!
Old 06-15-2017, 09:31 AM
Fire Giant

monk imo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-15-2017, 09:33 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Most groups in a vacuum will prefer SK for aggro lock at all levels of gameplay
This is no longer applicable at level 55 when Warriors gain the ability to kick-bash. It makes a huge difference for mob control, and knights become basically useless from then on due to their lack of DPS contribution.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:38 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is no longer applicable at level 55 when Warriors gain the ability to kick-bash. It makes a huge difference for mob control, and knights become basically useless from then on due to their lack of DPS contribution.
Kick-bash aside, knight will still have an absolute aggro lock advantage at the start of fights where it really matters. Very little content out there favors warrior survivability and few groups out there rely on the dps contribution of the person filling the 'tank' job.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 06-15-2017, 09:39 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
few groups out there rely on the dps contribution of the person filling the 'tank' job.
Man, you must have never PUGed on this server.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:52 AM
Fire Giant

Warrior if you plan to do anything at 60. Also, warrior dps is top tier here. Warrior gets weaker and weaker up till 49. At 50 they can start using good proc weapons (slow, lifetap), 52 is evasive, and at 55 kicks stun. A 60 warrior with gear can basically run around anywhere on this server without a real threat of anything being able to kill you. Also, warriors can do a ton of spells here via procs and clicks. Basically become rangers (minus track) in utility.