Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 09:56 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caiu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sounds like you are trying as desperately as you can to justify your subpar class. I'd take a well geared and well played warrior in most groups over a Paladin. Unless I was playing my monk in which case none of those classes would be tanking.
Eh ... I don't have a pony in this race.

Sage is correct.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 06-16-2017, 01:19 PM
Planar Protector

How often does a well-geared Warrior do leveling-type groups? Heck, a well-geared anything? That's a meaningless discussion of hypotheticals. Folks sitting in north Temple Veeshan gear aren't exactly filling up the LFG lines in Karnor or City of Mist. The Warriors you'll get during the leveling phase will mostly be typical for that environment: Mediocre equipment and largely unable to hold aggro with any reliability.

In response to the original post: Shadow Knights serve well for leveling, and small-group (duo/trio/etc) activities at the level cap. They're not a key raid class. Warriors are the opposite, functioning only poorly in typical leveling groups but they're a critical raiding class. Most pick-up groups are happy to have any kind of tank, as the archtype isn't particularly common, but given a choice they tend by and large to prefer tanks who can hold aggro reliably, meaning knight types. No tank class shines through all facets of the game, so pick a class that suits what you like doing most.

Danth
Old 06-16-2017, 02:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How often does a well-geared Warrior do leveling-type groups? Heck, a well-geared anything? That's a meaningless discussion of hypotheticals. Folks sitting in north Temple Veeshan gear aren't exactly filling up the LFG lines in Karnor or City of Mist. The Warriors you'll get during the leveling phase will mostly be typical for that environment: Mediocre equipment and largely unable to hold aggro with any reliability.
You don't need ToV gear. Thurg quest armor, WESS, and Frostbringer should suffice perfectly well.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:52 PM
Fire Giant

Levels 1-59: by far prefer a knight for their aggro abilities. I would absolutely hate grouping with warriors in xp groups.

Level 60: at max level warrior is king for tanking. Knights don't really have a purpose for most raids. Pretty sad really
Old 06-17-2017, 10:37 AM
Fire Giant

Unless the target is a raid boss I will always prefer a knight tank over a warrior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by branamil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Level 60: at max level warrior is king for tanking. Knights don't really have a purpose for most raids. Pretty sad really
nah.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:25 PM
Banned

Can't get aggro with ur warrior? Get someone to root the mob you're tanking. Stand closer than everyone else.

Youll maintain aggro and at level 60 won't have a useless knight
Old 06-17-2017, 06:07 PM
Planar Protector

I never quite know whether you're serious or not, but root doesn't really work for aggro control (and in fact is often counter-productive) against the types of things--tough, highly resistant creatures--that can actually threaten a group of level 60 players. That works for karnor or sebilis trash though.

Danth
Old 06-17-2017, 06:27 PM
Banned

Yeah but at level sixty, your warrior has good aggro tools. That was a suggestion for the levelling curve as an under-geared warrior struggling to maintain aggro.

At sixty, it's easy enough to snap aggro with taunt, kickstun, and auto attack. If you're desperate, a click of the root net!
Old 06-17-2017, 09:38 PM
Kobold

Nobody seems to ever factor in the HP that is saved and extra DPS done by everyone else with the SK life tap and stat taps.
When I tap AC, its impossible to calculate the extra DPS everyone is doing on every mob because of me.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:40 PM
Aviak

For the 1-59 leveling game, parties will favor people they know and have proven they know their class, how threat works, how CC works and is broken, know the area and the enemies-their spells or special abilities and there for which ones to prioritize.

They will ignore people who get a reputation for bad play, loot stealing, rudeness, and/or general unwillingness to learn from mistakes. Or put simply- act like an ass and get people killed you can expect to spend a long time soloing. Your reputation is a hell of a lot more important than your class. That's still mostly true even when you talk about raids.

I would say generally speaking there is a slight bias based on your level of gear- especially for warriors since it makes such a bigger difference in your performance. But it is in no way like the bad old days before the class xp penalty was patched out when an Sk, Pal, or ranger were almost pariah-like to casual groups that did not know you.

There is situational bias- like a party with no CC might really need a sk or monk to feign pull or trust a paladin to lull pull. A loaded group however might prefer the much improved dps of a geared warrior. Root doesn't solve all the warriors aggro issues but 9 times out of 10 it really is all you need.

Personally I would choose the sk or paladin for a new player with no help on starting gear. That's partly my bias as I just find the EQ warrior boring to play, but having spells does make you more self-sufficient and able to compensate when things go bad in your average pick up group.
Closed Thread