Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 08:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bash, Slam, and lv55+ Kick can stun stunnable targets. Taunt works better the closer you are to a mob. The 0,0 location of a mob is directly in front of it, not the center of it.

If someone out aggros you, try swapping in a shield (or slam) for a single bash, if it lands position yourself in front of the target and hit taunt. During this stunned state the other person will usually move out of the way and your taunt will have the best chance to be successful. Distance also matters for aggro so when that person backs up it gives you a much better chance of first aggro after the bash goes through. This is all much easier with slam or 55+ kick. Realize all of this has to occur in less than 2 seconds, but I use it all the time for things stunnable.
Naethyn is a true god of warriors. ^^^
Old 06-23-2017, 11:06 PM
Fire Giant

Not sure if it actually makes any kind of difference but I weave disarms in there too lol.
Fauvana 54 Erudite Necromancer
Seliel 24 Erudite Rogue
Deepwalter 6 Erudite Paladin

Fauvano 40 Dark Elf Necromancer
Stoppinswords 11 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 06-24-2017, 02:32 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
kick (stun or otherwise), bash, and slam provide VERY minimal threat. Anything is better than nothing, but kick-stun does not really generate much hate and shouldn't be assumed to do so.

Not counting consumables or charged items, as a warrior you basically rely on haste, weapon ratio, and weapon proc. The first two are directly under your control while the last is a matter of choosing your weapons (and dexterity on gear) wisely, and straight up luck.

The only skill boils down to plain ol' situational awareness and not doing stupid shit like mashing taunt when you're already on top of the aggro list.

Your position relative to the mob is meaningless for taunt other making sure you're close enough to physically taunt.
I recall an interesting snippet, around Dragons of Norrath time, during the era shield usefulness was being reviewed, particularly for warriors.

Apparently melee stuns were initially intended to generate similar aggro to spell stuns, but due to a bug this effect never actually worked. The mistake was never realised until the shield review. It would have made sword and board an effective method of tanking from vanilla release, but by 15 years of EQ and the game evolving around the broken mechanic, it was a bit too late to fix.

I generally taunt then kick. I find if the kick misses then the taunt is likely to fail too (out of range or whatever). I don't bother with disarm / beg / etc. As far as I can tell, disarm and (crit fail) beg will add you to the hate list, but don't actually add any points of hatred.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:22 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Naethyn is a true god of warriors. ^^^
Most of what you quoted was bullshit.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 06-24-2017, 06:38 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
kick (stun or otherwise), bash, and slam provide VERY minimal threat. Anything is better than nothing, but kick-stun does not really generate much hate and shouldn't be assumed to do so.

Not counting consumables or charged items, as a warrior you basically rely on haste, weapon ratio, and weapon proc. The first two are directly under your control while the last is a matter of choosing your weapons (and dexterity on gear) wisely, and straight up luck.

The only skill boils down to plain ol' situational awareness and not doing stupid shit like mashing taunt when you're already on top of the aggro list.

Your position relative to the mob is meaningless for taunt other making sure you're close enough to physically taunt.
This is more or less what we've found in some tests we've done.

To add to it, kick, regardless of stun or not, generates 10 hate. Not much to write home about. I suspect slam and bash are similar, though briefs and I didn't check.

Some other things we found: 150 cap on initial threat (getting added to hate list), and riposte doesn't seem to generate threat (iirc)

Distance doesn't play any role in threat generation or taunt (other than being within range) from what I've seen in our testing though we never specifically controlled for it. Wouldn't mind running a few parses if someone wanted to check out the distance claims and finalize bash/slam.
Last edited by khanable; 06-24-2017 at 06:50 AM..
Old 06-24-2017, 08:02 AM
Planar Protector

I second that point on ripostes, the number of times there's been an over pull, I hit riposte disc thinking I'll save the day by dropping a bunch of hits to build a chunk of aggro on all the mobs, only to have them all run off after receiving a small heal. It makes me also believe riposte hits don't add aggro (at least through the disc, if not generally).
Old 06-24-2017, 10:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I hit riposte disc thinking I'll save the day by dropping a bunch of hits to build a chunk of aggro on all the mobs, only to have them all run off after receiving a small heal.
coldain beard!
Old 06-24-2017, 10:47 AM
Planar Protector

There's no need for further tests Cucumbers [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

This game is 18 years old and these aren't exactly complicated topics. I'm always amazed that raid geared tanks on this server (one within this thread) still believe stuff like "bloodpoints are good aggro" and "standing closer makes taunt work better".

Game mechanics are quite simple for eq ... but there's beauty in that simplicity [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 06-24-2017, 11:23 AM
Fire Giant

The closer you are the better chance you have to have aggro.

Blood points are 200 aggro not 160 or less.

There are advantages to not being an ogre.

Archery is useful.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:59 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanable [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
coldain beard!
Jim is a follower of RZ and giantpal, so that is actually a pretty sweet suggestion, thanks!! thanks!
Closed Thread