Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 11:48 AM
Planar Protector

Comparing WoW to EQ is largely pointless. Warcraft was on the order six to eight times more popular than EQ even in EQ's home market (North America), and the former also had international appeal that EQ mostly lacked. EQ (and to a lesser extent Ultima before it) demonstrated the potential of the MMOG market, but it was Warcraft which tapped that potential.

That being said, I can definitely compare wow-classic of 2019 to Warcraft of late 2004/early 2005, and in that case the modern product falls far short. Today's product is warcraft-lite.....a thinned-down decaf product for folks who only want to dabble or who couldn't handle the real deal. Yuck. I wanted the real thing, didn't get it, so I elected not to settle for a half-measure.

Danth
Old 09-26-2019, 12:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if your post is longer then a few sentences kids with no attention span are not going to read it, also he probably posted that then logged right into wow.
I fixed this for you.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundumbwing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm personally leaning towards you just seem to be biased towards EQ so much it's blinding you.
When someone posts their personal opinion about why they enjoy or don't enjoy a certain thing, and then someone else jumps in to correct inaccuracies and make personal attacks about that person being blinded and biased, any further replies probably won't go so well due to the obvious emotional investment. Still, I'm a glutton like that.

So first, there are a hundred add-ons that make a ton of aspects of the game trivial. These are all legal and approved by Blizzard, which controls the API necessary to run them, so like it or not they are all part of the Classic experience as they are presenting it to you. I know for a fact that it's not optional to run certain add-ons if you want to do raids, and everyone I know who PvPs runs the Spy add-on which tells you the name, class, and level range of all enemies in range. I mean yeah, you could not use these add-on's but "that would be your decision to do something that silly." For you to compare GINA and custom interfaces to something like Atlas or Domino or Questy is either disingenuous or reveals unfamiliarity with the tech. I don't remember GINA giving me a linked and labelled raid instance map with all the drops and bosses sorted, or holding my hand through every step of the quest showing me the locations of the spawns I need to kill.

I'm sorry you took my 10 second spawn comment literally. Outside of places like the Oasis, the vast majority of camps and leveling spots in EQ are indoors, where the spawn timer is like 25 minutes. That means you can pull the area and adjacent ones, then you have a little downtime so you can rest and socialize. In WoW there is no downtime. No time to talk, to emote, to dance, to hang out. It's just go go go go. If you like that, fine, for me it makes me anxious because if I'm ready to fight and I'm not fighting, then what's going on? My point is that WoW is overrun with mobs, there is no downtime, and the pace much faster than EQ in literally every single aspect of the game.

I'm not sure what to make of your comment about a warrior leveling fine with potions and bandages. I submit it's impossible. I mean in WoW when I get to 20% health I pop a Hamstring on their ass and then strafe away laughing and they stop chasing after 5 seconds. In EQ my warrior dies and I eat the exp loss. I would love to hear a story of someone in EQ who leveled a warrior solo to 60 without going mad, but I don't think such a unicorn exists.

The zones in WoW are indeed bigger, and there are more of them! Which is why it's super awesome you only have to get to each town once on foot. All that running, amirite? Once you've been there, you go to the f̶l̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶m̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶* airport and you choose your flight, each one with a super-saver fare too, and you're off on a wonderful plane that never crashes or runs out of fuel or is even late. Now that's service! There are I think 34 airports like that? Let's hear it for those big zones!

So anyway, I hope I have successfully countered your claims I was inaccurate in any way. The rest of your comments were sort of like "well I wouldn't play like that" which is fair but moot.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:14 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if your post is longer then a few sentences no one is going to read it, also he probably posted that then logged right into wow.

( Thats the type of terds that play blue or wow classic )
I read every single post, and appreciated them all! I've decided on Green99, thanks to everyone who replied. See you all there!

Unsure if I will return to my tunnel rat ways, but I hope to do more giveaways and such if I do amass another fortune.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:28 AM
Banned

WelcoMe homE
Old 09-27-2019, 08:31 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagglebaron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I read every single post, and appreciated them all! I've decided on Green99, thanks to everyone who replied. See you all there!
Woo hoo! Glad you made this decision, fellow Norrathian! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread