Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:56 PM
Sarnak

Default Sci-Fi

how come sci fi is dead? i google searched "why no more sci-fi". and i got a bunch of links to people who are excited about new tv shows involving zombies, vampires, detectives, and a bunch of other non-interesting crap. there was a list of 18 upcoming sci tv shows. http://io9.com/5476760/18-upcoming-t...l+screen-scifi and its funny because not one of them is involved with being in space or even a space ship. its freaking ridiculous. im sick of watching re runs of star trek, bablyon 5, firefly, stargates. sci fi is dead [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-03-2012, 09:10 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithel1988 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
how come sci fi is dead? i google searched "why no more sci-fi". and i got a bunch of links to people who are excited about new tv shows involving zombies, vampires, detectives, and a bunch of other non-interesting crap. there was a list of 18 upcoming sci tv shows. http://io9.com/5476760/18-upcoming-t...l+screen-scifi and its funny because not one of them is involved with being in space or even a space ship. its freaking ridiculous. im sick of watching re runs of star trek, bablyon 5, firefly, stargates. sci fi is dead [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It is now SyFy. http://www.syfy.com/

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]/

Asher
Old 05-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Sarnak

the first thing that i saw when i clicked that link was steve eirkel or whatever from dancing with the stars. sad..............
Old 05-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Sarnak

and i dont wanna watch guys make money by turning on their night vision camera and being scared of small noises(ghost hunters)
Old 05-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Sarnak

and when terra nova got cancelled i was so pissed. who cares about its flaws. it was still the newest best tv show i could find. "o but theres drama, blah blah blah" well what the fuck else out there is better? eureka? HAHAHAHAHA warehouse 13? OMGHAHAHAHA alcatraz? HAHAHAHA. VAMPIRE DIARIES? give me a break man.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:07 AM
Sarnak

if terra nova is awful. then every other sci fi show on tv is SUPER-awful. unless you like vampire diaries
Old 05-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Aviak

While I don't neccessarily think science fiction has to mean space fiction, I do agree that there is a general drought in television programming at the moment. Thank god for AMC, HBO, and Showtime...the only channels with interesting shows.

If I see one more 'So-You-Think-You-Can-Dance-With-The-Stars-And-Have-The-Voice-Of-An-American-Idol" crap reality show I think I'll just unplug the television and stick to streaming video on netflix.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:28 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithel1988 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
and i dont wanna watch guys make money by turning on their night vision camera and being scared of small noises(ghost hunters)
ZOMG this +1 gazillion. Hate that shit.

Plenty of things can lend themselves to being the downfall of good sci-fi. The advent of so called "reality TV" is what I will pick on here though. The masses have been dumbed down in recent years, and since there is a certain stigma of intelligence attached to the viewership of science fiction, programming is created to appeal to the lowest common denominator. We are moving away from the cerebral, and moving toward the low-brow. Sad.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:51 PM
Project Manager

I too have found a severe lack of scifi. :T

I'm not aware of any upcoming tv series, but Prometheus looks watchable for movies. Ridley Scott/Aliens feel. June 1st release.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1byZkbNB3Jw" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
Old 05-21-2012, 04:10 PM
Planar Protector

So there's no more sci-fi channel?
I haven't watched cable in forever. Though I do remember some terrible movies from that channel.
I also remember watching Firefly, Farscape, and a few others on there.
Chiana = yummy.