Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 06-02-2012, 10:11 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to toddfx
Default Titanium should run on Windows98, but won't

So I just finished building this Win98 old-school gaming rig complete with 3DFX Voodoo2 3D acceleration, and would absolutely love to get P99 running on it. I have been wanting to make a return to P99 as well (it has been about a year), and this is the perfect opportunity.

However, even though the official Titanium specs list as being compatible with Windows 98, the game will not launch. It installed just fine, but get this error when I go to launch it: [screenshot]

I have DirectX 9.0c which meets the specifications as well, and also installed all Windows 98 SE updates.

Has anybody had any luck getting it to run in Win98? Seems like it should, considering the specs say so. I'm not sure what else to try.

Thanks guys!

TLDR edit 7/17/12:
Long story short, the version of DSETUP.DLL supplied by the P99 patch is of a newer version than is compatible with Windows98. However, Titanium DOES natively support Windows 98, so I am looking for a workaround to get P99 running as expected on my old-school gaming rig.
Last edited by toddfx; 07-17-2012 at 02:15 PM..
Old 06-02-2012, 11:10 PM
Sarnak

Haha ok so I guess the issue was that I had DX 8.1 installed at the time of installing EQ. All I had to do was copy the new DSETUP.dll from DX9.0c into the EQ directory, and it launches fine now.

However I am having another issue now. I have installed the P99 patch version 22, but I still keep getting the spell file is outdated error at the character screen. I attempted to download and install the new EQEmuLauncher, but am now getting the SAME error as before but this time concerning MSCOREE.DLL.

I downloaded a couple of different versions of this DLL from various site, but keep getting the same "expects a newer version" error concerning the file when I try to install the new EQEmuLauncher.

Do you know if the EQEmuLauncher is incompatible with Win98? Or why my spell file still says outdated, even after installing patch v22 multiple times? I am trying to play on the Blue server.

I have skipped a bunch of old versions of the patch since this is a fresh install. But shouldn't V22 include everything necessary?
Last edited by toddfx; 06-02-2012 at 11:14 PM..
Old 06-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Sarnak

Ok crap, I am guessing the problem I am having still has to do with DSETUP.DLL. The one that comes with eqchangesv22 does not allow the game to launch in Windows98. It will only launch if I copy the specific one that came with DirectX 9.0c, but if I do that, I then get the "spell files out of date" message at character selection.

Is there any way around this? I'm feeling a little out of luck now [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by toddfx; 07-18-2012 at 12:40 PM..
Old 06-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Sarnak

What kind of changes were made to DSETUP.DLL to make it P99 specific? I am assuming the version of the file being distributed in the P99 patches is geared for DirectX 11?

What are the chances of having one compiled for 9.0c? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I have had some experience manipulating DLLs using Resource Hacker. Are the changes something simple enough that I, or some willing fellow, would be able to make?

Or, anybody have any other ideas what the issue here could be?

Thanks a lot guys, functional Everquest on Project1999 would be the icing on the cake for this collection:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Aviak

Can't help you with your problems man, but DAMN that's a sweet collection [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[11 Bard] Fappn

[Sun Mar 10 21:52:52 2013] Merkk's spell fizzles!
Old 07-17-2012, 02:06 PM
Sarnak

Nobody with any thoughts on this?

I totally understand that Windows 98 support issues is not exactly high priority.

However since P99 apparently relys on a non-Win98 compatible version of DSETUP.DLL, can we pretty much say P99 is distinctively NOT Windows 98 compatible? If so, this should probably be noted somewhere, since the client we are using, Titanium, DOES natively support Win98.

I am just interested to know what custom changes are being made to the file DSETUP.DLL in the patches to make it P99 specific, and how much I would have to pay somebody (and I will gladly) to make those same changes to an older, Win98, compatible version of the file (which I can supply) [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by toddfx; 07-17-2012 at 02:09 PM..
Old 07-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Sarnak

I have the SAME issues with the dsetup.dll, except on a vista7. I've also tried compatibility modes for XP, ME, whatever. So if you get a fix, I'm in the same boat as ya.