Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 05:29 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle
Default Software to speed up internet?

The title may seem a bit ignorant, but I was wondering if there was a software method to increase the flow of download speeds. I currently have comcasts blast! package which includes 50mbps download speeds.

I understand there are network cards to improve network performance, can anyone vouch for their usefulness? I have the asus maximus ROG hero motherboard so thats the ethernet connector I'm currently using.

I'm not complaining about my current download speeds, but if I could 'turbocharge' them if there's a software that can funnel it to a more rapid speed that would be cool.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:18 PM
Aviak

I use cfos speed, and have it set to speed up ping times (but also has a setting to increase download speeds instead). Your mileage may vary but I have been happy with cfos speed for a long time now.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:55 PM
Aviak

What exactly are you trying to download faster? Just files from websites? If so try:

http://freedownloadmanager.org/

Also, keep in mind that even though you have 50mbps download speed the source you are downloading from must have adequate upstream bandwidth be able to transfer at those rates.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:58 PM
Sarnak

i stream 1080p movies fine. thats fast enough for me. It also only took me 20 mins to download my BACKUP copy of eq titanium from the bay area.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:21 PM
Sarnak

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The title may seem a bit ignorant, but I was wondering if there was a software method to increase the flow of download speeds. I currently have comcasts blast! package which includes 50mbps download speeds.

I understand there are network cards to improve network performance, can anyone vouch for their usefulness? I have the asus maximus ROG hero motherboard so thats the ethernet connector I'm currently using.

I'm not complaining about my current download speeds, but if I could 'turbocharge' them if there's a software that can funnel it to a more rapid speed that would be cool.
Hate to break it to you, but that BLAST! service is a con, they only speed up the first couple of MB, thats right just a couple MB of the file to those speeds. This service also only works for certain types of traffic, streaming video/audio is not one of them. Mostly hyper-text, pictures(stuff that downloads instantly anyways with 15mbs+ speeds on it's own), and this is the big one ADVERTISEMENTS!

That's right Comcast is charging you for a service that literally does nothing but deliver advertisements faster to your web experience! Call Comcast right now and demand they take off the service, then demand a prorate on your account because you didn't realize the rep lied and told you it speeds up everything. It's in the fine print if you can find it (I tried but gave up after a couple of minutes, it is buried somewhere).

*** Having said all that I now realize the "Blast" service is something new, and may vary from the described service above. I had been hit with a surcharge on account for a "Blast" type service that guarenteed increased rates but was with those major caveats. This "Blast" seems to be an evolution of that product and they may have changed the terms. I would still check it out and find out if speeds are available to all types of data/exchange ( I still bet it doesn't ) and for how long, Entire connection or only up to certain size? ( I still bet it's capped)
Last edited by BlkCamel; 06-04-2014 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: *** New Info
Old 06-05-2014, 09:16 AM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle

I've never disconnected from a game while using it, and in average 2-3megabytes per second when I download large game files, was just curious if I could get it even faster. And Comcast is going to vary from state to state on quality from what I've seen.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:12 AM
Sarnak

yah have comcast in Virginia and they are great. I dont have the blast service from them, and they are still fast. I dont even live near a major city. Richmond is two hours north west of me.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:47 AM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordbard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the source you are downloading from must have adequate upstream bandwidth be able to transfer at those rates.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:50 PM
Kobold

Firefox+DownThemAll. Works for me.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:45 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've never disconnected from a game while using it, and in average 2-3megabytes per second when I download large game files, was just curious if I could get it even faster. And Comcast is going to vary from state to state on quality from what I've seen.
Watch your bytes and bits.

1 byte = 8 bits meaning 2-3 megaBYTES per second equates to 16-24 megaBITS per second. Normally ISPs advertise their internet speed in BITS while I believe Windows displays transfer rates in BYTES. So this means a 50mbps download speed would allow you to transfer up to 6.25 megaBYTES per second as a theoretical maximum.

Also, when looking at the `MBPS` acronym a capital `B` indicates BYTES while a lowercase `b `is BITS. Or at least this is how it should be.
Closed Thread