Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 05:59 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was like 12 or 13, and didn't have a grasp on morals yet.
Are you saying you did not know stealing is wrong at 12 years of age? GTFO
Last edited by Wudan; 04-22-2014 at 06:06 AM..
Old 04-22-2014, 07:57 AM
Sarnak

I didn't see any posts where someone killed another person and took a quest item off them.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:20 AM
Aviak

Well, this was actually a RL friend of mine. I was using his SK to help my Monk level up in Highkeep. I took his SK and ran to the bank when all was said and done and FD'd in front while I went to grab some food and run some errands. I forgot he was logged in and didn't realize that his FD failed. He was bound at the bank in Highkeep, so needless to say, Bosec taught him a thing or two, for about 5 hours, while I left his character afk at the bank.

He lost a lot of levels that day...I felt terrible. Fortunately he got some rezzes and everything was ok, but I still felt terrible.

Bonus: Also with the same friend. I was running around in Plane of Fear with my monk and died. Had to have him help me get my corpse back. This was when Gate Potions existed so not sure the time frame, but long story short, I got my corpse back and was able to gate back, while he got agro and died. Took a few more attempts to finally get his corpse back and both of us gated out. Another fun misadventure.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:22 AM
Sarnak

We were on Rallos Zek and we had anti-pk mains and ran a guild of PK's as secret alts. Two things to apologize for.

1) We would join a c2/c3 caster and port them to gfay and then bind them at the gfay spires so that when we attacked them and they gated we just waited right there and took their plat.

2) There was a period of time in the game where if you had a weapon and an empty inventory spot not filled with a bag or otherwise and you disarmed them it would go into the inventory and you could loot the weapon. We ran a group of bard/enchanter/rogue/sk and we would keep a target blinded indefinitely but not kill them until we got the disarm to work. We took somebody's nirandi's lance etc doing this. You should have heard the flames we got about being hackers etc.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:52 AM
Fire Giant

My first go through on this game I was a pretty bad exploiter. I didn't duplicate platinum or harm the economy, I just found ways to dick people over where there was no recourse. I'll share my favorite.

You may all remember in WFP the big red building right through the gate. Pretty much everyone does, because you have to walk past it to get from EC to to the NFP bank.

I used to take my wizard, levitate, and then spam my staff of temperate flux on a bunch of guards, and the two monk guildmasters. Using z-axis as a barrier, I would float from wall-to-wall, rooftop-to-rooftop, until I was at that big red building.

At this point, NPCs couldn't scale the top of the building, for whatever reason. The end result is a pile of NPCs basically staring at you but no way to actually do anything. Here's where it got fun - I'd hide all the NPCs in the back corner so someone coming in from EC wouldn't be able to see them.

You send cleric_01, "Hey dude, can I get a buff?"

Cleric_01 begins to cast a spell...

Reyia Beslin flying kicks Cleric_01 for 500 points of damage
Guard XYZ hits Cleric_01 for 120 points of damage

You get the point. I would basically bait friendly level 60s into giving me a buff, which would then transfer aggro to them, and they would get stomped.

My favorite was a warrior. He had cobalt gauntlets, and I told him that I was stuck on the roof and needed a STR buff. Poor dude clicked his gauntlets on me and got his face pushed in. Of course the worst was when I had been doing this for a solid hour and a cleric showed up to rez the dead. She saw me on top and asked me what was going on... "I don't know, but could I get a buff?" You know the rest.

Me and two buddies would do this every weekend. That account was eventually banned. I'm sorry, people whose name I can't remember. I can't promise I wouldn't ever do it again if it was possible, though.
Scientist - 37 ROG
Old 04-22-2014, 12:01 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by August [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My first go through on this game I was a pretty bad exploiter. I didn't duplicate platinum or harm the economy, I just found ways to dick people over where there was no recourse. I'll share my favorite.

You may all remember in WFP the big red building right through the gate. Pretty much everyone does, because you have to walk past it to get from EC to to the NFP bank.

I used to take my wizard, levitate, and then spam my staff of temperate flux on a bunch of guards, and the two monk guildmasters. Using z-axis as a barrier, I would float from wall-to-wall, rooftop-to-rooftop, until I was at that big red building.

At this point, NPCs couldn't scale the top of the building, for whatever reason. The end result is a pile of NPCs basically staring at you but no way to actually do anything. Here's where it got fun - I'd hide all the NPCs in the back corner so someone coming in from EC wouldn't be able to see them.

You get the point. I would basically bait friendly level 60s into giving me a buff, which would then transfer aggro to them, and they would get stomped.

My favorite was a warrior. He had cobalt gauntlets, and I told him that I was stuck on the roof and needed a STR buff. Poor dude clicked his gauntlets on me and got his face pushed in. Of course the worst was when I had been doing this for a solid hour and a cleric showed up to rez the dead. She saw me on top and asked me what was going on... "I don't know, but could I get a buff?" You know the rest.

Me and two buddies would do this every weekend. That account was eventually banned. I'm sorry, people whose name I can't remember. I can't promise I wouldn't ever do it again if it was possible, though.
This is brilliantly evil. I can't think of anything I've done to anyone. I was too nice and had bad things happen to me more often. I remember this guy trying to KS my epic barracuda spawn that I had been camping for about 5 days. Thankfully I won, but the nerve of that guy!
Old 04-22-2014, 12:07 PM
Banned

I used to play with ~7 school friends. The last one to join us started playing EQ about half way into Kunark. He was well behind on the level & money curve at that point, and was really eager to catch up. His initial goal was to do the day trader thing in EC, and slowly work his way up in gear, and then level his monk with good gear.

One of our other friends had a fungi, and let us use it while he was on vacation for a few weeks. After experience this power, my friend that was new to EQ became dead set on obtaining a fungi before taking his main, a level 10 monk, any further (lol).

I pointed out to my friend that the fungi tunic and cloth tunics have the same graphic in the inventory... and he took it from there.

He went to EC and /auction'd that he had a fungi to sell. Of course, people were interested in making the trade. So my friend would initially put the borrowed fungi in the trade window, let the other person put a mountain of plat, and then he'd hit cancel and say "oops sorry". He'd then proceed to place the cloth tunic in as scam (note: this was before the time of chat notifications about what has been offered in a trade). Of course, he got caught multiple times and was constantly re-rolling banker alts to escape his other alts reputation. On about the 8th attempt, he was successful in scamming somebody out of a ton of plat for a cloth tunic. A few days later, his level 10 main had a fungi of his own! The person he scammed completely lost it in EC shout and I truly felt sorry for him, but the GMs never reversed the trade because it was his fault for being scammed so blatantly.

So, sorry to whomever my friend scammed!
Old 04-22-2014, 12:20 PM
Banned

Another one:

There used to be a room in Ak'Anon that would bug out and "root" npc's for you. You could pull lots of gnomes and just run to this back corner; when the gnomes arrived they'd enter the room and immediately come to a dead stop, well outside of melee range. You could then sit there and AOE or single target DD them down with impunity. I found this by accidentally agroing a gnome on my enchanter - I ran a bit to get a lead and was then going to cast gate at the back of the room... but the mob stopped!

I "needed" the exploit for one last day, and then I'd of out-leveled its usefulness. When I got there on that Saturday morning, I found a druid already using MY sploit! I made a newbie gnome and petitioned him. A few minutes later a GM showed up, thanked me for petitioning the exploit, and then suspended him for 2 weeks.

I waited a little while and then exploited the spot all day =p

edit: Oh ya, sorry for petitioning *you* to use the exploit myself!
Last edited by sanforce; 04-22-2014 at 12:24 PM..
Old 04-22-2014, 12:56 PM
Aviak

Back in 2001-2002 or so when I was around 14 and towards the end of playing EQ seriously. I went through all the server forums and searched for people who posted their yahoo email. Then I would compile a list of those emails and use a cracker to gain access to their yahoo accounts. I would figure out their birthday through other accounts linked to their email and use for the forgot password option on the station website. Thus accessing their Everquest accounts. Although many used the same password and similar usernames for EQ.

All of the accounts I gained access to were lvl 60's. Many of them had fungi's and top items etc. Some of the accounts I did nothing with. A few I think I stripped sold stuff and then traded for items/pp or accounts on other servers to leave no trail of myself on that specific server.

One interesting experience happened because of this. A woman messaged me when I was on her main character. She was part of one of the top guilds on the server. She actually genuinely thanked me for gaining access to her account. She said that she had been addicted to EQ for a long time and by having her account taken away. Made her step back and look at her life and decided to make changes. I never did anything with her character and I think eventually she got it back because I lost interest or I may have given it back. Hard to remember everything.

Web security was not great back then. Basically I would leave the website open to the page where you can change your password for the account. Then I would open EQ login and see if customer service changed the password and many times they did even when I was on the character. All I would do is change it again via their website that I already had open. The lady remarked to me that customer service didn't understand how I kept changing it over and over. Which I was surprised that method even worked at all considering how simple it was.

I'm pretty sure everyone was reimbursed eventually since I only did this for a short time period and I didn't try to keep up with all the accounts I had access to. As well as losing interest in playing EQ.

I would never do that today and I understand how much time people put into their characters. I never did anything like that after those incidents either. Most of the time I give away stuff now to compensate.
Last edited by blanks77; 04-22-2014 at 01:12 PM..
Old 04-22-2014, 01:34 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I played a wizard on rallos zek. One day I met a warrior who was lfg and we spent part of the day killing aviaks together. I waited until he was low on health, blasted him, and took his skull shaped barbute. I think his name was Ramirez.

Sorry brah I was like 13 years old
Quote:
Originally Posted by August [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

These posts make me so happy