Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 07:55 AM
Aviak

Default Just Started a SK - Tank gearing question!

So I just began a Shadow Knight - Got to level 3 or so before logging last night.

Shes a total twink, wearing cloth armor and a Bronze 2handed sword (I love how they look!) -

Tanks are probably the most gear-dependent classes, especially early on when your nakky. I always feel quite guilty and inefficient if I am tanking for a group such as orcs/dervs with no "visible" armor and low AC - Like pets can do a better job at that point.

I used to check vendors for people who have sold Small Bronze to vendors, etc. - Is this how most people gear up their tanks for the low level who don't yet have access to resources? If so, what are the best area's /ways to attain a basic set of cheap starter armor (be it banded/bronze)? for being able to group tank in the low levels? -

I'm in the Freeport area for leveling!

I've considered leveling up a caster to "gear up" the melee character but just decided to stop at lvl 19 on my necromancer and level a tank class because its what I played in EQ Live and is in demand/more enjoyable to me right now.

Thanks.
Last edited by Loretta; 03-31-2010 at 08:03 AM..
Old 03-31-2010, 08:04 AM
Planar Protector

I'd probably say at that level you'd be worth taking up tailoring, any ruined pelt and be turned into patchwork armour, better than cloth, and cheap too.

After that once you get a bit more money (farming things that other people need for tradeskills but can't be bothered to farm themselves is a good way) you should probably be looking to hire a smith to make you some banded armour (get reasonable rates on most pieces i think)

Just remember to focus more on levelling than gear, the higher you get the quicker you'll be able to loot useful gear from the camps you're actually at.

Saying that you could probably get a group with your necro, at say uguk scryer group, if you win the bracelet or shield and end up selling it for 100p or so, that's a full suit of banded right there.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:06 AM
Planar Protector

since you are around FP go to the bank and start auctioning (1pp/ac on bronze) or, if you are in a hurry, check the nearby NPC-vendors at bank, they are mostly fully stocked on bronze armor (~2pp/ac)
Old 03-31-2010, 08:34 AM
Planar Protector

Lavastorm vendors are usually packing with bronze. Folks come outta solb with oodles of pieces and feed em to the gypsies.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Large Bat

So, since you specifically mention your SK is wearing cloth and wielding a bronze two hander, I will assume you have little to no funds and take it from there.

First thing is first. Get a fine steel weapon. This can be acquired by kindly asking any of the high level guard campers in west freeport to part with one of the ones they loot while slaying the militia for hours on end. Don't be pushy or bothersome, just ask kindly in /tell. The worst they can say is "no", and you can move on with your day.

Secondly, spend an hour or so acquiring bone chips. At 5pp a stack to players you can outfit yourself with at least an entire set of visible leather for 2-3 stacks. This may have occured to you already as you played a necro. Don't worry about saving many bone chips for yourself. From lvl 9-18 I MIGHT have used 2 stacks summoning sk pets, but I seriously doubt it.

When you get into the inevitable orc group, save and sell all deathfist belts for 2pp each, this will help bolster your bank for your upgrade to Banded ...

... which brings me to the next point. Unless you are a fatty (i.e. ogre or troll) You probably won't have enough Str to equip bronze armor for a while. Banded is cheaper and lighter. The chest is your first priority, followed by the legs or head, then the bracers. These are your largest ac upgrades from cloth/leather.

/tell to Badtouch when i'm online will get your a spare small banded chest that I have in my bank.

Have fun.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Planar Protector

As stated before, don't concentrate too much on gear early on. EXP above all.
The quicker you level, the more quickly you will earn funds and will have more money to purchase items with later on or just camp mobs yourself.

This applies even to those that prefer questing. You still need to at least level up to a point where you will be able to finish said quests before anything else.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Aviak

Thanx for the advice everyone.

I will see if i can catch you online next time I play, Badtouch.

I think the leather ideas a good one - Banded works good too. I made my SK a inkie which means, 80 str (I put 10 into stamina and str to balance the two)

Also checked lavastorm vendors last night but didnt have any luck there finding useful gear - [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] maybe just caught the gypsies at a bad time! I do agree that exp > all to some extent, but soloing isnt the best method of getting exp, my predicament is I dont want to be a fail-tank in a orc group/derv group etc. so farming chips + plat to get to the point im actually decent is not such a bad idea.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by guineapig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As stated before, don't concentrate too much on gear early on. EXP above all.
i have to veto, without gear and therefore with low ac he would be a mana sponge for any healer already at lvl 5
Old 04-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Large Bat

Partially true, but it's not like you can't solo at lvl 5 even without gear.

If you don't want to be a complete mana sponge, get Banded, get ac or hp jewelry for ears and rings, get a decent weapon (i.e. Fine Steel or better), then go to town on some monster behind.

I was tanking croc groups in oasis at lvl 11 with a mix of banded and leather and a parrying dagger. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I think you'll be fine with some banded and a two hander.
Closed Thread