Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 02:14 PM
Planar Protector

This server, game, is what You put into it. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] If you want to just goof off, well goof off, if you want to be the best, say damned Monk on here, then go for it. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The rewards are up to you, not given to you, by the game like a Lot of MMO's are out there. That is the draw on this server, you get what you want to put into it. Nothing is given on here, other than maybe someone might give you gear, and advice.

So I think you will like it a lot, because if you want to go for the "brass ring", you can get on here if you put in the effort, and learn your class well. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-02-2015, 03:10 PM
Kobold

If you like super difficult game-play and now with forced super-blocky crappy minecraft graphics, you'll love it!
Moollah Muckwater, Swamp Hag, 4th Eye of Fear
Old 08-02-2015, 03:38 PM
Skeleton

I forced my buddy to have a 6 hour session because he had never played and thought it was lame. He got hooked and stuck with it long enought to get some end game loots. He had never played an mmo before and loved the game.

I think a good ui would really help. Pm if u want me to send u one.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:41 PM
Skeleton

Be very careful of getting banned. If u break any rules they will catch u and ban u. If u dont break any rules they might catch u (in their minds) and ban u. Seriously dont play with these gm's. Run or log off if they in same zone as u. 1 time i got banned sitting in ec. It was lifted 2 weeks later cause i petitioned and they said they dont have any record of it and didnt know why it happened.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:29 AM
Kobold

Honestly, EQ1 is still to this day my most favorite game; period. I spent one too many hours on it growing up as a young teenager. I obviously had no nostalgic ties back then to it, and I had played UO; so it wasn't my first MMO, but still stands to be my favorite.

Even when EQ2 came out, we flocked back to EQ1 unfortunately. The experiences I recall then, as far as socializing and the kindness of others; is here as well. There is no shortage of people, and this is ultimately the closest experience you will have to the original EQ.

If wouldn't ever want to erase my EQ1 memories, but I've played every game on the market in hopes of finding something close to them, but I haven't; hence I am back to EQ, and I much prefer pre-Luclin EQ than the Live servers.

Brunzil / Zulzephur of Tarew Marr - Drinal
Brunzil of Rallos Zek - Zek
Old 08-03-2015, 07:04 AM
Banned

I think most gamers don't even want to give p1999 a chance because it seems so old and funky in some ways. But once you get over some UI inconveniences, there are things this game offers that modern games don't. Community, an actual sense of accomplishment when you level/get items, and an immersive environment.

One thing you have to be aware of, is EQ is slow. To enjoy this server, you have to play it for the long hall IMO. If you can't get over the fact you might not be leveling fast or upgrading gear constantly, you are probably signing up for a bad time. It also isn't always as interactive as --for example -- WoW. If you level for 4 hours, there will be plenty of time to get up and stretch, read the wiki and forums, and do all kinds of other undemanding tasks. I personally like listening to radio and books on tape when camping things solo. However, if you like that constant action of modern games, EQ could seem boring in contrast. In EQ, knowledge of the game will take you much further than twitch skill.

In short, if you are impatient because modern games aren't interactive enough, stay away. But if you are impatient of everyone acting like a self-absorbed teenager, the server might be for you.
Last edited by JurisDictum; 08-03-2015 at 07:07 AM..
Old 08-03-2015, 10:52 AM
Fire Giant

I didnt start playing EQ until 2008. Now, i wont even touch live and stick to p99.
When it comes down to it, Nostalgia is only one thing, but its not the thing that made EQ.
The early years of EQ are just, badass. However, Nostalgia is what brings in most p99 players (50-60% at least) because they actually know how to get or have a copy of titanium aswell as simply knowing what EQ is.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:15 PM
Large Rat

It depends on what you are looking for. I played EQ1 back when kunark first came out, I was in middle school at the time. I still remember my older brother coming home and explaining the concept to me: a game where you can do ANYTHING. You start out with NOTHING but a little butterknife of a dagger/shortsword and no guidance except a little note in your inventory telling you to go talk to some guy. Everything from there is up to you. Yea the graphics suck. Yea dying sucks worse than anything I have ever experienced in any other game. The very first character I created was a iksar necromancer. My brother twinked me out and gave me a bunch of higher level gear to get me started. I promptly ran into the sewers beneath cabalis, died to a level 2 scorpian, and lost everything. My brother was so pissed at me he never gave me anything again until i was like level 30. But the brutal consequences of failure are exactly what make success so rewarding. This game does not hold your hand. Like life itself, everything is out to get you, and the only things you can depend on are yourself and your friends.

In most modern MMO's there is practically no consequence to dying, getting lost, or making any other of a whole host of stupid decisions. You have a minimap which automatically displays objectives. You are literally led by the nose from one point to the next. As a result of nothing being difficult, nothing is rewarding either. Every victory is hollow because it was handed to you. You will never feel like that with p99. Some people love it. Some people can't handle it. Some just aren't patient enough to even try.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:14 PM
Large Rat

I think you already answered your question. If you're having this much difficulty to know if you want to try more of it then you're probably going to quit sooner than later. P99 ran like shit for me when I first set it up but I instantly search up DUXA, UI improvements, and other tweaks to make it better. It seems like you don't even want to go through that trouble. To be honest, MMORPG might just not be for you from the sounds of it. Its a very basic formula.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:29 AM
Sarnak

EQ, specially P99, is the best mmo, hands down. Close second would be Dark Age Of Camelot, but P99 is the best. I've played them all: tera, rift, aion, daoc, eq live, runescape(lol) and many more. I did play eq in classic, but I was probably 10 years old and never did much beyond grouping and making lots of characters. The thing that is so great about eq is that making achievements are very rewarding and satisfying. The quests can be long and arduous, but the rewards are generally great, even if it is just one piece of gear. Nothing will be handed to you here, it all has to be earned, and that is what makes it so rewarding. Furthermore, you choose the path/rewards you want to go after. Want to spend a week camping quest mobs just to get one item like boots that you can click to gain runspeed? Go do it. Want to spend that week grinding exp non-stop and get a level or two? Do it. Either option will have great rewards for your character. The more you learn about thw game the more options there will be for rewarding things to go do.

All in all the game is deep and complex. There is endless amounts of rewarding gameplay to be had. The social aspect is extremely important. Finding a good friend to group with and to help you with things will go a long way, and they will ask you for help as well which makes you feel important. The game will take plenty of patience at first, but overcoming those odds and eventually having a powerful character is awesome. Dying to rats helps your experience because one day you will be soloing giants and the contrast there really does make your character feel powerful/important.

As others have said, you can fix your fullscreen issues. You shouldnt have any issues there. Also, you can download custom UIs that are very nice to look at and are more helpful. Explore the options menu, alt+o and tweak things to your liking. Msg me in game any time if you need help.

Sorry about the formatting, on my phone.
Closed Thread