Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 12:32 PM
Orc

Default Anyone remember that EQ custom server Sony released?

Back in the day I remember Sony was offering a "Special" server that was something like $99 a month and was supposed to offer a "High-End" experience. It touted custom GM events, special loot drops tailored to the players, different raid events, etc...
I was always curious about it, but of course was not about to spend that kind of cash. I can't find a single mention of it on the net, nor do I remember the name the server had.

Anyone else remember this, or know anything about it?

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2014, 12:35 PM
Planar Protector

Stormhammer, the Legends server.

It was a joke and shut down shortly after it launched.
Last edited by Byrjun; 11-12-2014 at 12:40 PM..
Old 11-12-2014, 12:39 PM
Orc

That's it! Thanks! What was it's downfall? Didn't deliver?
Old 11-12-2014, 12:40 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATPHAT [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Back in the day I remember Sony was offering a "Special" server that was something like $99 a month and was supposed to offer a "High-End" experience. It touted custom GM events, special loot drops tailored to the players, different raid events, etc...
I was always curious about it, but of course was not about to spend that kind of cash. I can't find a single mention of it on the net, nor do I remember the name the server had.

Anyone else remember this, or know anything about it?

Thanks!
It was 49.99 a month if I recall. It wasn't cheap, and they didn't do anything to really make it custom.

You could transfer characters to that server, and then back if you decided you didn't want to stay on it.

You could also rename your characters on that server, whereas you couldn't really do it on any of the other servers at that time.

Honestly, it was mostly used as a $50 fee to rename a character that was bought. People would buy the character, x-fer them to the server, rename the character, and transfer them back.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATPHAT [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's it! Thanks! What was it's downfall? Didn't deliver?
A few things:
  • Facilitated RMT. It was common to buy a character on eBay, transfer to Stormhammer, get a name change, then transfer off. GMs weren't really allowed to say no to a Legends subscriber so stuff like name changes was always granted.
  • Low population. Almost everyone transferred at level 65. The server was dead outside of raids. PUGing was nearly impossible. Some soloers liked having the entire world to themselves though.
  • Custom zone controversy. Legends subscribers were essentially paying to beta test zones like SolC and ChardokB, which were eventually released to the other servers. The only zone that was exclusive to Stormhammer was Marauder's Mire, which was just Erud's Crossing with different mobs.

The whole idea was just kinda ridiculous, but I'm sure it made SoE quite a bit of money.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:44 PM
Planar Protector

I remember a few guildies transferring over there, raiding a bit in a big guild (i dont remember what guild it was.... but they were well known), and then transferring back a few months (weeks?) later.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:46 PM
Orc

Found a link with some solid history on the server if anyone else cares to read.

http://afkgamer.com/archives/2005/12/12/legends/
Old 11-12-2014, 12:54 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I remember a few guildies transferring over there, raiding a bit in a big guild (i dont remember what guild it was.... but they were well known)
Township Rebellion, I'd guess.

Fizzlelina Fizzlezalot <Castle> :: Gnome Necromancer :: Green
Welgrim Stoutslammer <Dawn Believers> :: Dwarf Cleric :: Blue
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
Welgrim's Project 1999 files: https://p99.yourfirefly.com
Old 11-12-2014, 01:29 PM
Aviak

There are a few TR guys in this server. I transferred with a bunch of Vindi guys to TR on Stormhammer. Life priorities kept me from taking part in all the fun after the transfer. However, there was a ton of GM interaction on that server. They would spawn a raid mob for a guild to kill and if they could kill it they were put into that tier so they were given access to that raid content. It was really really controlled. In a good way though.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snizatcher [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are a few TR guys in this server. I transferred with a bunch of Vindi guys to TR on Stormhammer. Life priorities kept me from taking part in all the fun after the transfer. However, there was a ton of GM interaction on that server. They would spawn a raid mob for a guild to kill and if they could kill it they were put into that tier so they were given access to that raid content. It was really really controlled. In a good way though.
Yeah I remember that way also. And "guilty as charged" for the buying a account, changing name and coming back to Torvo. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I liked the server. There were some damn good players on it. Some of the best I ever seen. And you pretty much could always get into a pickup Raid. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread