Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 02-23-2012, 05:15 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomura [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Mordachai,

where did you enter that? In the *Target pathway under the shortcut Properties?

I have awful problems with my game, and I was suggested, lots of things, which still havent brought a solution, but when I tried doing something like that, a) something happened and I couldnt even start the game at all, but then b) something in the path I think I fixed, or was strange, and the cmd part seemed to work, but then I kept getting an error that the location cant be found or something. Any ideas?

Would love to not be perma snared/lagged.
Yes in the Target properties.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:44 AM
Sarnak

I had the slow movement problem when I first started but using win eq fixed everything.

Then today I had to do a system restore to a few weeks ago, now eq runs slow constantly. Its like a flipbook.

I've tried everything in this thread [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I dont get it.. it used to work and now no matter what I do its slow.

big fat fail
Old 04-21-2012, 05:14 PM
Skeleton

Default Overheating Issues

I have a relatively new Lenovo X220; I have the i5 2520 @2.5Ghz and 8 GB of RAM. While I've noticed the laptop gets warm under load with other games for some reason when running EQ Titanium my computer gets REALLY hot. After about an hour of continuous playing (no minimizing/alt+tabbing) the game slows to a crawl and I have to give my laptop a rest for a little while. Anyone else have strange heat issues when playing/any fixes?
Old 04-22-2012, 12:45 AM
Aviak

If you're having heat related problems with Titanium, I suggest setting the max frames per second lower. (ALT-O -> display tab)
Old 10-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Aviak

Default Speedup & Slowdown

Just built got a new computer and started running into problems very similar to the ones in this thread. After trying all of the suggestions and not finding a solution, I started to dig a bit more into the hardware and windows operating system to try and understand what was happening.

This error can be described as: Everything is working great and then everything slows down for a while, then everything is great again... rinse and repeat. Depending on the number of things you have going on (overlays, Fraps, shadows, particle effects, high detail) Frame rate fluctuates from 150+ to around 20 frames per second.

Before I get into what I hope is the fix, I can tell you this is not a multi-core, speedstep, or C state issue.

I am fairly certain this has everything to do with the CPU core temperature. There is something on the motherboard, or in the OS that wants to keep my CPU at 37 degrees Celsius. When my cpu is this temp, everything is fantastic. My CPU is running at 3.2ghz and I can turn on every single graphical enhancement in the game with no slowdown. If my cpu goes over 48 degrees Celsius, my cpu clocks back to 2.7ghz and everything slows down until the CPU cools down to 37 degrees. This can take a few seconds or a few minutes. Each speedup or slowdown time period is based how much I am trying to do or not do at any given time.

The "temp" fix: In bios there are a few optional settings under power management. The first one I unchecked was something to do with Fan Speed Control. Once that was unchecked the fan started running full speed. Since I had never heard the fan previously this was sort of a shock, because it kept ramping up until it now sounds like a hair dryer. I started playing the game at this point (trying my best to ignore the fan sound) and everything worked great. No slowdown. But I don't believe this is the fix. What I am doing is overriding the system that would slow down the CPU because it never reaches the temperature that would cause the slowdown.

The real fix: Is still unknown to me. I am now looking into the Intel MEBX system and chipset drivers that are installed in Windows 7. If you have a Dell PC, you can get into the MEBX configuration by pressing <ctrl>+<p> when you see the Dell logo at boot. There is a place to disable this system which will be my next thing to test tonight.

Sorry for the wall of text.
tl;dr -- Your problem may not be a multi-core issue.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:20 PM
Kobold

I've had this slowdown problem for a while now with none of the fixes working. I couldn't disable speedstep in bios so I went looking for a throttling program. Downloaded Throttlestop and may have found a semi-fix for those who still are having problems.

I have the unlocked x9100 C2D which let me play with the multiplier in throttlestop. I set it to x6 multi while in game and.. yay, no more slowdown! It seems to be linked to cpu load (lower multiplier means lower cpu speed so EQ eats up more cpu time). Tested it by running at high cpu speed again, but this time with Prime95 maxing my cpu. No slowdown at 100% usage. I guess speedstep can't kick in if you have a high % usage.

For now I'm using http://www.fossiltoys.com/cpuload.html to simulate enough usage to cancel out speedstep but not to cook my laptop. (now looking for a program to dynamically reach the speedstep cutoff instead of a static amount)

Hope this helps!
Old 11-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Sarnak

FYI:
There is a known issue with all bulldozer platform AMD CPU's when overclocked past 4.2Ghz.

When logging into any EQEmu server it kicks you back out with an error 1017.

I haven't found a solution yet... other than create more than one o/c profile and downclock back to 4.2Ghz before launching EQ.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:46 AM
Kobold

Necro posting, but this is relevant.

My laptop has horrendous slowdown / awful FPS problems. I've tried setting CPU affinity manually, using Duxa UI's fix, and using WinEQ2. None of these solved the problem on its own.

The only thing I have found to work consistently, is to open Chrome and just leave it open in the background. I'm not sure why this is a fix, but as soon as I have Chrome open (any webpage / tab, anything) the choking slow motion FPS goes away.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:31 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasterburn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's already been mentioned in this thread, but I wanted to affirm what I think is the best method for getting the game to behave itself on quad-core systems.

Change the "Target" line in your desktop shortcut so that it looks like this:

cmd.exe /C START "EverQuest" /BelowNormal /affinity 1 "F:\Everquest\eqgame.exe" patchme

Note that you will need to change the part in bold to whatever your own EQ folder is. On my machine, it's located in F:\Everquest. On your machine, it may be in a different folder. Just set it up accordingly.

In the "Start In" box, likewise make sure that it points to your Everquest folder.

That command will launch Everquest and force it to run on a single core (core1 in this case). Don't worry about the command that says "BelowNormal." That simply tells Windows not to try to run that game as a dual or quad core app. Keep in mind that the EQ client was designed long before people were running monster quad-core rigs that run with 3+ GB core speeds. So we need to tame it, if we want to keep it from glitching out.

When you make this change, your desktop icon for EQ will change. No worries... just click on the "Change icon" button for the shortcut and navigate to your EQ folder. Pick any icon that you see in there which pleases you.

Hope this helps, for anyone who may still have been confused about the procedures.
This worked for me on my Athlon II Phenom system. Super silky FPS. Thank you!
Old 11-09-2014, 01:59 PM
Decaying Skeleton

So I just came back to P99 again, and already had wineq2...but now that we have the launchtitanium.bat to use do I need to somehow point wineq at that particular file for my profile? If so can someone tell me how I go about doing that? Thanks.