Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Fire Giant

Default EQ Uninterested?

So I've had this question for a while -

What is keeping the developers and admins of EQ from just shutting all of these servers down? Is it because no one is charging anything for it?
Old 09-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Sarnak

I would think it's a couple things...

First off - they may realize that the people actually playing here, have no other alternative in terms of a 'classic' server. 900 potential customers, in other words. When everquest next comes out, or whatever... they might pull in a lot.

If they were smart, Sony would advertise here. Honestly.

If they were even smarter, they'd license an EQ 'sandbox' - then allow licensed customers who build the servers to charge for use. Like a web host for instance - you pay M$ for SQL licenses, Server Licenses, etc - then sell your 'hosting' using their software. So Sony could sell/license the dev team here a 'sandbox' EQ development kit - the devs here could do what they want and charge a small fee. Sony could require a yearly license renewal, etc.

With that - the potential for some to 'mod' EQ - heavy customization - might end up being like CounterStrike and breathe life back into EQ. CouterStrike just shut down many FPS games - even newer ones, it was so crazy popular. Quake 2 was like that too - the mods just 'made the game'.

Plus, the lawyer's fees, time, and pissing off potential (or existing) customers may just not be worth it. What kind of 'damages' would the jury award?

I keep a Sony sub going - or well, it did lapse this month, but I might use one of my cards and re-activate Vanguard. I have a few station cards at home, because Sony's stupid payment system REFUSES to take my card, I called them and they couldn't help me. If it did - I'd have a station pass.

I'd like to see Sony use some of the damn good ideas they have in a good way - like the 'load other OS' on the playstations... why not release a 'custom' version of the PS3's as a full "Linux PC" and make some serious cash. They have immense processing power. I went out of my way to get one~~

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic..._supercomputer
Old 09-03-2010, 03:07 AM
Orc

Color me stupid.. But just what kind of calculations would you be doing that would take a computer a year to compute??
Old 09-03-2010, 03:11 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashee_Feind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Color me stupid.. But just what kind of calculations would you be doing that would take a computer a year to compute??
Highly complicated calculations on the amount of radiation emitted when a black hole swallows a star.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:34 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbinbad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Highly complicated calculations on the amount of radiation emitted when a black hole swallows a star.
Ahh.. So stuff I really don't give a shit about. cool. Thanks bro [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-03-2010, 04:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashee_Feind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ahh.. So stuff I really don't give a shit about. cool. Thanks bro [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Kinda like all his posts =)
Old 09-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Fire Giant

Damn, you guys are relentless. Take your flame crap elsewhere please.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal-Elf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Kinda like all his posts =)
Bwahahaha!
Old 09-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zadrian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Damn, you guys are relentless. Take your flame crap elsewhere please.
Take your nerd crap elsewhere please. lol jokes. carry on
Old 09-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Banned

My theory, and it IS just a theory, albeit a long-standing one, is that EQ is used for training purposes at SOE. In other words, new-hire coders and developers cut their teeth on wrecking EQ before they are set loose on the rest of SOE's fail gaming library.

Of course, folks here who have experience playing Star Wars Galaxies have every right in the world to point to that game as the training environment for SOE new hires.
Closed Thread