Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 04:20 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's gone forever. Like a removed tumor.
Even though I didn't play there, it sucks to see them already shut it down. IMO the more projects like this that show up will ultimately benefit everyone interested in playing Classic EQ. More servers, more exposure, and more players means better chances of these kind of servers staying around for a very long time.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadwen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Even though I didn't play there, it sucks to see them already shut it down. IMO the more projects like this that show up will ultimately benefit everyone interested in playing Classic EQ. More servers, more exposure, and more players means better chances of these kind of servers staying around for a very long time.
Sleeper server may be gone, but as far as I know, the guild Blades of Wrath that had formed there got the source from Toop to run their own server. It's called Freeport or something on the list atm. You can log in but it's still in beta phase afaik. Nobody to play with there atm I don't think.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:08 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadwen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Kegz was such a despicable asshole that I'm glad his time and money ended up being wasted. The server was shit and he's an awful, mentally unbalanced person who shouldn't be in charge of anything. It was a huge blemish on the emu community.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:11 AM
Sarnak

I was searching YouTube one day and I stumbled across a video of the Sleeper server. At the time of watching the video I had never heard of project 1999, so I decided to give Sleepers a shot. I started a few weeks after the server launched and I ended up rolling a monk / shaman box. I leveled them all the way up to 60 and completed both of their epics. I was in Blades of Wrath and was having a great time raiding ToV and then all of a sudden they just killed the server. Apparently some douche bag that got banned from p99 started Sleepers and had some sort of god complex. I wish I would have known about Project 1999 before I started on Sleepers, man what a lot of wasted hours... I am glad I found you guys, and if Kegz is reading this, go fuck yourself!
Old 10-06-2013, 01:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsykedaddy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was searching YouTube one day and I stumbled across a video of the Sleeper server. At the time of watching the video I had never heard of project 1999, so I decided to give Sleepers a shot. I started a few weeks after the server launched and I ended up rolling a monk / shaman box. I leveled them all the way up to 60 and completed both of their epics. I was in Blades of Wrath and was having a great time raiding ToV and then all of a sudden they just killed the server. Apparently some douche bag that got banned from p99 started Sleepers and had some sort of god complex. I wish I would have known about Project 1999 before I started on Sleepers, man what a lot of wasted hours... I am glad I found you guys, and if Kegz is reading this, go fuck yourself!
His name was Toop here

He played a Dwarf Warrior

Led a guild named- Peace Pipe
Old 10-06-2013, 06:47 AM
Sarnak

I remember checking out the beta a few months before launch. I logged in and had a look around, but it seemed like a stock PEQ server with nothing visibly changed and plenty of the usual bugs that we know from the stock database. I played the beta for a couple of days and was very confused because they claimed to have been in development for two years, but even the most basic issues weren't fixed. For instance, pretty much all mobs in the game above level 10 had at least twice as much HP as they should.

I posted on the forum and Kegz said it was fixed on some internal patch that they hadn't released yet, along with a bunch of other things. I'd posted a sizeable list of problems I had encountered over the course of a few days and he basically said all of that was fixed internally. I now know that this was just another one of his trademarks: blatant lying and sweeping problems under the rug. When the server launched, not a single thing on my list was fixed.

Another thing that happened during the beta was I noticed that warrior aggro was completely fucked. Like fundamentally broken. Warriors generated more aggro with their melee attacks than other classes, to the point where you would effortlessly hold aggro from anyone by just auto-attacking with shit weapons. Taunt was an infallible aggro-grabber like in WoW, not at all like the real EQ taunt. I posted about this on the forums and Kegz, a self-proclaimed warrior veteran, insisted that warriors never had any problems holding aggro in Everquest and that proccing weapons were never needed by tanks. I categorically proved him wrong and questioned his credentials, and his faithful beta testing crew came out of the woodwork to flame me off the server for confronting Kegz about his obvious lack of EQ knowledge.

I later learned that this was not some coincidence. A lot of people had tried the beta, found it to be utter garbage, posted criticism on the forum and been lynched by Kegz' backpatters. There was a small core of beta testers who were just there to support him and basically shut up anybody who had anything negative to say. It's no wonder the server was so terrible: nothing got fixed, you just got shunned if you said anything other than "everything is fine."

Then the server launched and the rest is history. Nothing worked, it was a complete joke, and Kegz was completely destroying his own work by treating people like shit and throwing insane temper tantrums on other forums. He became the laughing stock of rerolled.org and eventually went full retard, which seemed to have been the catalyst for his decision to pull the plug.

There was also the whole DDoS thing. While it seems that he hasn't been proven guilty without a shadow of a doubt, it seems pretty obvious to me. He had spent the preceding week on a smear-campaign against P99, spamming the rerolled.org forums with veritable propaganda about this server. They had to ban him because he flooded every page of the P99 thread with bullshit insults against the server and everybody who ever played there. Then immediately after he gets banned there, P99 falls victim to DDoS attacks. Then when Kegz is caught and called out on the fact that the attacks originate from his server, he urgently shuts down The Sleeper and is never heard from again. It may not hold up in court, but it seems pretty obvious to me.

And that's the end of today's history lesson on the downfall of Kegz and his hilarious failures. It was a good show to watch, a display of a narcissistic megalomaniac who thought he could create a masterpiece but only managed to completely destroy his own reputation and work.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:21 AM
Planar Protector

he claimed to have done extensive tests on P99 that proved that AC doesn't work here.

later, i found out that he did the tests using a low level warrior in GFay.

i think maybe he just didn't realize that AC is hardcapped based on level.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Planar Protector

Took me about 2 hours to level from 3-4 in Field of Bone on an iksar monk...that was enough for me :/

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread