Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 01-04-2017, 01:05 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgiamatti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
After installing new textures to global4_chr.s3d, it recognized and selectively patched only those textures, while skipping through the rest of the S3Ds.
On the question of whether or not it patches the answer is: "it depends".

Only SOME forms of texture patching is skipped such as removing magic pink (-mp option) but others which correct things such as black splotches (-rt option) will blindly patch multiple times.

You cannot rely upon the file size to examine these changes as the size may or may not change depending on the supplied options.

I am the author of this tool and I'm telling you that by not reverting to the original before each patch you are adding additional cumulative error; the changes will be subtle at first but increase over time as some palettes are normalized. Don't do it.

I am linking again to my original post which I would encourage you to examine closely:
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?p=259375

Quote:
Textures with a full 8-bit palette will have their first index matched with the nearest color in the palette and will be blended with it at 50% opacity. The old color pixels will then be mapped to the new one, eliminating any pixels being mapped to palette index 0.

Textures with a partial palette like shoes which may have two colors (brown and black, for example), would not be suitable candidates for this solution. Instead, their palettes will be expanded to encompass mapping the old palette color to a new index and all pixels will then be updated accordingly.
Last edited by Ropethunder; 01-04-2017 at 01:13 PM..
Old 01-04-2017, 01:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropethunder [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Only SOME forms of texture patching is skipped such as removing magic pink (-mp option) but others which correct things such as black splotches (-rt option) will blindly patch multiple times.
That still doesn't explain why the batch isn't giving me any output for those successive patches though - will it repatch textures without giving output? Take qeynos_chr.s3d, for example - the only parameter passed to transpfx.exe for this S3D is -rt. So there are no -mp changes being done to this S3D at all, and it lists the files it removes transparency from on the first pass when it actually patches them. On the second pass, there are no files being listed in the output, which suggests it's skipping over them.

Would there be a way to definitively check if those textures are being written to despite the lack of output? Is there something I can check in a texture's raw data that would change after it's patched?
Last edited by paulgiamatti; 01-04-2017 at 01:48 PM..
Old 01-04-2017, 01:57 PM
Developer

I wrote this tool almost six years ago so I'm no longer well versed in its behavior. Some of the code will exit early on certain conditions but others will press on.

A way you can test which options are patching multiple times would be to use a diff tool to compare the old and the new for differences.

This is still not reliable because certain options will react differently depending on the palette of the texture being examined.

There is no good reason to remove the backup/restore functionality as this will ensure that you will always start with a known-good version.
Last edited by Ropethunder; 01-04-2017 at 02:41 PM..
Old 01-04-2017, 03:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropethunder [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A way you can test which options are patching multiple times would be to use a diff tool to compare the old and the new for differences.

This is still not reliable because certain options will react differently depending on the palette of the texture being examined.
Well, in any case, if I can find any single instance where a texture has been changed when the batch output says otherwise, then that's enough evidence to disprove my "it will never patch any texture more than once" hypothesis.

Quote:
There is no good reason to remove the backup/restore functionality as this will ensure that you will always start with a known-good version.
Right, I understand that - I'm just positing that there might actually be no reason at all to start with a known-good version when running patch_s3d_textures.bat, because it might never come across an instance where it would repatch a texture that's already been patched. Will do some more digging - thanks for the explanations!
Old 02-28-2017, 10:22 AM
Planar Protector

Added an -mp entry to patch_s3d_textures.bat for the Ulak weapon, which had its transparency broken similarly to helm visors, etc.

before & after:
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

transparency patcher: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ncypatcher.zip
Old 02-28-2017, 11:10 AM
Fire Giant

when's this going live
Mackaroni <Seal Team> - Human Monk
Old 02-28-2017, 11:42 AM
Planar Protector

In order to apply the fix for everyone they'd have to develop a patching utility that automatically installs all of the regular patch files and applies the transparency fixes as well. Would be great if they could do this eventually and also include all of Zaela's animation fixes. Otherwise, anyone is free to use the transparency patcher & Zaela's utilities to apply the fixes themselves.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:50 PM
Planar Protector

New link for the updated transparency patcher: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ozd2bs3fj...ncypatcher.zip
Old 07-29-2017, 02:00 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Any chance Crown of Narandi will get some kind of a graphic? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-29-2017, 02:08 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by surj [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Any chance Crown of Narandi will get some kind of a graphic? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
After 17 years? No.