Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs > Velious Beta > General Beta Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 01:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by koros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Indeed that's what I'm saying. Also, that formula can't be right. It should be 553 max. Burned into my memory from years of maining a rogue.
Formula was hastily copied from wiki. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Some of the other 553 BS threads:
http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=60673
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=120264
Old 04-01-2015, 01:58 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirgon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Still had enraging blow
Fixed, pending update.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fixed, pending update.
gat dayum i fucking love u lady angel nilberg.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fixed, pending update.
Being the only person in possession of this item, i officially hate
nirgon and nilbog. Although i kno nilbog is loving this, i still must express my lament for this situation.

In b4 madbadfatsad
Last edited by Detoxx; 04-01-2015 at 02:30 PM..
Old 04-01-2015, 02:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treats [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What you are saying is that 5 Rogues with 15/25 Main, 14/23 Offhand, no Aura of Battle, and no Avatar was equal to 4 Rogues with 15/19 Main, 15/20 Offhand, multiple Aura of Battles, and Avatar for the FULL DURATION of the fight.

Yes, it was normal distribution.

As mitigation AC overwhelms efficiency ATK, the distribution is shifted to the left (the mean is decreased), and as efficiency ATK overwhelms mitigation AC, the distribution is shifted to the right (the mean is increased).

I don't believe it was possible for ATK to overtake any bosses mitigation AC in Velious, not until Planes of Power when the caps were raised. Even then it may not have.

How exactly does Backstab damage not go up with increased ATK??
You seem to be confounding a probability distribution and a cumulative probability distribution.

What you describe in your normal distribution example is a plot of frequency of hits vs damage. In that case, yes atk/ac does alter the skewness of the distribution. But it is NOT a plot of atk vs ac.

You don't "overcome" a mobs ac to find some happy place of high hits. In fact, using your claim that the hit probability distribution is normal, the math requires the effects of atk vs ac to have no inflection points.

edit: corrected final part
Last edited by koros; 04-01-2015 at 03:01 PM..
Old 04-01-2015, 03:41 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
nirgon and nilbog. Although i kno nilbog is loving this, i still must express my lament for this situation.

In b4 madbadfatsad
I've always thought that, when it comes to items/quests/mobs existing as of Luclin launch, that any updates should be upgraded per a post-Luclin timeline up through about the end of PoP. They are, after all, going back to tweak Velious content to be more in-line with their game's vision. This would exclude massive tweaks (ie CT 2.0, PoM, as much as I'd like to see that zone), but would include things like AoW item ugprades, etc.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

In b4 madbadfatsad
Anichek has one...
Old 04-01-2015, 04:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:

In b4 madbadfatsad

I don't even get a mention? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Blade of Carnage sucks
Old 04-01-2015, 04:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by koros
Second, do you really thinkSecond, do you really think the programmer VI hired in 1997 actually did a normal distribution of atk vs ac or something similar? I'm certain it was a linear model. the programmer VI hired in 1997 actually did a normal distribution of atk vs ac or something similar? I'm certain it was a linear model.
I'm not sure what you mean when you are talking about the normal distribution. I don't see why ATK vs AC is even a probability distribution; its just a function of two variables returning either the average hit or a distribution over hits.

I guess what Treats is trying to say is that the incremental value of ATK should be higher when the AC of the target is higher, i.e. Avatar will give you +15% dps vs trash mobs (say 85 -> 100) but +30% dps or whatnot vs bosses (say 50 -> 65).

Of course, its still a dumb argument because even if Avatar + Vulak Weapons + 3x Aura of Battle was 2x damage, we'd still just bring 2x the rogues. Because the Avatar of War has no AOE, he's extremely vulnerable to being zerged.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not sure what you mean when you are talking about the normal distribution. I don't see why ATK vs AC is even a probability distribution; its just a function of two variables returning either the average hit or a distribution over hits.

I guess what Treats is trying to say is that the incremental value of ATK should be higher when the AC of the target is higher, i.e. Avatar will give you +15% dps vs trash mobs (say 85 -> 100) but +30% dps or whatnot vs bosses (say 50 -> 65).

Of course, its still a dumb argument because even if Avatar + Vulak Weapons + 3x Aura of Battle was 2x damage, we'd still just bring 2x the rogues. Because the Avatar of War has no AOE, he's extremely vulnerable to being zerged.
I worded that part poorly. I was referring to the surface created by atk vs ac vs average hit. Still, the implication of the arguments against what I said was that the benefits of extra attack, while attack < ac, are exponential and not linear/algorithmic. Regardless. I think we've all made our points.

I too would rather them err on the side of hard than easy. But I'd like it to be remembered accurately in case someone comes and uses this servers boards as a base for code in another 16 years.
Closed Thread