Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 10:19 AM
Large Rat

Smile Positive experience with an Awakened member

I have read a lot about the toxicity on this server so I had to share this experience. I understand this wasn’t a raid target we were dealing with, however… Last night, my wife and I just made our first trip over from Kunark with our little 17 monk/shaman duo. She died at druid rings, probably my fault for not thinking about invisibility. After 20 minutes or so to find a resurrection we set up ourselves with some “banker” mules in the EC tunnel and bound ourselves in Freeport. Made the journey over to Najena were we promptly found ourselves at the bottom of the dungeon in separate jail cells. Rathyl nuked her down and I was stuck behind the other locked gate.

Did a quick /ooc for help and an Awakened member who was leveling an alt offered to kill The Guard Captain for a key to unlock. After a while of not being about to clear or find the key, he offered to Evacuate me on his main. He took the time run to zone, evacuate me out, and pull my wife’s corpse to the entrance. When I offered to pay him what little platinum I had he refused. He then gave both of us several items which were major upgrades and a set of keys to the dungeon so we could play there later. He came back on his monk alt to power level us both while showing me exactly which camps we could set up at, how to pull them, and much more detail regarding the zone.

He is so far the most helpful person we have encountered on the server and we have been given/helped a lot by many.

TLDR: Couple of newbies died at the bottom of Najena. Got saved by a selfless Awakened member. Gifted major upgrades, shown the zone, and power leveled back the lost experience.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:02 AM
Planar Protector

It's funny because I been leveling a lowbie recently so I have had to stoop to begging for buffs in the tunnel at times.

Sometimes I just ask for sow, other times I might even ask for as much as a regen and sow! Or, a clarity if I find an unlucky chanter just looking like he needs to be pestered for buffs...

That bieng said I have found many Awakened members quite friendly and generous with their buffing.

I also have sent tells to them for advice about a specific class or spells etc., and found more Awakened members respond back with tips or advice.

I never have had a bad experience with any of them.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:00 AM
Planar Protector

Thanks for sharing OP, hopefully the same is true for any other guilds you encounter.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:42 AM
Fire Giant

I don't think any individual member has a reputation as "mean". Just as a whole they are extremely aggressive about end game raid content.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by branamil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think any individual member has a reputation as "mean". Just as a whole they are extremely aggressive about end game raid content.
That sums it up quite nicely.

I know on an individual basis there isn't anyone I really hate on blue. Collectively together everyone puts their representative guild hats on and faces off in what is rarely a show of diplomacy.

People mock the 2 high end raiding guilds for their commitment, just a shame it permeates the forum and gives new starters a wrongly bad impression of the average player here.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:03 AM
Fire Giant

Pretty much every member of every raiding guild on this server is chill as hell in a one-on-one situation.. It's only in open-racing and the RnF forum that it all goes to hell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Most of the people with bad experiences with me hang out in R&F, shocking, looks like I'm doing something right.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:26 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pretty much every member of every raiding guild on this server is chill as hell in a one-on-one situation.. It's only in open-racing and the RnF forum that it all goes to hell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is pretty much it. Raiders and even forum trolls are mostly just friendly people in game. This server would be so chill if the small group of people who turn this into a lawyerquest pixel-racing toxic wasteland were not here.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:45 AM
Sarnak

Ever heard of the D.E.N.N.I.S system?
Old 04-15-2017, 11:51 AM
Sarnak

good to hear and glad you had a good experience OP. thats the right mentality to have. altho nobody would really do anything "toxic" to a genuinely new person to the server that needed help i dont think hehe. its commonplace for people to stereotype the top guilds on these types of servers, i certainly did before i had to see what it was

all types of people are in all types of guilds, and play p99 in their own way (some buy and sell on the marketplace, collectings items/personal achievements, others like to play solo/small groups, others by a special guild charter to create a unique experience, others solely raid, ETC ) be wary of assumptions and prejudice. endgame is very competitive and political, thus its a fair assumption that someone who had a bad experience with it, or didnt know about it, getting all their information from forums would deem it "toxic". other end of the argument is what incentive do people who enjoy and participate in endgame have to tell people "its actually alot of fun, do what you enjoy and ignore the rest. if its not for you, move on"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People mock the 2 high end raiding guilds for their commitment, just a shame it permeates the forum and gives new starters a wrongly bad impression of the average player here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timarak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have read a lot about the toxicity on this server...
^ this is just it, and the lesson to be had hehe. your lvl 17 enjoying the game w friends and/or family reliving the nostalgic majesty that is classic EQ, enjoying being new again. rnf should be the last bit of any eq related reading that your doing, and is far removed from what the experience is/can be for you. had you never "read about the toxicity" of the server, said toxicity would not exist
Old 04-15-2017, 12:46 PM
Sarnak

Smile

+1 would read again. The amount of toxicity that takes place on the forums is not proportional to that which can occasionally been found in game. I found the 1-50 grind to be one of the most social and friendly experiences I've ever had in a game. It was far more friendly than live ever was. The toxicity experienced at 50-60 has more to do with the nature of non-instanced content and having a server that has been live for the better part of a decade than it does with neckbeards and basement dwellers. It's not fair to say that it doesn't happen but the black/white, red team vs blue team simplifications of the 55+ game and the guilds that participate in that content has way more to do with human psychology than it does objective reality.

Simply put, there are good, friendly people in lots of guilds. I find that if you are friendly and try to talk to people reasonably about conflicts when they come up then you run into far less issues and toxicity than if you assume the worst because of someones guild tag. Don't believe everything you read on here.
Closed Thread