Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 07-01-2014, 09:41 AM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggHurb [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
yea right now only abacab knows how to circumvent it... /sarcasm

i mean, how do u catch the people who hide their cheating from your .dll, ie the real cheaters... u cant i guess... shame on all of u
We keep trying is what we do. I think doing bans once a month is way to go for cheaters. That way its harder for them to tell what busted them. But cheaters will always cheat. Its in the blood.

If you are used to using seq, and have been for 10 years, its hard to play without.

H
Old 07-01-2014, 09:48 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggHurb [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
yea right now only abacab knows how to circumvent it... /sarcasm

i mean, how do u catch the people who hide their cheating from your .dll, ie the real cheaters... u cant i guess... shame on all of u
real cheaters play on a mac.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:07 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttcheeks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I use Comodo for security, and it triggers on this file in the new patch. I scanned the old versions and they don't raise any alarms.
I use Comodo as well, and have to re-install the newest p99 files (and disable my AV) each time I want to play EQ because Comodo has nuked the .dll file.

I guess there's a way to tell Comodo to allow this seemingly malicious file to continue unmolested?
Pickahippy - 52 Druid
All priest, all the time.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:18 AM
Planar Protector

yes tell comodo to ignore your EQ directory
Old 07-02-2014, 12:39 PM
Banned

Whatever was happening that caused severe mouse lag while p99 was open seems to have stopped recently, perhaps with this latest patch.

Has anybody else who was formerly having these very very strange mouse lag issues noticed that the problem recently went away?

I have noted that this mouse lag was exactly the same as the kind of lag that occurs when broadcasting my screen via OBS to twitch, which is unsettling to say the least, and unfortunately leads me to the following question:

Can someone in a position of knowledge tell us definitively that p99 does not in any way allow remote observation of our displays or logging of our keystrokes, either inside or outside of the client?

-your Tingrocer
Old 07-03-2014, 04:39 PM
Aviak

Granted this is my own issue -- but I play on a system where I cannot remove McAfee. This never used to be a problem until the last patch. McAfee is calling DSETUP.DLL "Artemis!" threat.

Although -- since the patch came out a week ago, and McAfee is just now calling it one -- it's probably a McAfee update.

Still though -- might be something for Devs to look into. I can't imagine there's only a few people with this issue.. probably going to be more widespread soon as all the other anti virus software gets their updates.

~phiren
Last edited by phiren; 07-03-2014 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: additional info
Old 07-03-2014, 07:40 PM
Planar Protector

if u punch Artemis into google, you would see that McAfee actively scans for new threats, and when it finds them it calls them Artemis (the name of McAfee's system that is searching your PC for these threats).

That's why it's called Artemis, because it doesn't know what virus it is, it just thinks it might be a virus.

Also, it looks like the P99 developers can put in a request with McAfee to have the file white-listed:

https://secure.mcafee.com/apps/mcafe...aspx?region=us
Old 07-03-2014, 07:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsome [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
however, based on your initial screenshot, it suggests that there should be a way to exclude this file / add it to a filter. I'd start with the "Restore" button next time that pops up.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimjaw [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
however, based on your initial screenshot, it suggests that there should be a way to exclude this file / add it to a filter. I'd start with the "Restore" button next time that pops up.
Or try right clicking the file while its highlighted like that and see if there is a exclude option.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We keep trying is what we do. I think doing bans once a month is way to go for cheaters. That way its harder for them to tell what busted them. But cheaters will always cheat. Its in the blood.

If you are used to using seq, and have been for 10 years, its hard to play without.

H
The file is obfuscated, and has two anti-cracking methods put into place; the first is the encryption and the block against .NET Reflector editing, it jumbles up the text and actively block compilers there are ways around that but I won't post that here.

The second is when it's edited a Project1999 pop-up comes up that says "this file has been corrupted, modified, and changed" as well as the DLL-2 error that pops up; the trick here is to maintain the file integrity and size; since most of the file has bullshit hex for filler (the lines upon lines of CC CC CC CC CC and 00 00 00 00 00) that must be maintained to keep the file from being rejected by the p99 client.

DLL has been cracked it's not hard at all.