Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supaskillz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The key to a stable population is not to have another 200 players who are raid ready, the key is an steady influx of new players keeping the 1-59 busy. During this era of kunark very few of the players percentage wise killed trakanon or Venril Sathir much less raided VP.

Frustration with the end game has led some people to leave this server. No doubt live eq had the same issue with some people getting sick of one guild getting everything or growing bored of seb or hs every night. If we want a vibrant classic server we need players in all level ranges. Bringing back a bunch of lvl 60s is not really what this server needs. I would like to see more new players.
Level 60's will have way more time to play on their low level alts if they don't have to spend ungodly amounts of hours tracking mobs.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 06-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armolad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
They say that you can never go home again and I've found that to be true as far as EQ is concerned. It is especially true that it is hard to compete with memories of the past.

In this case I remember the early days of EQ. The crowds at West Freeport, multiple groups working, and sometimes fighting, together at the orc camps in the commonlands. Always being able to find a necro passing through that could use a stack of bones. I remember taking forever to get my first wizard to level 16 to get the mystical spell of invisibility. And then getting killed shortly after only to be knocked back to level 15 for a day. Having a full time job and family tends to make one a casual player. If it's all about the high end content then things are fine the way that they are, but if it's about growth, then there needs to be more activity at each step of the way rather than just at the top.

Imho, this would be a good start to get another influx of players.

Can't disagree. Once pets / skillcaps and whatnot are worked out why not? It'd be neat to see P99 with the fixes in from the beginning, although, some would be unhappy about losing their hard earned characters.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:57 PM
Planar Protector

I hurt to burst the bubble on all the top guild hate but a lot of people need to realize the concept of this server is almost inherintely tied to lower population.

A lot of us are fanatical EQ lovers but many people won't spend years playing content they have before and for those that do they won't play it indefinitely. Even if every issue someone mentioned in this thread was addressed with all parties being satisfied you have to understand EQ's day has come and gone.

Velious will defintely be the biggest help with "new" content. No knock on the Devs because it is awesome they do this for us, but realize Kunark content which people had no clue about when it had launched has been end game much longer than it was on live.
Some other toons
Formerly of TZ
Old 06-14-2012, 02:58 PM
Planar Protector

To reiterate :

Spread the news. Post on old EQ boards. Tweet it. Facebook it. Post on live eq boards and progression server boards. Tell your friends. Tell Granma, she might surprise you. Get drunk and tell people about it in long obnoxious conversations. Yell it when you have sex. Draw it on the sidewalk. Shave it into your bodily hair. Call Geraldo Rivera, god knows he needs something to talk about. Skywrite it. Whizz it in the snow. Explain it to puzzled foreigners who are just trying to find the subway. Dress up like a halfling and ride the butt luge down the PCH on a sunny day.

Yknow...get the word out.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:17 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetree [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To reiterate :

Spread the news. Post on old EQ boards. Tweet it. Facebook it. Post on live eq boards and progression server boards. Tell your friends. Tell Granma, she might surprise you. Get drunk and tell people about it in long obnoxious conversations. Yell it when you have sex. Draw it on the sidewalk. Shave it into your bodily hair. Call Geraldo Rivera, god knows he needs something to talk about. Skywrite it. Whizz it in the snow. Explain it to puzzled foreigners who are just trying to find the subway. Dress up like a halfling and ride the butt luge down the PCH on a sunny day.

Yknow...get the word out.
Even if we all did our very best to spread the word it wouldn't work. Not at this point. What you would get is new people trickling in a few at a time. The new guys would log in, look around at the big empty spaces, play a few days at the most, then log out forever and never come back.

The only way it could work is to have a time when a whole horde of people all start new characters at the same time. Spread the word about that, have people lined up waiting for the doors to open (metaphorically speaking), then suddenly let them all in at the same time. THEN it could work.

How do you do that? I know people have suggested a server reset or a opening a new blue server and I suppose those would work but I'm sure we can all see the problems with both of those ideas.

The only thing I can think of which avoids those rather obvious problems but creates the same effect would be something I suggested before and nobody even really was willing to discuss it. Have a remort month.

Announce a certain period of time during which characters can be dropped to level 1 in exchange for some kind of reward. Like, say, the month of august. Then lock any newly created characters from progressing beyond level 1 untill the launch of the remort month.

Ok, build it up, spread the word. This august everyone who wants to remort can do it! Get new people lined up and waiting as well. Then do it.

BAM, on the 1st of August we have a whole crowd of level 1 characters all going up through the levels again at the same time.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Even if we all did our very best to spread the word it wouldn't work.
Contempt prior to investigation makes me sad.
Last edited by fadetree; 06-14-2012 at 03:31 PM..
Old 06-14-2012, 03:31 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetree [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dang, didn't realize you were omniscient. Sorry.
No problem, it's a common mistake.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:35 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarti0001 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This has been asked and answered 100 times.......
The Answer is Velious
Obvious temporary solution though.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:36 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxomatosii [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
of course it is, thats why EQ then released SoL, then PoP, then , well u get it.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxomatosii [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
that's what Kunark was too.
Closed Thread