Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 12-02-2014, 03:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man0warr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't use WinEQ2 on for P99 as the default windowed mode with Titanium client has always worked fine for me.

Also, you and other people suggesting 3rd party program like F.lux to get around the issue makes you guys sound like total hypocrites. Play without F.lux if you want the intended developer experience rabble rabble.

I don't want to have to use WinEQ2 or F.lux to get around this issue, doesn't that prove the whole change is retarded?
I fixed my own issues. I originally used F.lux to fix it and I found better ways to fix it. I never advocated using wineq2. I said not to use it.

It works out of the box for me - no flux, no gamma hacks in the nvidia control panel, just works and looks great. Read the thread.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:15 PM
Aviak

So we can see that this gamma change affects some people a ton, some a bit, others not at all. Then there's people who have installed 3rd party programs to undo the change completely. It's not affecting everyone in the same way, and just making a portion of the players experience miserable.

This change needs to be undone.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:19 PM
Fire Giant

The best fix that worked for me and my setup (a WinXP SP 3 machine w/ Nvidia card).

Entered the game, opened up the game options panel, selected Display, moved the Gamma slider to 100. Closed the options panel, camped the character out normally to the character select screen, exited the client from there normally with a logout. Once I was back on Desktop, I restarted my computer.

On my desktop once more, I right clicked on it to bring up my quick Windows display menu and selected NVidia control panel. Under the Display portion of the control panel I clicked on 'adjust desktop color settings'. From here I moved my Gamma from the normal 100 setting to 135.

I did install the F.lux program that was linked earlier in this thread and now I start it. I've set the 'daytime' and 'at night' settings slider bubbles all the way to the right and closed the tab.

At this point I can play the game with my UI and chat letter text at the same brightness and quality I had before. When I'm done playing the game and I'm back on my desktop, I can pull up the Nvidia panel again and take my gamma back from 135 to 100 for a normal appearance.

This is a super stupid ghetto way of keeping my UI + text looking the way before this fix, but I'll cope. I've decided to just set up a dual boot Win 7 / Win XP partition on my gaming computer and have the Win XP boot be solely for EQ use, so all of the above isn't too troublesome for me.

I really hope this helps others. It would be better if the whole thing was reverted so that the global Gamma change didn't take out the UI+ chat as a blanket effect.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:59 PM
Fire Giant

I noticed this when I logged back in... woot woot, thank glob I play a gnome [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-02-2014, 05:08 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah, it's dumb, but I guess I can't harsh on the devs too much. It's a free game, they're volunteering their time, etc. and so forth.

Plus it might just be an ongoing thing that we don't have a completely full understanding of - like, maybe some other changes they implemented required them to do this, and now they have to find a way to mitigate the gamma change, which they're probably already working on. Give them time, install f.lux, figure out a workaround for now. Support devs! Pras.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:10 PM
Developer

It was my change FYI. And it looks great on machines I used to test. Not too dark, unless you were in a dark dungeon with no light.

Testing these type of changes for the masses is difficult, except on beta. I have another attempt to fix, but it may never get tried due to the complexities of testing.

If I were able to reproduce the results other have had, then I could test if it is possible at all.

To the people screaming and complaining: It was put out to test on the beta server. Testing takes place on beta. Get used to it.

H
Old 12-02-2014, 06:22 PM
Planar Protector

So since the vast majority are having issues in testing, is the change going to be reverted? Velious and Blue share patches at the moment so it's already live.

No one is against gamma changes in EverQuest (humans should be punished) - people are complaining that your implementation is causing issues OUTSIDE of EverQuest that require computer restarts to fix unless you use 3rd party programs. This doesn't seem like the type of change to push straight to Blue/Red without feedback but I guess that is more up to Rogean/Nilbog than you.

Blue
Tofusin - 60 Monk <BDA>
Shiroe - 60 Enchanter
Manowarr - 60 Druid
Last edited by Man0warr; 12-02-2014 at 06:24 PM..
Old 12-02-2014, 06:23 PM
Fire Giant

Would it be possible to just darken the game world (avoiding the UI) by using the necessary D3D9 methods?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.85).aspx

Edit, bah, nm, this affects the entire screen too. Hmm.

Edit 2 - I think the only way to affect ONLY the game world might be to run its RGB values through a simple macro that reduces them by whatever amount makes sense for the char/equip/place. Probably the lights' RGBs, but I suppose vertex RGBs would work too. /shrug
Last edited by Malrubius; 12-02-2014 at 06:37 PM..
Old 12-02-2014, 06:30 PM
Developer

It did not darken my UI though.

H
Old 12-02-2014, 06:42 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It did not darken my UI though.

H
Perhaps you can share your set up. a quick copy and paste from dxdiag.