Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 01:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Truthbearer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To loramin's point, see this thread for ways myself and others have kept their #1 focus on getting levels while looting our own gear along the way:

http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=185493
That thread rocks, great link Sage!

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:47 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm going to go against the grain and suggest that you ignore all of the above advice, especially since you are playing a caster class. In EverQuest plat doesn't really help you level (unless you have enough to buy something like a Fungal Tunic), but leveling helps you earn a lot more plat.

In other words you can choose from spending time getting plat now (when you can earn maybe 10 plat an hour, not counting the time you spend selling in EC) and then level at the exact same rate as if you hadn't, or you can focus on leveling now, and spend time getting plat when you're 40 and can kill hill giants (100+ plat an hour), or when you're 50 and can kill Seafuries (500+ plat an hour).

As for buying your spells, you really only need a few per level (every class has a bunch of less useful or even complete garbage spells you don't need), and ...

... you'll make enough money to buy the spells you need while you are busy earning XP.

TLDR: Don't get sidetracked by all the twinks on the server. You can earn enough plat to buy the important spells while you level, and if you focus on leveling now you'll make much more plat in the long run than if you waste time earning plat.

P.S. If you run around in crappy gear, you also increase the odds that a kind player might notice and give you some better gear.

P.P.S. If you really do want to earn plat now, another good resource is the Treasure Hunting Guide. Admittedly the forum post Grimjaw linked has more ideas, but the wiki guide has a much more readable format.
I would say this is good advice if your primary enjoyment is in leveling and getting to the top. For myself, I don't like to spend my time hunting things that don't give xp just for money, although I'll play the lotto on black bears as I pass by, etc. Since I like my characters to earn on their own, I do direct my leveling to paths that are as lucrative as I can manage. Scarcity is part of why this game remains engaging to me for so long but whatever works.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko37qtl [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would say this is good advice if your primary enjoyment is in leveling and getting to the top.
Yeah, I should have prefaced my post with "Rule #1: This is a game and you should play it any way that's fun for you. But, if you're looking for the most efficient way to progress your character ..."

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:04 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, I should have prefaced my post with "Rule #1: This is a game and you should play it any way that's fun for you. But, if you're looking for the most efficient way to progress your character ..."
Definitely most efficient.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:37 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Hi all,

Thank you for the responses and information. I ended up going red so some of these things will be too difficult to do (crushbone) and the market for newbie stuff seems fairly low. I talked with some people and they suggested just level and try to work with minimal income for a bit until I can port/farm so that seems to be my next step.

Thank you,
Kayris
Old 03-28-2015, 11:59 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realanlon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
HQ pelts seemed like the best way to make coin in the early levels for me. I sold a few HQ bear pelts and was pretty much set until level 20.
This. Full set of bronze by level 10, simply from selling HQs.
Closed Thread