Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Kobold

I've kinda been bashing the F2P live in these posts, so I do want to give some perspective on why F2P would be pretty good (if it weren't for the prestige item/AA cap idiocy). The following opinions are based on the idea that I'm not giving SoE another dime, so I'd be forever in the "Silver" category.

First, the race/class restrictions. They wouldn't bother me a bit. I have no desire to start out at level 1 again. You can still play toons you created before F2P.

You'd be limited to being one expansion behind. Not really a big deal for me. When I played on live, I'd go MONTHS without purchasing the latest expansion. Even when I was in my most hardcore stages, I don't remember ever coming close to finishing the current content before the new expansion came out. I have much less time now, so being an expansion behind wouldn't really be an issues for me. Plus, there will probably be entire guilds of F2P players who all will be 1 expansion behind. You probably won't feel too forced into getting the new expansion with everyone else in the same boat.

Limited to only rank 1 spells. Not a big deal for me. There are advantages to having the higher rank spells, but as far as I know, no rank 2 or 3 is a requirement. They are just more efficient/more powerful.

Bag slots and coin limits don't mean much. If you need more room, just make another account. It isn't like you have to pay for the accounts anymore. Additionally, you could store plat in items (like gems as I remember monks with weight limits doing) to get around plat caps. An annoyance but not really an issue.

You won't have the best mercs, but to be honest, since you can now box as many toons as your comp(s) can handle, why wouldn't you just make an army of alts instead of relying on mercs? Your alts will be much stronger than any merc if you spend a little time to level, gear and AA them up. Plus, you have control over them. Mercs (from what I have read) are dumb as hell and hard to control.

There are downsides I haven't mentioned, though the prestige items (raid gear from the past FOUR expansion AND ALMOST ALL AUGS) and AA cap are the big ones. I just didn't want to sound too doom and gloom.

The only real big one that I can think of at the moment is that you will basically HAVE to box. EQ is not a very graphics heavy game. With a decent comp, you could probably easily 3box, if not box a whole group. And since it won't cost you anything, most people are going to box a TON. I figure at least a handful of people will try to box enough to do raid content all by themselves. Good luck finding groups.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:45 PM
Planar Protector

I wasn't aware of all the stuff you loose playing Live for Free. Kind of sucky I think. I knew there had to be a catch lol.

Guess I will give it a try, but probably won't make me give up playing here full time.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Fire Giant

This server is perfect if it wasnt for the complaining up top. I think everyone should step back and realize how good we have it here before its gone.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuces [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This server is perfect if it wasnt for the complaining up top. I think everyone should step back and realize how good we have it here before its gone.
so true
Old 02-26-2012, 05:37 PM
Orc

Not a chance.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:42 PM
Aviak

Live got to "big" for me. I have never been an end game player, and all the expansions were just to big, to involved for me. So, I won't go back there, as I have no interest in reliving all of that.
Closed Thread