Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 01:07 PM
Planar Protector

Default Party Level Difference

What is the max level difference between two party members to allow exp gain? Are there any penalties for grouping a higher level with a lower level and if so what are they?

I read on the offical eq forums that the higher level player has to be within half their level with the lower level. (level 30 and level 15 for example) I am not sure if this is accurate to p99 however.

I searched the wiki and the forums for this and I could not find anything. Perhaps I missed it.

Thank you for your time.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:09 PM
Planar Protector

1/2 your level +5 so a 15 could group with a 35.

grouping with higher level players kills your exp since they suck most of it up. More than hybrid penalties if they are like 4+ levels on you
Old 07-24-2014, 01:27 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhambuk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

grouping with higher level players kills your exp since they suck most of it up. More than hybrid penalties if they are like 4+ levels on you
The highest level member can be 3/2 of the lowest level member's level.

Alternatively the lowest level member must be at least 2/3 of the highest level member.

Edit: Experience is allocated by the member's total exp gained. Since a level 40 iksar monk would have more total exp gained than a level 40 halfling warrior, the monk would suck a higher percentage of exp than the warrior.
Last edited by kruptcy; 07-24-2014 at 01:29 PM..
Old 07-24-2014, 01:35 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhambuk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Might be that you made a mistake. If the formula is understood to be [Level] + (1/2)[Level] + 5 that comes out to be 27.5. Tbh, don't know if it rounds up or down.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:48 PM
Kobold

Quote:

I think this is a very misunderstood mechanic. Higher levels don't "suck more xp" from lower levels in the sense that the mob's give unequal experience to each player in the group. The way it works is that the group gets experience equivalent to what the mob /considers to the highest level in the group, which is then distributed evenly.

For example, if we have a level 40 and a level 35 working together and the mob /considers as Light Blue to the level 40, but Dark Blue to the level 35, then both characters split the experience from the mob as if it were Light Blue. Conversely, if the mob is Dark Blue to the level 40, then both players recieve 100% of the normal experience split evenly between them (no different than two level 35's grouping together).

You might notice that sometimes group members will ask the highest level in the group: "Hey, what does that mob /consider to you?" . . . the reason they're asking, is they want to know how much experience the group is receiving for certain mob's, because it is always based on the /consider of the highest level player in the group.

Also to my understanding, the following describes the amount of experience received from the mob relative to what it normally gives:

Dark Blue: 100%
Light Blue: 50%
XP Green's: 25%

When looking at the chart, one must also consider that different mobs give different amounts of experience, even if they both /consider as Dark Blue. For example. when comparing a Dark Blue Decaying Skeleton to a Dark Blue Spiderling, you might receive up to X4 as much exprience from the Spiderling. The variation is less in the higher levels, but it's still there.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:52 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adolphus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think this is a very misunderstood mechanic. Higher levels don't "suck more xp" from lower levels in the sense that the mob's give unequal experience to each player in the group. The way it works is that the group gets experience equivalent to what the mob /considers to the highest level in the group, which is then distributed evenly.

For example, if we have a level 40 and a level 35 working together and the mob /considers as Light Blue to the level 40, but Dark Blue to the level 35, then both characters split the experience from the mob as if it were Light Blue. Conversely, if the mob is Dark Blue to the level 40, then both players recieve 100% of the normal experience split evenly between them (no different than two level 35's grouping together).

You might notice that sometimes group members will ask the highest level in the group: "Hey, what does that mob /consider to you?" . . . the reason they're asking, is they want to know how much experience the group is receiving for certain mob's, because it is always based on the /consider of the highest level player in the group.

Also to my understanding, the following describes the amount of experience received from the mob relative to what it normally gives:

Dark Blue: 100%
Light Blue: 50%
XP Green's: 25%

When looking at the chart, one must also consider that different mobs give different amounts of experience, even if they both /consider as Dark Blue. For example. when comparing a Dark Blue Decaying Skeleton to a Dark Blue Spiderling, you might receive up to X4 as much exprience from the Spiderling. The variation is less in the higher levels, but it's still there.

This is a post about a misunderstood mechanic by someone who doesn't understand the mechanic. Experience is absolutely not distributed evenly amongst group members.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:00 PM
Kobold

In the interest of procrastinating at work, I will dissect the post:

Quote:
Higher levels don't "suck more xp" from lower levels in the sense that the mob's give unequal experience to each player in the group. The way it works is that the group gets experience equivalent to what the mob /considers to the highest level in the group, which is then distributed evenly.
Holding all else equal, as the person you are grouped with increases in level relative to you, you will receive a smaller cut of the exp from the mob. What the mob "cons" to the group is based on some average of the level of the group members, not exclusively what it cons to the highest member of the party. If this were the case, straight greens to the highest level of a party would give no experience whatsoever.

Quote:
It is true that 2 dark blues can give different amounts of exp, but 2 mobs of the same level in the same zone will ALWAYS give identical exp. The only determining factors in how much exp an enemy will give is the mob's absolute level, the mob's relative level to you (blue, LB, green), and the zone exp modifier.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:22 PM
Sarnak

Your level * 1.5 = Max level you can group/party with
Old 07-24-2014, 04:47 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruptcy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In the interest of procrastinating at work, I will dissect the post:

Holding all else equal, as the person you are grouped with increases in level relative to you, you will receive a smaller cut of the exp from the mob. What the mob "cons" to the group is based on some average of the level of the group members, not exclusively what it cons to the highest member of the party. If this were the case, straight greens to the highest level of a party would give no experience whatsoever.

It is true that 2 dark blues can give different amounts of exp, but 2 mobs of the same level in the same zone will ALWAYS give identical exp. The only determining factors in how much exp an enemy will give is the mob's absolute level, the mob's relative level to you (blue, LB, green), and the zone exp modifier.
I am perfectly willing to accept your theory if you can show proof / evidence or if we can get a developer to back up your claim. From the testing I've done over the last 5 years, I maintain that my theory on how it works is correct, as it appears to fall exactly in line with what I've experienced when grouping with different levels.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruptcy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Mobs that /consider straight green to the highest level of a party give zero experience whatsoever to any players in the group. Now that you mentioned this, I have to conclude that your theory really isn't tested at all and you're have no real understanding of this yourself. How, after playing this game for any period, could you not know that mobs that /consider straight green to the highest member don't give xp to anyone in the group?
Last edited by Adolphus; 07-24-2014 at 04:53 PM..
Old 07-24-2014, 04:49 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adolphus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am perfectly willing to accept your theory if you can show proof / evidence or if we can get a developer to back up your claim. From the testing I've done over the last 5 years, I maintain that my theory on how it works is correct, as it appears to fall exactly in line with what I've experienced when grouping with different levels.
I know it's not great to use a wiki as proof of anything, but here ya go:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Game_Mec...for_Experience
Closed Thread